Dyno coming up..Guess my HP

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

greeny

Re: Dyno coming up..Guess my HP

Post by greeny »

ashman wrote:
RyanRs wrote:i was thinking of mixing an alcohol blend with the fuel perhaps?

I recall reading that this doesn't work too well as they tend to separate in your tank instead of staying mixed...

Power pour would be the best bet, short of race fuel.

But is it worth it if your not going to be adding it normally?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashman wrote:
RyanRs wrote:i was thinking of mixing an alcohol blend with the fuel perhaps?

I recall reading that this doesn't work too well as they tend to separate in your tank instead of staying mixed...

Yes they do, so do not do this
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

RyanRs wrote: The turbo i am using is the HTA version of a GT3582r which uses a anti surge housing and billet compressor wheel, like the GTX35r. 0.82ar exhaust side. I believe the standard GT35r's most efficient between 1.6~2.4bar iirc? and the HTA having the billet compressor -lighter and more surface area on the fins, is most effective between 2bar ~ 3bar !

Do you have the compresser map to show air flow for the comp wheel you are using as that is the only way to see the effeciency?

What RPM was you max power at?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

no, afaik FP never released any compressor maps for there HTA turbos, realy dont know why?! iirc Precision dont release theres neither. I know of the effective boost area from reading up im the past, cannot remember where tho as it was a couple of years ago. It was poss on a lancer evo tuning forum as they are very fond of the HTA turbos.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Heres my current dyno graph Bob..

heres a link to my build thread..
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Im hoping some tweaking of the exhaust cam will help sort out the drop off after 6250. if not then i guess it will be time to change the cams.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Without cams you will not get any more power at higher revs, so the only way to get more power is more boost.
With the fuel you are using and the compression ratio you have I would not run any more boost as the timing will have to be retarded to stop detonation, that will lose you power and may well crack the block.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Get your finger out and get some cams fitted :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

HaHa...your car is famous mate, check 'Turbo by Garrett's page on facebook :wink:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Fitted some Cams yet? Vin Diesel would have had this on his top priority list :lol: :mrgreen:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Naa no cams yet :/ gimmie a chance maynn! got my PPL Exam to get out of the way first, that things draining every last penny out of me.

Just deciding what cams to go for atm.. poss some GSC S1 cams, specs are:
Intake 268 Duration, 10.5mm Peak lift
Exhaust 268 Duration, 10.2mm Peak lift

nice amount of lift, not too crazy on the duration so should keep some low end drive-ability.

Dyno tomorrow anyway so see what happens!

Ashman, oh yea! cheeky buggers thieving my pics!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

lol well no hurry :)

Just as long as "me and the mad scientist dont have to rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried"

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :eye: :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Jeez steve-o, do you know every line from that film or something?! Admit it, its your favourite :mrgreen: heehee
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

lol they are the only ones I remember... I'm all out of quotes now :lol: :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RyanRs wrote:

Dyno tomorrow anyway so see what happens!

:-k :whistle: :whistle: :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Ryan G's just posted the results on 2bar's fbook page, I won't spoil the suprise :mrgreen:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Sweet! just see that on Ryan's page!

Heres the result of the day anyway. ..

Technically the indicated power is slightly less than the actual figure, this was because every time the car come on boost it literally just wanted to drive straight out of the rollers! it was pushing the front rubber wheel chocks out of the way like they were on ice! So, we had to add a couple more ratchet straps to hold the car back. Obv this meant a lot of extra load on the engine. On one particular pull the power curve started to climb well above the 540 line, we guess it was heading for 560~570? but then the back wheels just took a leap for freedom and Ryan had to come right off the throttle :( Unfortunately we couldn't restrain the car enough to shoot for that again as with the car being pinned down i was getting some serious tyre to arch wear. Other problem was the lack of airflow over the car from being concealed in a room. Was very hot in there and we was struggling to keep the IAT's down. We guess the true figure to be around 550~560, but anyway thats not important, its the way it drives.. 470 lbft torque and it really likes to kick the back end out! goes like stink! lol

Guess ill be up TDI from now on, considering a cam upgrade, better IC and Syvecs ecu.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

nice figures :)
hoping for similar on mine when its mapped later this year.
im running the piper 264 cams in mine and they do give a nice chunk of torque low down (mines a hks 2.2ltr) very similar specs to the ones you mentioned as well.
what IC you running? and what temps on the dyno?
[/quote]
danwarwick

Post by danwarwick »

Nice work!!

=P~
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

Good stuff wot boost did you take it up to?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Im running an ebay universal jobbie, its a 12x24x4" core but the end tanks are too small, its boot mounted with airflow from the cars side vents then down and out the bottom of the boot with two spal's assisting to pull the air through. Going to try a skyline intercooler next.

IAT wise :

at first we had the engine lid open and boot shut, IAT went up to 52'c however, with the engine lid open the lid fans were not drawing the heat from the engine and the massive dyno fan was infact blowing all the hot engine air into the boot! Shutting the engine lid helped loads as it drew the heat out of the engine bay and away from the IC. We then opened the Boot lid to allow the IC fans to draw as much cool air as poss, however ambient temps were very hot due to the main doors to the dyno being shut as the car is damm noisy!

Gav, 1.9bar

Anyway, heres a couple of clips on the dyno. Car was strapped down very hard!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... G_1314.mp4
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... G_1313.mp4

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”