[Mk2] [Turbo] engine mods, engine swap, more power etc etc.....

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] engine mods, engine swap, more power etc etc.....

Post by Ryan S »

whoops, at work so missed a few posts, right, as per the advice above, I think i'll start with turbo, ECU and fuelling on my current engine, i might actually try and pick up a camry in the meantime, and whip the engine out. I do like the thought of a 2.2 :-k

Jim, are you saying that the stock pistons can take 350bhp ok? (that sounds like i'm saying they can't but i'm genuinely asking, hard to get that across on here)

I don't think i'll ever be after silly power, I'm more trying to keep the car up to date, I see some of these VAG engines putting out stupid power on stock internals and stuff, well, hearing about it from friends etc so it could easily be nonsense.

thanks again for the input fellas :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182710

Swap out, drop in....

yummy V6, 330bhp... and an awesome Mk1 left over at the end.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182710

Swap out, drop in....

yummy V6, 330bhp... and an awesome Mk1 left over at the end.

oooooh, that is very interesting, Not sure i want a supercharger though!!

there's something about a nice turbo whistle that I just like, I'll see if this is around in a few months when I free up said cash. pretty epic build all the same :shock:
Quibble

Post by Quibble »

bobhatton wrote:
sheppy wrote:that's the plan Bob, obviously i'll come straight to you with any advice I need on compression ratios, are the 5s blocks easy enough to get a hold of?? what needs done to the block before I can use it?? I can source one and get the machine work done at my end.

No they are not easy to find over here.

No work needs to be done to the block apart from fitting oil squirters
You will need custom 5s/3s pistons and I would also get the correct rods to fit the 5S crank, not turn it down to fit 3S rods

Don't you have to get some work done on the water ways on the 5s block where it meets the rev3 head, to allow the water to flow through them? If you know what I mean.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Right, after a wee think about this today and a bit of research i think the 3s block is well capable of what i want to achieve, so, next question is for Bob Hatton, what CR pistons should i buy? I can't remember who was singing the Gtx28rs praises in a different thread but i think i'll go with that, so what fuel rail and injectors should i buy? This is an area i'm VERY sketchy in! That just leaves ECU and obviously i can figure which fuel pump to use myself.

Just another quick thing, which size pistons? 86mm? Do i have to get the block bored/honed or do i just stick the forgies in and bed them in? All advice welcome again folks, it's been a long time since i properly checked out any builds etc. i originally planned to buy a used turbo off here bit i think it's honna have to be a new one just for peace of mind.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Just to add, engine already has new oil and water pump and i think i have all necessary service items in my garage, thankfully i never managed to shift the new gasket set i thought i didn't need :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

You won't know what sized pistons until the bores are checked.
Smaller the better really on a 3s to avoid potential cracking.

Given you want to use your own block, I still think your better off getting a decent map on some uprated injectors and that turbo and see how long the engine lasts.
You can fit these all yourself, just mapping costs and you could have a potential 340-350hp.
This setup alone could last you for years potentially.

I would only forge when I needed to, OR if I decided to get a spare block in the mean time.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I think i'm actually gonna do just that Jim, just arranged to buy Martin Fs TD05, gonna convert it to external wastegate. He offered me a rev3 tubby block too so i may take that as well. I thought i'd better bite the bullet or i'll just keep changing my mind.

As with JDs build he wasn't getting any detonation at all, so no need for forgies other than peace of mind.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Quibble wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
sheppy wrote:that's the plan Bob, obviously i'll come straight to you with any advice I need on compression ratios, are the 5s blocks easy enough to get a hold of?? what needs done to the block before I can use it?? I can source one and get the machine work done at my end.

No they are not easy to find over here.

No work needs to be done to the block apart from fitting oil squirters
You will need custom 5s/3s pistons and I would also get the correct rods to fit the 5S crank, not turn it down to fit 3S rods

Don't you have to get some work done on the water ways on the 5s block where it meets the rev3 head, to allow the water to flow through them? If you know what I mean.

