Chris' Rev4 TRD Turbo...

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris_9011

Re: Chris' Rev4 TRD Turbo...

Post by Chris_9011 »

I have managed to source the required parts to get the front end of the car looking pristine again... I should hopefully have an almost full spare TRD kit (just missing the rear N/S arch/fuel filler panel & the spoiler), as well as an extra one of each of the front and rear bumpers winging their way down to me from Scotland on Friday...

my plan is to use what I need, source the rear wing and spoiler and sell as a complete kit to recoup the majority of the funds I used to purchase said items... and then have a front and rear bumper as spares just in case the worst happens again.

My next update was that I had a brand new UK 160mph speedometer laying around from when I had the rev3, I was going to complete the conversion on that but before I could I sold the car.
Therefore I thought this car was prime for the conversion, due to the additional speedometer facia covering the light holes making seeing the speed impossible at night... it was a very easy job to complete, I took the clocks out, unscrewed the old speedometer, and screwed in the new one... job done... well almost...

...unfortunately the needle was way out (I'm talking it was reading at around 40mph at idle :rolleyes: , so I removed the clear plastic cover and reconnected everything, I took the car out without the needle attached and used my sat-nav as a guide to what speed I was doing, I held it at a steady 20mph and reattached the needle. I checked it a few times at different speeds and it is now reading around 1mph over the actual speed indicated by the sat-nav... happy days!
I took the car home, reattached the plastic cover, and set about reassembling the dash board...

OLD:

NEW:

Night (all lights working):
The only issue I've got now is that I must have disturbed the stock boost gauge as it's now not working, no big issue as it's about as useful as a chocolate tea-pot... but it would be nice if it was working again :sad:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

oh yes, I also went on track at Silverstone on the 27th October on the track day MR2Jay had organised:

Life's the pits:
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Couple of updates:

I completed the alteration to have the quad rear lights, 4x brake & 4x side lights in my rev3/4/5 rear lights... for some reason, and one I've never understood as the car is an import, it had all four lights light up when braking, but only the outer lights on with sidelights. I thought all imports had all the lights on for both braking and sidelights... hey-ho, it doesn't matter any more as that's how it is now.
I got hold of some duel filament bulb holders from Nathan at MRTwo's when I had my clutch changed, even better he gave them to me for gratis which was a bonus. The change was simple, I removed the single filament bulb holders and re-soldered the new one's in place...

The result:

The other piece of good news is that today I took delivery of a lot of replacement TRD panels after Fimmo decided to sell all his spare parts:

The panels I now have consist of:
2x front bumpers
2x rear bumpers
2x O/S skirts
2x N/S skirts
1x rear boot lid extension
1x O/S front wing
1x N/S front wing
1x O/S rear arch extension

The only parts I'm missing to be able to complete a full kit is the N/S rear arch extension and the fuel filler flap...

With this, I may source the N/S arch extension and fuel flap and sell a complete kit to be able to make back some of the money I paid out.
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Just thought I'd update my thread, it's just copied and pasted from my thread on the MR2OC... thought you might like to see what I've been up to recently :-)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Stunning car, it truly is :)

sorry to hear about the dramas, however you look to have it all in hand .

I think I've got a stock boost gauge (well, needle which moves when boost is detected at least). If you still need one you're welcome to have it :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Car looks stunning mate, sorry to hear of your woes :(

Regarding the rear lights. Imports are configured like this from the factory:

Rev 1/2 = all four brake & tail lights
Rev3+ = all four brake & outers only as tail lights.

:thumleft:
VanderBoon

Post by VanderBoon »

Love those wheels. Especially in white.
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Thanks for the kind words all :thumleft:

The repairs are in hand, i have some time off over Christmas and I hope to be able to get the front of the car back to pristine over this time, we shall see...

Magic Beans wrote:I think I've got a stock boost gauge (well, needle which moves when boost is detected at least). If you still need one you're welcome to have it :thumleft:

Thanks for the kind offer, but I missed an update off where the gauge decided to start working again on its own... :roll:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

RedMR² wrote:Car looks stunning mate, sorry to hear of your woes :(

Regarding the rear lights. Imports are configured like this from the factory:

Rev 1/2 = all four brake & tail lights
Rev3+ = all four brake & outers only as tail lights.

