Ryan's Black Rev 2 (Now updated)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan6926

Re: Ryan's Black Rev 2 (Now updated)

Post by Ryan6926 »

D4N_V_U wrote:Looks nice mate. That side view makes me realise how good the original rev1 spoiler looks. :thumleft:

Certainly does suit the car, I was pondering a late spec spoiler (rev 5I think?) but not so sure now :)

Cheers

Ryan
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I love the rev 1 spoiler it makes an MR2 look like a bullet
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Haha cheers I just wish it went like one ;)
DanT

Post by DanT »

Ryan6926 wrote:Haha cheers I just wish it went like one ;)

mines pretty quick for what it is lol
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

It's a Rev 3 isn't it though lol

Mine seems very hesitant until you get to TVIS I'm not sure if the timings out or it just needs a good service

How much do you reckon JD would charge if it is the timing needs adjusting?

I know the cars had a new engine, new clutch and a new cambelt which is why I'm thinking it maybe that

Maybe it's normal I really don't know lol
DanT

Post by DanT »

no idea..not worked at jd for a while lol.
DanT

Post by DanT »

but yeh mines rev3 ;)
DanT

Post by DanT »

you about tomorrow daytime for an mr2 photoshoot in hook? getting few of us together..drop me a text or something
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

I'm not I'm afraid mate I've not got any fuel till Monday :-(

If you organise another then try and let me know in advance so I can make it lol :)
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Right then sorry not much in the way of updates but I've had a fair few problems with the car due to the geometry being MILES out because of the wheels being far too wide etc

Long story short the wheels being too wide (8.5J all round ET36) and being on with 25mm rear spacers and 20mm fronts that's what was giving the stupidly low / wide look that I had before

So anyways I've managed to remove the rear spacers which were bolt on after being unable to get them off at first my brother lent me a breaker bar, a slight tug later and they came straight off, I've then realised the guy had no spigot rings on the wheels either as apparently you don't need them (IDIOT) so I've ordered those, they're here but not on the car just yet anyways.

I've replaced the rear tyres which were nigh on slick on the outside edge with some 245-40-17 Conti's which make the rears look huge from behind the car although with the ET36 8.5J width I'm starting to like the way that the car sits now

So onto the fronts which is where the fun began

After removing the rims / finding the fronts are 20mm hubcentric not bolt on obviously the car has had longer studs fitted as well.

I popped the wheel back on / started sliding the nuts on to see how they'd sit (only by hand not too tight)

Anyways without any spacers they won't fit at all so I've popped 5m on, A bit better but wouldn't do up properly so off they came agaain and I added another 5mm, Again a bit better but the nuts on the car are tuner style, before I know it they're on and the end of the stud is virtually touching the end of the nut itself it's had that much nut put on if that makes sense. So then I've got another problem and the nut won't come off :(

How it should be (the rear)

How it is

After lots of shouting / swearing I gave up, gave the car to my brother to take to work (He's a tyre fitter by trade but hates how I spend so much time / money on the cars I own)

So anyways he's taken it to work, clouted it off, done a slight bodge job to make sure the nut is off so now I'm awaiting new studs / nuts / spigot rings

It's been an expensive month this month :(

Anyways pics of the rear :D

I've also removed the yellow from the fogs too, If I do decide I don't like them I'll put a light smoke tint over them instead and I'm getting the crystal headlights this / next week hopefully :D

Before

The difference between the front / rear stance

The front with no yellow tint

The rear and how it sits now :D

Would you think it was worth putting the 5mm spacers I not long bought on the rears to add to the stagger (fronts are 215-40-17 rears are 245-40-17)

Cheers for looking. it's not much to look at but I'm starting to like it :)
DanT

Post by DanT »

looking good..looks better with the fogs clear imo
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Cheers Dan

I've just ordered the crystal headlights as well for a grand total of 35 quid delivered :)

