[Mk2] [Generic] Ab Flug kit, Finished pic on page 18.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Ab Flug kit, Finished pic on page 18.

Post by Magic Beans »

slipping clutch wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:If you're fitting wide arches you'll be looking to push the wheels out so they're flush, I assume. In order for the wheels to sit proud of the stock arches you'll have to cut them back, to avoid epic rubbing issues etc.

There's a bunch of photos in my build thread of what mine looked like trimmed back. Not sure which page(s) though, there's too many now 8-[

Phil, I still have the pictures you sent me of the arch trim back - I can post them up on here but wanted to check with you first.

Please do so, Martin :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

sheppy wrote:need help here guys, do i use the border front end, or the abflug?? border has always been my fave, but is it gonna require a lot more work to make it fit?? or a simple trim of the extended arches?? it will save me a couple of hundered quid on buying the abflug front end, however, i love the abflug front end too :(

EDIT: any pics would be extremely helpful :thumleft:

I had a Border bumper and wide arches. To me it was an awesome combo :)

Plenty of photos of that too in the link :wink:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

yeah it does look good, did you have border rear spats as well??
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Yep. Border bumper, Border spats, Border skirts, Ab Flug arches (trimmed down), Ask F40 style engine cover, Driftworks carbon spoiler, Bomex mirrors :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cheers bud, very helpful :thumleft: think i'll use just the abflug skirts and arches :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

how were your arches held on?? i was gonna bond them on but 1. i love the look of the rivets, and 2. i want to be able to remove them (not so much the rear but the fronts) so i can get the bumper off if i ever need to.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

They were screwed into fixings mounted in the bodywork. Scott's (the guy who originally owed and built what became Mule v2) build thread for it is below. It shows the work done to trim, blend and mount everything.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I personally wouldn't bond them on, as they'll possibly crack and be a PITA if you want to remove them. Mine were held on using allen headed bolts, so really easy to remove.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Magic Beans wrote:They were screwed into fixings mounted in the bodywork. Scott's (the guy who originally owed and built what became Mule v2) build thread for it is below. It shows the work done to trim, blend and mount everything.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I personally wouldn't bond them on, as they'll possibly crack and be a PITA if you want to remove them. Mine were held on using allen headed bolts, so really easy to remove.

sorry, i didn't mean bond, i just meant glue them, i prefer the non blended/bonded look. thanks for the links bud, ordering the kit on monday, minus the abflug front :thumleft:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Okay Sheppy here are a few picture for you.
The first being my AB-flug arch with my 16 inch buddy clubs and no spacer - you will see what I mean about the wheels looking "lost" if you dont bring them out a bit.
The next Pictures are Phil's ( magic Beans) of how his arches were cut away.
And F.Y.I I used Riv nuts to attach my arches as I really like that kind of track car look - so its 5mm button head stainless bolts through the arch and into the riv nut set into the cars body work - I was going to use quarter turn fasteners for that real authentic race look but then realised that if I did this any scallywag could just come along and remove my body kit in seconds #-o
Hope this helps. I would take some more detailed pictures of mine but the cars immobilized at the moment ( half the engine out and propped up on a jack for two months :clown: ) so it makes taking pictures a bit difficult in the garage.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cheers for the pics man, vary useful, i have 17" D1rs on mine, going by some of the pics and info i've obtained, a lot of the guys i've seen do this seem to be using 25mm spacers on the rear and 10mm on the front, wheels could easily go missing in those arches :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

decided to go with the abflug front end, it just screams JDM and to me, that's what mr2s are all about :lol:

paying for the kit tomorrow, so will hopefully start work on the car in a couple of weeks :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Kit purchased :thumleft: gonna get the biggest gayest KFC/MacD's style wing for it too, most likely one with absolutely zero effect to the cars handling other than causing mass amounts of drag :) i know how we feel about those on here :lol: :lol:

oh, just to add, i might get bonnet pins too, purely because the spring that pops the bonnet open is broke :)
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

sheppy wrote:Kit purchased :thumleft: gonna get the biggest gayest KFC/MacD's style wing for it too, most likely one with absolutely zero effect to the cars handling other than causing mass amounts of drag :) i know how we feel about those on here :lol: :lol:

oh, just to add, i might get bonnet pins too, purely because the spring that pops the bonnet open is broke :)

Don't worry Sheppy I have both of those items already fitted to my car - see you at the next 'gay meet' at KFC :mrgreen:
I'm not even going to try and say my carbon rear BGW is for downforce and handling - its there because thats what I want on there - the bonnet pins are there to hold the carbon bonnet down as even though its OEM style and latches perfectly it still lifted alarmingly on the outer edges first run out with it on the car.
Congratulations on buying the kit - not everyones cup of tea as you have already pointed out - I like parts of it - hence my arch extensions but then again I also like parts of the toms kit and parts of the border kit which is why ( if and when it ever gets finished ) it will either look the business or a dogs breakfast - depends on peoples perspective really. I do agree that the AB-flug kit screams JDM - I hope when your kit arrives its not of the same poor quality as some of the stuff I have been trying to work with and given up on ( car was going to Paul Woods to have him work his magic on it but I am stuck on some mechanical issues/parts at the moment so I had to cancel the appointment )
Are you fitting the kit yourself and then getting it painted or handing the whole job over to a body shop?
Either way pictures and a write up would be great when you make a start on this.
Best of luck.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

haha, yeah see you in the car park, i'll be the one with the neons and dixie horn :D

yeah the plan is to fit the kit myself with the help of my brother, then have the whole car painted, i do however have a friend who is the manager of a bodyshop, if he can give me some sort of deal, then it may end up going to them, i'm still all a bit undecided, i'm hoping the quality of the kit is ok, it's the full kit, so ideally, all the parts should kinda fit into each other, i'm more worried about getting the wheels sitting properly to be honest, i'd also like to be able to remove my front bumper without too much hassle once the kit is finished as i have a chargecooler to fit and it's looking like that's not gonna be done until the kit is on :(

i'll try my best to get pics and do a write up, i always say i'm gonna, but then i start a job and just blitz it all at once so end up not getting any photos :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A proper GT wing combined with an F40 style engine cover is considered to be one of the only mods you can do that not only reduces drag but actually creates a little bit of downforce. Hence why they were both allowed to stay on my old car :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Haha, I do like the F40 engine lid, just not sure if I like it more than the standard rear section, I think the abflug kit is crying iut for a BGW though, the TRD spoiler also suits it very well.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

kit should be arriving sometime this week, just SORN'd the car while i get this done, hoping it's all fairly straight forward, the main thing will be the way the wheels sit :)
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Good luck mate :thumleft: I'll be keeping a keen eye on this as I have the wide arches that I want to put on mine.
So make sure you take lots of pictures of the arch work please :mrgreen:

Wheel wise, I'm planning to fit 16x8 +15 on the front and 17x10 +18 on the rear. 235 and 285 tyres :twisted:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494

Return to “Modifications”