Sealing leaking roof.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pauln

Re: Sealing leaking roof.

Post by Pauln »

Well there's this one:
Guide one

Or even this one:
Guide Two
(unfortunately pictures are now missing)

Me I'm a cheap skate and use silicone. But that's probably because I used to ride around on old Triumphs, and found it was the only way to try and keep the oil inside them :D

Paul
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

That will be last resort before the saving for seals starts lol.
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

RedMR² wrote:I'm completely amazed that people are willing to bodge silicon sealant on what is supposedly their pride and joy.

Just do it right and fit new seals. They've lasted like 20 years, small outlay given how long they last!

Silicon sealant is such a cheap bodge. In fact, why use sealant, chewing gum is cheaper. Try that maybe?

cheap bodge yes but given the cost of new seals, thanks but I'll make that decision for myself. Agreed, if you have the money to spend then use seals are the way to do it.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

and actually, they lasted less than 10yrs before leaking :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

raptor95GTS wrote:and actually, they lasted less than 10yrs before leaking :thumleft:

my old rev2 lasted 7 years (that i know of) with the silicone trick, did it when i got the car, never touched it again and it never leaked, well worth the 2 pence worth of silicone i used :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

i thought so, although i would have put a towel over the glass! me and my luck, bang shatter crash :lol:
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

have a look for auto finesse revive I and a fellow member had the groin leak along with a seep towards the rear of the glass and i put a couple of
coats of this on. It's designed to revive the seals and cause them to go back to there original condition and guess what it's stopped both our leaks.

Maybe worth a shot as it's about 10 quid for a bottle and you can use it for other plastics to.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

woz_106 wrote:have a look for auto finesse revive I and a fellow member had the groin leak along with a seep towards the rear of the glass and i put a couple of
coats of this on. It's designed to revive the seals and cause them to go back to there original condition and guess what it's stopped both our leaks.

Maybe worth a shot as it's about 10 quid for a bottle and you can use it for other plastics to.

Ive read about that somewhere, also read that to get the best you can put old seals in a warm bath for a couple of hours to let it expand then coat it with rubber gel treatment so i might give that a shot :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gullzter wrote:
woz_106 wrote:have a look for auto finesse revive I and a fellow member had the groin leak along with a seep towards the rear of the glass and i put a couple of

Ive read about that somewhere, also read that to get the best you can put old seals in a warm bath for a couple of hours to let it expand then coat it with rubber gel treatment so i might give that a shot :lol:

I've also read about somebody putting them in the dishwasher!!! Apparently it works a treat!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”