Water Pump **** up

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Re: Water Pump **** up

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Its mangled my melon to be perfectly honest with you.

I'll measure up what I have tonight anyway and i'm trying to get a hold of an mr2 housing.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

From what I can see, I have a FWD housing and a RWD pump.

If I had kept my original pump that would have determined what pump I had as I do remember it being shorter than the one I currently have bolted on.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

So far a I can see OnlineCarParts quote the same water pump part number for the north south engine as the east west one

If the AE86 uses a longer nose version of the pump they've got that wrong
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I was unable to measure mine properly being dark and the coolant pipes in the way.

But on the way home I measured a mate's mk1 distance from pulley to chassis. His measured 30mm, mine measures 20 ish mm so that'd be the issue there.

All ive got to do is find a fwd pulley, but apparently the mr2 is a fwd pulley, so that means ive been quite rightly said, sent the wrong one.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Another photo of it

Granted the pulley is being held on, but you can see how bad it is next to the alternator pulley.

elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Seems to me that you'll have to swap the pump for the shorter type to get it right Alex :-k

Looks like a b1tch of a job with the engine in though :shock:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

More like the correct pump Peter, not the xxxx i've been sent.

I can take all the water pipes off as there is no coolant in the system currently, to free up some room.

The alternator may have to be changed as well so i'll get that out as well. The only issue is that, i dont know if the crank pulley has to come off :(
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

This is why when building an engine, you have the oportunity to put it all together before putting it in the engine bay, it saves ALOT of hassle
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

It was going to be awkward putting the pump pulley on and lifting the engine into the car. Didn't want to damage it.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I just spoke to the supplier.

I would highly recommend never to use http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/

I explained politely that all the water pumps have the same part numbers, which is why I haven't got the right one as the Corolla has a fan attached to the end of that one.

I've sent a photo and asked for my money back and they said they'd get back to me by the end of the day - im sure that's bull$h1t but hey ho.

I'm removing it tonight as well.
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:It was going to be awkward putting the pump pulley on and lifting the engine into the car. Didn't want to damage it.

If you do it again, leave the pulley on. You won't damage the pulley lifting the engine in. I used to take the intake plenum off, to give me a little more space, leaving everything else attached. I never snarled anything up in over 20 engine swaps. My method was to balance the engine with the gearbox pointing down. Lift to attach the engine mount on the driver's side. Then lift further to get the gearbox into place.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though! :neutral:

Hope you sort the pump out soon enough!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I now have the right water pump, ordered yesterday from Camskill and it arrived this afternoon.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”