[Mk2] [Turbo] painting intercooler black!!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] painting intercooler black!!!

Post by Peter Gidden »

Williams F1 intercoolers are not very black:

Nor are Ferrairi F40 intercoolers very black:

:-k
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Nor the Delta S4s.

I'd guess the issue is whether loss of efficiency due to heat soak outweighs increase in efficiency due to heat transfer.

That's likely to change on a case by case or even use by use basis.

IIRC some Yamahas had plain "as cast" finish on some 2 stroke cylinder heads, black coating on others (even on virtually identical models).

Further testing required!
shinny

Post by shinny »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Williams F1 intercoolers are not very black

Because they are always working at high speed... as the test showed, the black paint only made a positive difference without airflow. If you only really care about moving performance or can stick a fan on it, who cares what colour it is?

The fact remains that black objects have a higher emissivity (ie. both radiating and absorbing radiant energy), but intercoolers mostly work by conducting heat energy into the air passing over them. So I doubt anyone dealing with an F1 car cares much about the intercooler colour... in fact, they'd do anything to enhance the intercooler's ability to conduct heat, meaning paint would be a no-no.
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

So, if you could colour the intercooler black without reducing conductivity (which would mean anodising, rather than a paint process), you'd not increase efficiency given there was airflow?

As you know, my physics is pants, so I have to ask!
shinny

Post by shinny »

fingers99 wrote:So, if you could colour the intercooler black without reducing conductivity (which would mean anodising, rather than a paint process), you'd not increase efficiency given there was airflow?

As you know, my physics is pants, so I have to ask!

Well you probably would still increase efficiency but it would be negligible as radiation would still only be mashing up a minority of the heat loss from the intercooler
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Thanks!

That's what I suspected.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I wonder how much of a difference it would make if a aftermarket radiator was painted black ?

Apart from the A/C condenser which is already black and the sun, there would be not other radiant heat to absorb.

Return to “Modifications”