What a sad sight

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Re: What a sad sight

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

pk_090 wrote:I was forced to buy something off him and he gave a spli in the box whit all his contact details on.

Forced lol
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Its real sad,

IMO He is dodgy at best, He says on his listing that he does it as a hobby and to keep mk1's on the road yet I have had direct dealings with him and he told me that this IS his business and he keeps his entire family with it, also he is registered as a business seller on ebay so that says it all TBH.

I had 10 mk1's at one point and only one of them was scrapped the rest were in enclosed storage, on the road or in the process of work being done.

In fact in over 15 years of mk1 ownership I have scrapped 5 cars, 3 of which were already registered as scrapped, thats a drop in neiljones ocean he has at least 23 mk1's

Im down to just 4 :lol: now and one is beyond repair not down to rust but down to the van it hit.

I used to sell on ebay just the bits I never needed etc, I really dont have the time to list more than just a few bits and thats been months, yet he must be working full time just to get bits off, and posting.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Your not using those coilovers Chris, sell me them!
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

It's Sims not Jones that I'm upset with

Have had poor quality parts from him

He owes me money too
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I presume this is one of the guys you're referring to:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... ead=136449
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The defining thing for me about Neil is the fact he is selling Jimi's bracket for more than Jimi does, who doesn't even do it for profit.

He's a disrespectful willy.
munter

Post by munter »

Never had an issue with Jones. Parts ordered from him have been as described (very good condition) and he's also open for a bit of bartering leading to reasonable prices. If you need something immediately you pay the price of convienence I'm afraid.

Sims is another story. Overpriced and poor quality in my experience. Won't be buying anything from him again in future.

Anyway once I move and get a double garage I'll be working to persuade the wife that having a spare for parts is a great idea ;-)

P
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:The defining thing for me about Neil is the fact he is selling Jimi's bracket for more than Jimi does, who doesn't even do it for profit.

He's a disrespectful willy.

From a completely neutral point of view, isn't that commonly referred to as business? :?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

From a completely neutral point of view, isn't that commonly referred to as business? :?

There's respectful business and there is taking the utter pi** .. he I'm afraid is the latter.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

charged wrote:

There's respectful business and there is taking the utter pi** .. he I'm afraid is the latter.

OK.

I guess if jimi is unhappy, he doesn't have to sell them to him... :-k
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Jimi doesn't sell to him, although I believe he approached Jimi and tried to buy in bulk.

Jimi sells them and makes no profit, he does it for the Mk1 community.
jimi

Post by jimi »

charged wrote:

OK.

I don't sell them to him! he's selling 2nd hand ones for stupid money. Anyone can buy a new one from me for virtually the same price as when I started making them 8 years ago, the only thing that has gone up is the postage.
To quote from an article I wrote for MR2 Only magazine in 2007

Making the brackets is basically a non-profit making hobby, enabling me to keep the price down to the bare minimum, just enough to recover my initial outlay and postage costs.
I've never advertised or actively pushed the brackets, news of them has spread by word of mouth.and this article leading to people contacting me asking for one.
I don't sell them in bulk because I don't want anyone profiteering on them, that would kind of defeat my intentions with them, which is to make an affordable, effective mod available to the MK1 community.
Over the last 3 years more than 100 Jimi™ Brackets have been successfully fitted to MK1's throughout the UK as well as Holland, Malaysia and the USA .

The only things that have changed since I wrote that is the number of brackets I've made and the number of different countries they have gone to (250 brackets and over 9 countries )
I'm not happy about about people selling 2nd hand ones on ebay for silly money, but there's nothing I can do about it
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

Do these breakers supply the instructions and various spacers that Jimi supplies with these brackets they sell. If they don't not everyone would know what to do with them.
kgb603

Post by kgb603 »

charged wrote:
I believe he approached Jimi and tried to buy in bulk.

Similarly I've been led to believe he tried to get his competitor to stop buying & selling "in his area" but this was politely declined.

We are better off as a community with 2 larger scale breakers in competition with eachother, it would have been so easy for them to create areas & both profit from the mk1 owning community through a lack of competition & I cant help but think he was trying to do this.

It concerns me that we have one that appears to do things properly, as a small business with cars fully stripped & disposed of, stocks kept on the shelf in line with the regs suggested above & therefore has overheads, pays taxes etc, while the other keeps their stock rusting away in a field potentially polluting the environment "as a hobby" but sells at similar prices. On a like for like basis the takehome margin for the hobbyist will be significantly more than the genuine business as there are no overheads to speak of other than time & postage. It doesnt seem fair to me that someone can get away with it on such a scale, but I say good luck to anyone who is. I suppose it will get harder the more the subject is discussed on the various forums.

Given the choice, same part, same price, choice of 2 sellers, I'd support the business everytime.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

What I do not really get is why Mk1'ers use either of them. A lot of us have our hoards of spare parts and breaker cars.. which we'd happily share with fellow enthusiasts.. these breakers are selling parts that a lot of us would give away or sell for postage costs.

I'd urge any Mk1 enthusiast who is looking for parts to make use of the forsale and wanted sections on IMOC and the Mk1 site and therefore avoid the over priced ebay sellers.
kgb603

Post by kgb603 »

charged wrote:What I do not really get is why Mk1'ers use either of them. A lot of us have our hoards of spare parts and breaker cars.. which we'd happily share with fellow enthusiasts.. these breakers are selling parts that a lot of us would give away or sell for postage costs.

I'd urge any Mk1 enthusiast who is looking for parts to make use of the forsale and wanted sections on IMOC and the Mk1 site and therefore avoid the over priced ebay sellers.

Agree wholeheartedly. Always ask your mates first!
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

charged wrote:What I do not really get is why Mk1'ers use either of them. A lot of us have our hoards of spare parts and breaker cars.. which we'd happily share with fellow enthusiasts.. these breakers are selling parts that a lot of us would give away or sell for postage costs.

Because theres a lot of people who arn't on IMOC or MK1 and they know no better. I've sent loads of bits to people for free alot of the time at my expense when they are stuck and i'm sure others have done the same
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Hopefully the Mk1 club are no longer entertaining them taking the pi** out of the member base. Last I heard is 'they were looking into it' but both still seem to pop up quite often.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

there is a mk1 up the road appeared for 200£..
so tempted to phone but want the money for the 1.5.....
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

pistol pete wrote:there is a mk1 up the road appeared for 200£..
so tempted to phone but want the money for the 1.5.....

I also like turtles :thumleft: :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”