Capable track toy?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

woz_106

Re: Capable track toy?

Post by woz_106 »

Or you could just buy an mx5 it's what everyone else buys these days...just take the clippers out before you get to the track :P
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

However being sensible and in regard to the OP's worries. If you really want to learn to drive a car that is renowned for being tricky on the limit there is a lot to be learnt. If you are quick in an MR2 you'll be quick in anything. It takes a lot of skill to drive quickly.

It's fundamental to get the right amount of opposite lock on and quickly or it really will bite. There is a challenge to it, I know. But, I guess what needs to be considered is that if the OP is up for the challenge or should he cut his teeth on a car that might be a bit more forgiving?
Last edited by Lauren on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

woz_106 wrote:Or you could just buy an mx5 it's what everyone else buys these days...just take the clippers out before you get to the track :P

Well, yes good option. An FR car is more progressive and you can certainly get away with more of slide before you reach the point of no return. They're cheap, simple and there are plenty of 'track ready' cars out there.

Really at the end of the day, it becomes all about preference and what you want from the experience.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

woz_106 wrote:I've never had an issue with the ct20 having such lag to cause any issues with mid corner handling of the mr2. I find it has a very smooth delivery if you drive the car via the throttle.

To the op, it depends what you want out of a trackday as to the car you go for next. Do you want to be quick, be entertained, be scared, or be precise.

If you want to be quick and not do much in the way of input then buy something 4wd then you can drive very on/off the power and afford to be very aggressive. Failing that your already coming from fwd so know how to drive a fwd car properly there fore you will be bored in 6 months if you buy an Integra my 106gti used to laugh at them as I learnt how to drive that car very well and that's why I bought the 2 I wanted a sense of fear and something rwd that would be a challenge.

If you want to be entertained and dick about buy something front engine rwd like an m3 or such. You can drive them on the edge and hold them very well.

If you want to be scared drive an mid engined car like you drove your 306 and you'll be terrified especially the sight of armco or tyres getting rather close lol.

If you want to be precise, buy an mr2 learn how to drive all over again, start off slow I was terrified on my first trackday in the mr2 turbo coming from a track setup 106gti. Learn how your throttle and steering input have to work together and the feel of endless grip but the instant lack of when you over step. The mr2 is a very rewarding and challenging car to drive on a track, you may not be the quickest all the time but when your on fire you'll happily chase down those 4wd saloons that everyone thinks are quick 😉

Oh and wet track days are the best to learn on, just remember your braking is drastically effected and use the time to practice how your inputs effect the cars behavior.

As I mentioned it is all about preference, I used to care about being quick now I don't really care I have much more of a smile on my face in the mr2 because even on the right corner at the right moment you can still kick the back out and have some fun.

I'd happily recommend one as a track car.
Mbland

Post by Mbland »

Lauren wrote:or should he cut his teeth on a car that might be a bit more forgiving?

Thats pretty much my dilemma really, I do however want something that will be reliable and can progress when I do but although I've done a few track days in the peugeot I'd still class myself as a novice, but also like has been mentioned I also don't want to end up getting another fwd and end up bored a year down the line..

I don think id be happy with a n/a mr2 though especially having owned a turbo before (road use only) and also comming from my peugeot which was 200bhp per tonne I don't think a n/a mr would feel a upgrade.

Thanks for the replies/advice so far though
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Sounds like you need a track ready V6 :wink: Turbo fast but without the associated stresses or 'tricky' handling :thumleft:

http://imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174846

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”