:thumleft:

Thanks for the info :thumleft:
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

glad the shunt was aslow one, bonus no one hurt :thumleft:

sure she will be looking sweet again, i am bound to be down your way sometime on business ill take you up on that cuppa for a lust over the TRD ha ha

regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

wilkie senior wrote:glad the shunt was aslow one, bonus no one hurt :thumleft:

sure she will be looking sweet again, i am bound to be down your way sometime on business ill take you up on that cuppa for a lust over the TRD ha ha

regards Brian

Anytime Brian :thumleft:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

My next job on the list was to alter the lights in the boot, I've never been a fan of the MR2 boot light... it's kind of pointless when you can't see what's in your boot at night so I thought a change was due. I've seen a few MR2's with LED's added in place of the standard bulb so thought I'd give that a go... here's my effort:

1) Buy a couple of 12v LED strips from eBay, I went for some 48cm one's purely down to cost, they set me back around £4.00 delivered

2) The next set was to remove the existing light from the boot, easy job as it's connected to the loom via it's own plug and socket:

3) Remove the bulb from the holder, and take the copper pins out

4) Find, or cut, a couple of lengths of thin wire (I went for 0.5mm gauge, red (+) and black (-) wire)... I cut around 1m as you can always remove any excess rather than add wire. Solder the red wire to one of the pins, and the black wire to the other:

5) Once you have soldered the wire to the pins, replace them in the plug socket the way they came out.

6) At this point I cut away any of the excess plastic around the plug socket:

7) I drilled the plastic cover from the front of the boot, 4 times for each LED strip, and using cable ties I fixed the strips into place one on one side of the central hole, and one on the other. I soldered the wires from the LED strips together to form one outlet connection for the (+) and the (-)... I then cut the wires from the plug to the correct lengths so the wire goes from the LED strip connection to the plug on the car. When I knew how long the wires needed to be I heat-shrunk the wires together to give that finished look. These wires were then soldered to the correct outlet connection on the LED strip and then I wrapped each wire in electrical tape to finish:
(forgot to take some photo's I'm afraid :facepalm: :rolleyes: )

8) The finished article:

Anyway, the results:

Much better :cool1:
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

Great looking MR2 bud, loving the TRD kit and the wheels suit it well :thumleft:

Great little mod there with the boot lights, good idea :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work with the boot lights mate, may do something similar. Stock bulb is pretty sh*t. :mrgreen:
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Car looks stunning mate. Loving the wheels need some of those for mine. may also copy your boot light mod, as the OE is rubbish as you say.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Chris_9011 wrote:Image

Much better :cool1:

Thats a great mod mate!

The oem boot light is pretty pointless unless you a dolls house light in your boot :mrgreen:

Great write up and deffo a mod I'll use for my car when I have her back.

Cheers Pal! :thumleft:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

My genuine TRD brace arrived this morning courtesy of GTSChris - sterling service...

it needs a bit of work, but I was going to get whatever one I bought powder coated anyway so I wasn't entirely fussed about the finish, but for £130 delivered next day who's going to complain? :D

Now to decide on what colour to get it powder coated, the options at the moment are:
- White (body coloured)
- Grey Fleck (as they come standard)
- Purple (to match the upcoming Samco hose engine overhaul - the purple matches the seats and wheel nuts so a common theme throughout the car)
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Great rear brace mate, would 100% go for one of these if it fitted over my chargecooler. :mrgreen:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Brace went into the powder coaters yesterday to be sand blasted and then re-done in the original anthracite, all for the princely sum of £30 (got to love my powder coating friend)... should hopefully pick it up today at some point.

RedMR² wrote:Great rear brace mate, would 100% go for one of these if it fitted over my chargecooler. :mrgreen:

Cheers mate, at the moment I'm just trying to get the car a bit more like a real TRD, got the genuine TRD rear brace and the TRD radiator cap sorted... now for the front brace and the oil filler cap
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

TRD brace:
This came back from the powder coaters the other week looking fresh and new in it's new skin of Anthricite (3 coats) and then nice and shiny due to the coat of lacquer...

and fitted:
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Member Profiles”