With any luck I'll by Mtec Super White's for the sidelights, I'll hopefully move the bulbs into the rear plate lights then hopefully I can leave it alone for a while

I can't use the car at the moment due to the longer studs but with any lluck she won't be broken for too long :)
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Right then time for a quick update,

The headlights have been here for a while so I finally decided to pluck up the courage to have a go at fitting them myself (I'm autistic so usually diy is a very bad idea)

So after looking on here at how to remove the shroud's to get to the headlight which I did, I removed the headlight then proceeded to get confused by the bulb being held in (don't laugh haha)

So after working it out I'd swapped the lights over on the drivers side, screwed it all in then realised I'd not put the rubber boot on to cover the wiring so undid it all again, dropped a few screws and generally was getting annoyed with the car wishing I'd not started doing it but carried on and did the drivers side one within around an hour (I'm still quite proud of myself for doing it though :D )

So onto the passenger side, I'd thought previously that it doesn't fully extend as high up as the drivers side but wasn't sure, undid the shroud, removed it and am thinking yeah this is going well until I realised that it does indeed sag compared to the other, when it's fully extended you can physically lift it up to the same height as it should be which isn't right so if anyone knows what this could be it'd be appreciated,

After swapping the headlight over as well I'd noticed that I can't fit the boot itself over the back of the light as it gets in the way of the connector for some reason,

Anyway tightened the 2 screws that were in the headlight up to hold it as well as I can until I can get to a breakers or order some and left the car alone.

Pointless story but it's the first thing I've had the courage to do myself

Anyways in other news I've realised she needs a good service and I'm also buying some Advan SA3 split rims in 16's although I'm a tad concerned they'll look too small due to the lips but if they do I'll just drop the coilovers to the lowest I can get away with and have it for looks instead of fun I guess lol

Thanks for reading :)

Ryan
DanT

Post by DanT »

nice choice of wheels..thats what i wanted :P

but well done for giving it ago yourself mate
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Nice one cheers Dan, I've spoken with the guy selling the SA3's and they're going to work out a bit more than I've actually got to get them exactly how I want so now I'm looking for something else :(

I'm glad I had a go myself even if it didn't quite go to plan lol

UI'd be happy if the headlight sat properly but the actual lights themselves are much better :)
DanT

Post by DanT »

if you were interested in my wheels feel free to pm me or text me what sort of budget your on and maybe work a deal ;)
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

I'm after something either 16's or staggered buddy so will wait / see what comes up, cheers anyways :D

I'm sure you'll not have a problem shifting them :)
DanT

Post by DanT »

tbh im not really in any rush to get rid as i really like them...just as you say-fancy some 16s
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Well I should probably update not that anyone cares :P

As you've likely seen I popped a thread up in the wanted section for a set of RP-01's in 16's although I wasn't expecting anyone to have a set let alone want to sell them

Anyways a few people replied THANKS to you all and I've managed to get a set of white ones ET35 7J front and ET38 8J rears although they'll need 2 tyres but for the price I'm paying I'm still very happy :)

I'm assuming I'll have no issues with clearing the struts from the coilovers with this size?

Just a quick one as I have something in mind as to what I want to do. The car's never going to be fast I've accepted that so instead I want to lower it to a decent stance. Now with it being 7J rim if I can get away with it I'm after putting 195-45-16's on the front and a set of 225-40-16's for the rears, I'm not after stretch etc but I don't want them to give massive sidewalls and the difference between the 2 sizes heightwise is 88mm front and 90mm rear although obviously the tyres / wheels are staggered so I shouldn't have any problems which means I can lower the car evenly.

Could anyone please confirm it'll be ok to try this / get away with it. I don't drive the car very hard so it's going to be more of a comfy cruiser than an all out driven hard toy :)

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to getting them fitted :D
DanT

Post by DanT »

great choice...there a nice wheel..

id personally go for maybe a 205 up front and then the 225 on the rear to fill the arches nicer

Return to “Member Profiles”