SMG Rev 3 Turbo ANZ1792

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: SMG Rev 3 Turbo ANZ1792

Post by ashley »

Toyota sell STANDARD size bearings, and they are divided into 3 sub-sizes that cater for machining differences when they built the engines (in mass production the tooling gets worn, so the first cranks they cut on the line have very slightly smaller journals than the later ones after the tools have cut 1000 or so cranks).

Toyota will also sell you OVERSIZE bearings, which are for when you have had a damaged crank and have had to cut some of the journal back to remove scoring, or to make it round again. This are normally +.25 or +.5 depending on how much material was removed from the crank, and how much thicker the bearing needs to be to fill the gap.

AFTERMARKET bearings just come in three sizes - Standard, and Oversize +.25 and Oversize +.5. They only do one STANDARD size because the differences in the gaps from the factory are so small that once size will typically be within tolerance for all crank, block and rod combinations.

However- this is why you have to plastigauge all bearings on assembly- just make sure you are within tolerance still.

Not sure what using paint would achieve mind....that's a new one on me Image
ashley

Post by ashley »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:So if Toyota divided them into 3 different standard sizes what standard size are these after market companies supplying?

Standard.

Toyota didn't divide into three STD sizes. They divided the STD size into three sub-sizes, which is why i was careful with my choice of phrasing.

Read the BGB if you want the full details on nominal and sub sizes.

You beat me to it again Peter :lol:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

MR2 Rich wrote:So if Toyota divided them into 3 different standard sizes what standard size are these after market companies supplying?

Standard.

Toyota didn't divide into three STD sizes. They divided the STD size into three sub-sizes, which is why i was careful with my choice of phrasing.

Had a look at the BGB earlier and it has the 3 sub sizes that I was talking about. So if I go to Toyota I can specify which of the 3 sizes I need according to the numbers on the con rods, which I have looked at and have 3x size 2 and 1x size 3. SO if I buy ACL bearing which of the 3 sub sizes will I get?
No 2 :(
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:

Standard.

Had a look at the BGB earlier and it has the 3 sub sizes that I was talking about. So if I go to Toyota I can specify which of the 3 sizes I need according to the numbers on the con rods, which I have looked at and have 3x size 2 and 1x size 3. SO if I buy ACL bearing which of the 3 sub sizes will I get?

You'll get a set of bearings that match the nominal journal size.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So Toyota's sub size 2?
ashley

Post by ashley »

MR2 Rich wrote:
Had a look at the BGB earlier and it has the 3 sub sizes

Go back and have a look at the difference between the sub sizes...it's pretty small :wink:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

ashley wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:
Had a look at the BGB earlier and it has the 3 sub sizes

Go back and have a look at the difference between the sub sizes...it's pretty small :wink:

Yes Ash something like 0.001 between smallest and largest, but Toyota wouldn't have done it if there was no point, would they?
ashley

Post by ashley »

No- they did it to correct for machining tolerances...

But then they also specify a range of oil gap tolerances for the bearings, and if you are within those with aftermarket bearings what is the problem? The bonus is that you can use softer "race" spec bearings on high powered builds to help protect your expensive block, rods and crank.

If you're building a stock block then I agree- use the toyota bearings...although I would still use ACL even in that situation :lol:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I'm not 100% going Toyota for the bearings, just interested in everyone's thoughts on them. :mrgreen:

Have found Clevite ones that GTS Chris is selling, so will probably going with those or the ACL bearings.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I have been researching and looking about for parts and I "think" I have a definitive list of parts for the rebuild.

So here's the list;

CP 86mm forged pistons from Performance Unlimited.
Full Toyota gasket and seal kit from TCB.
Oil Pump from TCB.
Water pump and housing either from TCB or Importcarparts.
Toyota thermostat from TCB.
Full Cambelt kit with the all important hydraulic tensioner from Importcarparts.
Clevite Big end bearing, main bearing and thrust washers from Hurley racing.
Exedy 3 piece clutch kit from TCB or Mr2 Bitz.
Millers running oil from Opie.
Comma coolant from my local parts store.
New Toyota turbo oil filter.
I'm also swapping the Apexi induction kit for the standard airbox which I bought ages ago off a member on here, so will need a Toyota air filter as well.

Probably forgot something but a decent list to get ordering parts on Monday. Any suggestions always welcome as I have never done anything this involved on a car before. :thumleft:

Cheers Rich
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:CP 86mm forged pistons

So your bores have been confirmed to have no ovality and within original dimensions?

You'll also need:

Downpipe to B pipe gasket
Distributor shaft O ring
Inlet manifold to TB gasket
Injectors to cylinder head O rings
Themostat O ring

Don't forget to have the block and head mating surfaces surface ground before reaasembly.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Yes to the first question.

And thank you for the info on other bits. The head is having quite a bit of work as it had oil in places it shouldn't! I think it is getting skimmed at the same time. :thumleft:
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:The head is having quite a bit of work as it had oil in places it shouldn't!

I don't understand.

MR2 Rich wrote:I think it is getting skimmed at the same time. :thumleft:

You don't want it skimmed. You want it refaced aka surface ground.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Right regarding the head, the exhaust side had oil in it signalling something not quite right. The car did use a little water with no external signs of a problem so will be checked over and any work needed will be done. With so much info to take in I have probably used the wrong terminology and it is getting surface ground!
ashley

Post by ashley »

What's wrong with the oil pump you already have?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

ashley wrote:What's wrong with the oil pump you already have?
it ain't new! In all seriousness I have such bad luck with cars if I leave one part to chance it is going to go wrong. The engine has had a rebuild and in taking it apart we have found so many bad bits I don't trust anything that has come off it. On the other hand f it is original it is 20 years old so well worth changing IMO. :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

If it's still in spec, unscored and in good condition I can't see why you'd change it just for the sake of it, but I get what you're saying :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I know what you are saying Ashley, just trying to do everything once and not regret not doing something later. :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

:thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Hi Rich,

I saw your car during the week buddy. Well Tuesday afternoon to be exact.
It's Lovely car!!

Glad to see you are going down the route of just building into a block. You never know what you are buying sometimes.

It's definitely a good move buying another oil pump. I'd personally never re-use an oil pump from another engine.

Has Simon gave you a list of parts or are you just trying to sort it out on your own mate?

Hopefully catch you down there one day soon :) I'll be around quite a bit over the next few weeks while at college in Grimsby.

Return to “Member Profiles”