new suspension inserts !

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chrismanchr

Re: new suspension inserts !

Post by chrismanchr »

theyre kyb springs super so they cant be bad

if I'm gonna replace the inserts I might as well save myself the time in stripping and painting the springs and get new ones for 26quid a corner
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

got the suspension out but had to cut the antirollbar link off because the nut was totally siezed and the allenkey socket rounded

took about an hour in totall

got my new suspension while i was doing it ,gonna take all the suspension off on that corner ,strip ,clean ,paint ,renew bushings etc ,all the rubber bushings look 26years old lol and some look like theyve failed
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

anybody got any ideas how to get the antiroll bar link ends off ,theyre stuck solid !!! as allways its the simpleist of nuts and bolts that holds you back !
scomr2

Post by scomr2 »

Split the nut with a nut splitter or dremel cut off disc.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

yeah I cut it in half with a dremel in the first place ,might try some heat first but i'll probably round the allenkey hole like the bit thats still attached to the anitrollbar

I need a nut splitter gonna go away now and buy one off ebay
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Mine are like that unfortunately.

I'm just going to strip the rubber boot off mine and cut through the thread completely. They really are a f*cking pain the ar$e when they go.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

on both ends of the drop links the boots are damaged but the links are tight and smooth and they look original ,but yeah looks like i need more metal cuttings discs for my dremel tomorrow lol
scomr2

Post by scomr2 »

If you've used a dremel to slit the nut then use a small cold chisel or screwdriver as a wedge to open the slit up and break the rust.
kgb603

Post by kgb603 »

chris i am going down the kyb springs & shocks route in the next month or two, would be interested to know how you perceive the improvement to how it rides & handles afterwards :thumleft:

Saying that, anything would be better performing than my tired old suspension setup :lol:
tommundy
Premium Member

Post by tommundy »

kgb603 wrote:chris i am going down the kyb springs & shocks route in the next month or two, would be interested to know how you perceive the improvement to how it rides & handles afterwards :thumleft:

Saying that, anything would be better performing than my tired old suspension setup :lol:

I'll miss watching you bounce around! :)
kgb603

Post by kgb603 »

Ha ha, it might have been funny to watch but its a trait I wont miss about my car, it was truly awful on the last run out we went on, could barely keep up with everyone else as it was bouncing and skipping about so much, it was a proper challenge to keep it on the road!
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

just cant get the gland nut off to get the inserts out ,I cant find anything bigenough lol I measured the nut and its 51mm lol

cut the ARB link nut off on the strut though took about 10mins quite easy really
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I use a big pair of Channel Locks. You'll also need a vice or similar to hold the strut still whilst you undo it although I have also used a method in the past that allows you to use the car to hold it still if you don't have a vice:

Remove the strut, remove the top mount and spring then reattach the strut to the upright with a single bolt (no need to put a nut on it) so that the strut is horizontal and the top is pointing away from the car. Lay on your back, brace your feet against the strut either side of the gland nut then you can pull on the channel locks to undo the nut (assuming you're lying on the correct side of the strut!)

If you have a vice but no channel locks an alternative is to hold the strut upside down in the vice so that the jaws are holding the gland nut then use a bar to undo the nut by turning the strut.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It took a workbench mounted vice, some very large pipe wrenches and a 4 foot pipe to get my top nuts off.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

ive got a 4-5 inch vice and all my adjusables and pipe wrenches etc are too small lol i'll have a go at the method with it in the vice though, thanks
let you know how i probably dont get on lol
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

kaiowas wrote:If you have a vice but no channel locks an alternative is to hold the strut upside down in the vice so that the jaws are holding the gland nut then use a bar to undo the nut by turning the strut.

This is how I've always done it, although last time it broke the vice. :lol:
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

tried it using the vice on the 51mm nut which i seemed to have the best chance with errr nope lol

bit of heat ? errr still wont budge!

got the strut in a vice upright at the mo and ive rigged a plastic bag with a seal with the target area being that thread ,filled it with penetrating oil and gonna leave it a few days as i'm busy with work now all week
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

you know what they say about try and try again?

well ?

I used the bar that comes with the jack on the mr2 lol fits perfectly in the mounting holes and the penetrating fluid worked well but i didnt expect to find the suspension part of the strut i thought it would be a simple insert like the KYB insert lol took a while to get the damper out of the housing then oil went everywhere lol and it smelled quite bad

heres the ARB end and half of the nut i removed

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”