just got mr2 back from Xxxx @ mr2developments

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JD

Re: just got mr2 back from Xxxx @ mr2developments

Post by JD »

JD wrote:What work did you actually have done? Did Xxxx take any detailed photos while carrying out the work?
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

bobhatton wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:
sheppy wrote:

there would need to be air in the system to have air bubbles, there shouldn't any air at all :-k

I dont know but pwr recommend the same as what shaid said

Your charge cooler should never be the highest point as that is where air will collect. Where is the pump and what way does it pump?
Your highest point should some sort of swirl pot with your fill point and pressure cap.

I agree but i want my boot so where else would u put it
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

QUOC2008 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:

Your charge cooler should never be the highest point as that is where air will collect. Where is the pump and what way does it pump?
Your highest point should some sort of swirl pot with your fill point and pressure cap.

This is the normal way and place to fit a charge cooler without having to turn the turbo round the wrong way

Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

bobhatton wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

This is the normal way and place to fit a charge cooler without having to turn the turbo round the wrong way

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/Hattoni/3041bea6.jpg[/URL]

Yes but how much bhp and lag would you get doing it that way... mine pwr is good for 600+
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

QUOC2008 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:

Use a different charge cooler. That looks like a 350hp charge cooler to me.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Last edited by QUOC2008 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

QUOC2008 wrote:On their website its says 625bhp

This one:

http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index.php ... cfafa1bd8a

£750? :shock:

Agreed with the other guys. There should ALWAYS be a bleed point at the highest location in any liquid based system.
Last edited by Peter Gidden on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:On their website its says 625bhp

This one:

http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index.php ... cfafa1bd8a

£750? :shock:

Lol yeah just fits its just the hoses that need changing to 180% hoses sorted thank guy for helping
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I just wanted everything to be clean and neat no mad boot mount chargecooler and wanted to make sure if i wanted more power then i wouldnt have to do any more then a bigger turbo but wanted no lag and this was the best solution other then a different engine or different car but this is my child hood dream car when i was young so its got to be a mr2
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Car looks fantastic mate ... love the bronze gtrs on black paintwork. :clap:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Tbh I like that it's different from the usual charge cooler setup. It is bad to have no bleed point though. I'm sure you'll work something out.

I had a PWR lined up to use with the rotrex supercharger I had planned on the beams. Sadly it never happened!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

QUOC2008 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/Hattoni/3041bea6.jpg[/URL]

Yes but how much bhp and lag would you get doing it that way... mine pwr is good for 600+

If you cooler is good for 600 bhp, my one will be good for1500 bhp as it has 4 times the area for cooling than your small one.
There is no lag at all full boost off the line in hill climbs and sprints.

You will never find a turbo that will give 600 bhp and no lag, the two do not go together.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

bobhatton wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

If you cooler is good for 600 bhp, my one will be good for1500 bhp as it has 4 times the area for cooling than your small one.
There is no lag at all full boost off the line in hill climbs and sprints.

You will never find a turbo that will give 600 bhp and no lag, the two do not go together.

True but thats what the pwr sites says wheather its true or not who knows.

Lag i know i know u will alway get lag but i was trying to get as little lag as poss... so whats chargecooler u got
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Not trying to be rude to anyone i really dont know much i happy for all the input everyone is giving... but there was a lotus 600whp no lag but had a twin charge setup super and turbo charger but i heard they r unreliable
ashley

Post by ashley »

Honest question for you...

Why do you think this:

bobhatton wrote:

Will be laggier than this:

QUOC2008 wrote:

Looking at the two I'd say you've got a longer inlet tract between the turbo and TB now by swapping the turbo around...curious?

Oh- and where did your thread in the Member's section go? Keen to see pictures of the finished engine bay, I'm guessing the picture above was before it was complete judging by the lack of cc water pipes and general wiring?
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

ashley wrote:Honest question for you...

Why do you think this:

Will be laggier than this:

Looking at the two I'd say you've got a longer inlet tract between the turbo and TB now by swapping the turbo around...curious?

Oh- and where did your thread in the Member's section go? Keen to see pictures of the finished engine bay, I'm guessing the picture above was before it was complete judging by the lack of cc water pipes and general wiring?

I never said i think it is 650bhp... im going on what the site says and these pwr systems are different to standard ones again going on what the site says. according to pwr more efficient but i dont know im just going on the site spec and what they say. Hey what do i know ? If u know better and tried and tested please explain to me because i honestly dont know
ashley

Post by ashley »

Not claiming I know anything more than you mate! Just wanted to understand how your set up would be less laggy than one with an apparently shorter boost pipe set up...sounds like it's all in the design of the cc core itself, and is down to whether you believe PWR's claims. I have no reason to doubt anything you've typed, and I'm glad you've shared :thumleft:

Any pics of the finished engine bay?
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I can only assume the flow is better so the effieciency is better but this is a assumtion.

Effiecient meaning bends and square shape cc 'air' gets traped or turbulance happens can cause lag and ineffeciency the pwr cc is staight so air flow is less restrictive faster and water flow through the barrel faster...

whether this really works or not i dont know but im running 450bhp and the barrel is cool and never felt it heat up, lag i dont know but the spoolup starts from 2700rpm and around 4k rpm is peak torque and boost.

if someone has better results please let me know im interested.
Last edited by QUOC2008 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

From memory Roy Ashby used one of their cores in his drag car, so I guess they do work.

Any pictures of the finished engine bay?
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Its different now the rad is at the front...
Last edited by QUOC2008 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”