No you do not have to, just use a 5S gasket, but some do mods on the head.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:Right, after a wee think about this today and a bit of research i think the 3s block is well capable of what i want to achieve, so, next question is for Bob Hatton, what CR pistons should i buy? I can't remember who was singing the Gtx28rs praises in a different thread but i think i'll go with that, so what fuel rail and injectors should i buy? This is an area i'm VERY sketchy in! That just leaves ECU and obviously i can figure which fuel pump to use myself.

Just another quick thing, which size pistons? 86mm? Do i have to get the block bored/honed or do i just stick the forgies in and bed them in? All advice welcome again folks, it's been a long time since i properly checked out any builds etc. i originally planned to buy a used turbo off here bit i think it's honna have to be a new one just for peace of mind.

How much boost are you going to run and when will it come in? The pistons and CR is worked out after you know all the parts that are going to go into the engine.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

As per Jims post i'm gonna upgrade the turbo and fuelling in the meantime and see how long the stock pistons last. I'll probably run around 1.2 bar maybe a touch more depending in fuelling. :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

any advice on injectors and fuel rails anyone?? away to sort out a list of parts I need, also, I need an ECU that is a popular choice for mappers, I don't want to have to travel away down south to get it mapped :(
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

if you can find sard/denso 800s or 850s, keep the standard rail.

the standard gen3 rail can flow plenty.

i had a oem fpr and rail on my old 400hp car.

ecu, well power fc is still nice, if you can get one with a commander.

but ecus have progressed since then, but depends how much you want to spend.
obviously i cant advise for tuners in scotland, am sure a few on here can help you out there and advise on ecus those places like to use.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:if you can find sard/denso 800s or 850s, keep the standard rail.

the standard gen3 rail can flow plenty.

i had a oem fpr and rail on my old 400hp car.

ecu, well power fc is still nice, if you can get one with a commander.

but ecus have progressed since then, but depends how much you want to spend.
obviously i cant advise for tuners in scotland, am sure a few on here can help you out there and advise on ecus those places like to use.

a good, do i need to modify the stock rail?? just had a quick look for ECUs, pretty few and far between for the mr2 :( I think i'll have to grab a used power FC. there is one on ebay for £750. i would be interested to see what my own blitz ecu is capable of first, got a bit more info on it, mapped for 1.5 bar and has knock control as well as all the other gubbins, I'd only be curious to see what it could do, this will be getting sold anyway, they go for an extortionate amount!!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:any advice on injectors and fuel rails anyone?? away to sort out a list of parts I need, also, I need an ECU that is a popular choice for mappers, I don't want to have to travel away down south to get it mapped :(

Just get a MoTec ECU, it will do anything you want and can be programed anywhere in the world.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

bobhatton wrote:
sheppy wrote:any advice on injectors and fuel rails anyone?? away to sort out a list of parts I need, also, I need an ECU that is a popular choice for mappers, I don't want to have to travel away down south to get it mapped :(

Just get a MoTec ECU, it will do anything you want and can be programed anywhere in the world.

any link Bob?? i was wanting to keep the ECU under £1k :(
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

not gona happen with a motec!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:not gona happen with a motec!

I'll see what's available and report back, very tempted to fit turbo and injectors and get it on the rollers, could check the AFRs and keep upping the boost, it's all well and good saying my Blitz ECU has safe maps for 1.5 bar but there's no way I can confirm that :( of all the Mr2 I'ver ever had this is the only one that doesn;t run pig rich.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

your not going to be able to fit bigger injectors and keep the blitz ecu.

it wont be mapped for anything other than stock injectors/turbo etc.

it is just a generic oem tweaked map.

i wouldnt mind trying one though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:your not going to be able to fit bigger injectors and keep the blitz ecu.

it wont be mapped for anything other than stock injectors/turbo etc.

it is just a generic oem tweaked map.

i wouldnt mind trying one though.

gaaah, I knew that, what am I thinking ](*,)

right, Blitz ecu is out the window, I;ve never driven with a stock rev3 ecu so I can't even give you a comparison, speed limit removed, rev limit raised to 8k and apparently better/leaner ,maps. it really is a lucky dip with these ECUs though. why (and how) can they map them to 1.5 with stock injectors? bloody waste of money really :(

Return to “Modifications”