clutch slipping at Drag Strip, dec 2015 query? new clutch time! OS Giken!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: clutch slipping at Drag Strip, dec 2015 query? new clutch time! OS Giken!!!

Post by jimGTS »

any time i did something close to that it would bog, almost stall, as im running sticky R1Rs.
though guess i could have tried an even higher rev range then dumped it to endeuce some spin.
though then id be worrying about my box/cv joints!

i dont think i was doing anything abnormal to be honest.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

While slipping isn't great for the clutch, these do launch well with some slip, was also never any bother on my old car with stock clutch, rev2 about 260bhp or there abouts.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Jim, take it to 5k and drop the clutch mate and see what it does buddy... I think the issue lies with the launch being honest mate. I totally understand where you are coming from but I don't think the clutch will be able to cope. I had it myself with my first mr2.

If 5k is too much then work down from there :)

Hope you get to the bottom of it :thumleft:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
Marf

Post by Marf »

I found the best launch was 3k and side step the clutch. Granted not on the strip but it never failed on the road with AD08s.

I would generally get the clutch level with the foot rest, raise the revs, then side step off the clutch and nail the throttle. IMO the key is loading up the drive train as fast as you can so any slip is at the tyres instead of the clutch.

No handbrake involved. Perfect launch every time.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i tried a bunch of different things.

i tried 5k-ish side step, it nearly stalled (bogged due to good grip off the line).
most of my launches were 3-4k, with a small amount of slip to get rolling.
perhaps i could have tried a 6k side step!

side stepping at low rpm just causes bogging imo.
its not as if i was getting away super slow, 2.1-2.2 60ft times arnt "that bad", just could be better.

as mentioned, i only used handbrake as ive had moments at santa pod where you roll back a tad. i didnt use it to load the engine or anything.
perhaps i should load it and side step when the handbrake is down?

hard things to try out when your on and been waiting 45mins infront of a crowd!

i didnt have these issues in my old car i might had.
i got down to pulling 1.9 60ft times, just the gearbox didnt like it at the time, (started to crunch/miss gears). so never got a decent time on that car (12.8), even though i had terminals 10mph more than now.

i dont think its down to super bad technique, more the fact this clutch/setup doesnt like it i think.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Didn't want to mention it but when my clutch gave up i had these same symptoms, it rapidly deteriorated once it did start to slip. Was minimal to begin with and only in drag race situations, then after an unbelievabley short amount of time it was slipping constantly under boost. Whipped out the clutch and the friction plate was knackered.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Bogging down under 5k revs seems nuts to me. I know R1Rs are grippy beasts but it seems like there might be an issue with the clutch preventing the power getting through to the tyres, to me...

Interested to hear what the results are.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Imo, You just have to accept what is happening, if you are wanting to do quarter miles etc. you will have to bite the bullet and get a better clutch, if you can do without that PB feeling, carry on as, Simples :wink:
Marf

Post by Marf »

I'm inclined to agree. Your clutch should be able to overcome the surface at Pod and your R1Rs when sidestepping at 5k, IMO.

As Bob points out, dropping the clutch and controlling the wheelspin is the best way, makes the tyres take all the stress.

2 years straight you've had clutch issues on the strip. Time to bite the bullet and get the clutch refreshed/replaced. :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Boo!!

:-)

Thought this clutch be up to the job
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

There is absolutely no way it should be bogging at 5k on a hard launch on that turbo buddy. As said above.. I'd throw that clutch away as it's looking like the problem :(

Hopefully not too costly an exercise :)
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:Boo!!

But without knowing what kind of miles are on it's just a guessing game. Could be down to the rivets but coping really well :(
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Marf wrote:I'm inclined to agree. Your clutch should be able to overcome the surface at Pod and your R1Rs when sidestepping at 5k, IMO.

As Bob points out, dropping the clutch and controlling the wheelspin is the best way, makes the tyres take all the stress.

2 years straight you've had clutch issues on the strip. Time to bite the bullet and get the clutch refreshed/replaced. :thumleft:

This ^^ , as a last hail mary jump under the car and have someone engage and disengage the clutch while you have eyeball on the slave cylinder checking its operating properly. If that's working as it should, its new clutch time unfortunately. I've run out of excuses :( for it not hooking up :cry:

I have been looking on fensport and you can basicly build your own clutch by choosing pressure plate clamping force and clutch disc, ceramic for drag and race or organic for performance and dally driver (traffic).

Best of luck I'm in the same boat with my st205 (expensive fix :sick:)

Ps. I thought the way you launch your car looked alright (I've always hard launched, lots of time wasting wheel spin :eye: good fun though :mrgreen: )
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

jimGTS wrote:Boo!!

http://www.osgiken.net/products.php?product=trseries
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Went for a run today

All of a sudden any big load at high boost it started to slip.
First time it's done it on the road.

So I checked out the clutch adjustment.
There was now no free play. (There used to be last time checked prob 10months ago).
I wound in the rod a couple of turns to lower engagment and this in turn gave me some free play again.

Clutch engagment now on the low side compared to before.
Had no slip problems the rest of the day at high boost. Struggled a little more getting it into 1st when rolling, other than that seemed fine.

I still think it's due a change at some point, but for the road, it's fine at the mo. Famous last words maybe.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Might i advise, since you love going to drag strips. You get a 6 puk unsprung clutch. Will save you money in the long run. Once you get used to it like I have it's fine for every day use too.

Very grabby, prefect for launching
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Thought I'd update this thread.

Again, no clutch issues at all in all this time on the road, even at the track at Castle Combe.

Decided to go to another RWYB again today (10ish months since last time), as Japahow is on Sunday and thought I'd see a few mr2s. And indeed I did!

But I'm pleased to report, even on a 25+c super hot and busy day at the pod, 5-6k 'kinda' clutch dumps netted me a few 12.9s and my new personal best of 12.85!!!
13.9, to 13.4, now 12.85, 3rd time lucky at the pod with this car. Need to go on a cold day now for cooler intake temps.

I was consistently pulling 0-60fts in the 1.8-2.0s (best of 1.81)! These are clearly the main reasons for my new times, so I have taken on board you guys previous 'more revs, less slip' approach.

Super over the moon with my times given how hot it was.
Only had one incident of clutch slip down the track (in each gear) which ruined a run. It's clear this clutch doesn't like a lot of slip off the line, has a knock on effect.

Anyhow, clutch still solid as can be for road driving and I've pretty much itched that 12second scratch on a BPU car!!

Super happy!!
12.85 at 107mph, 0-60ft 1.87secs .
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Congraz Jim, very nice time. Interested to see what time i get today
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Cheers dude.

Did you manage to get on there today?
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Yea, i was there. but was with non car friends ( dont ask) anyhoo could get on the strip, Might go on another weekend to make up. Maybe USC

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”