MR2 Rev2 Tubby VS 2003 M3 Convertible

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

gltd666

Re: MR2 Rev2 Tubby VS 2003 M3 Convertible

Post by gltd666 »

Really? Thats some MR2 there :clap:

I love the MR2 and BMW's. I'm a petrolhead - so many cars - so little time and money to enjoy them all...

Please, please, please lottery win for my dream garage :pray:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Not really.
310 - 320 bhp in a 1.3k kg MR2 vs 343bhp in a 1.7k kg M3 convertible means the MR2 shouldnt have a problem drag racing and winning.

As much as I love M3's, they're not the be all and end all. My little Clio 16v showed an E36 M3 up while dicking around on some short DC's and round abouts. He'd power past on the straight then I'd fly past him on the round abouts.

He, like you, pulled along side me, opened his window and said "WTF have you done to that thing?"

Lowered, back box, de-cat, airfilter - 138bhp
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Just sold the Mr2 and bought the M3......

Rather have the M3! :) :)

Gimmie a shout if you want a race, i wont hold back :wink: . to be honest they are pretty evenly matched on a drag race.... Stock VS stock M3 wins, 300bhp vs stock, would say Mr2 wins, but be fairly close i think..... Just so different from actual feel of the car.

I would do far more with the Mr2 though, mainly because if i binned it i wasnt botherd and would just a buy a new one, same with if i broke it. That was my second one, after my black turbo i had for 4 years or so. Loved them both, but i have to say i love that M3 more.

So if your in Fife at anytime, ill race you.
gltd666

Post by gltd666 »

M3 :clap:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shibby! wrote:Just sold the Mr2 and bought the M3......

Rather have the M3! :) :)

Gimmie a shout if you want a race, i wont hold back :wink: . to be honest they are pretty evenly matched on a drag race.... Stock VS stock M3 wins, 300bhp vs stock, would say Mr2 wins, but be fairly close i think..... Just so different from actual feel of the car.

I would do far more with the Mr2 though, mainly because if i binned it i wasnt botherd and would just a buy a new one, same with if i broke it. That was my second one, after my black turbo i had for 4 years or so. Loved them both, but i have to say i love that M3 more.

So if your in Fife at anytime, ill race you.

maybe see you at crail on sunday then :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Nick, I bet you dont get the "fanboi" comments I do because I dare to suggest MR2's are a bit long in the tooth.
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Not this weekend, but could be arranged for another time!

Been meaning to head up again for ages!!!!!!!!!

But they are long in the tooth! i have had them since 2005!!.... time for a change! :) :)

I would defo get another... prob Mk1 with Rev 3 turbo engine. Or maybe a TRD.

Good fun, but once you drive something newer with same amount of power you do change, you like the quiet, not having to watch for a small bump in the road, also listening to music and actually hearing it, instead of a flame thrower exhuast! ;)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Exactly how I would describe it.

My tubby and most standard tubbies would muller my 330 but I wouldnt trade.

On the other hand, if I ever had a few thousand sitting around, a 2nd car wouldnt be out of the question. :thumleft:

I still like MR2's, but as I'm a 1 car man I need something that does most things fairly well rather than something that does 1 or 2 things very well.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

matt_mr2t wrote:Exactly how I would describe it.

My tubby and most standard tubbies would muller my 330 but I wouldnt trade.

On the other hand, if I ever had a few thousand sitting around, a 2nd car wouldnt be out of the question. :thumleft:

I still like MR2's, but as I'm a 1 car man I need something that does most things fairly well rather than something that does 1 or 2 things very well.

i think you forget it's the mr2 owners club, for mr2 enthusiasts, regardless if they are long in the tooth or not. of course people are gonna be biased, be a bit like me going on the mg midget owners club and saying the same thing.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I dont forget, I just dont get people who are blinkered and bias.

I've never believed any car I have owned is the best thing since sliced bread and I never would because there is no such thing as the best car ever.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

matt_mr2t wrote:I dont forget, I just dont get people who are blinkered and bias.

I've never believed any car I have owned is the best thing since sliced bread and I never would because there is no such thing as the best car ever.

didn't realise anyone was blinkered or biased, but, it is still a site for mr2 enthusiasts, so even if there are people who are blinkered or biased, this is probably the place to find them, so slating mr2's on the mr2 owners club is just daft. as my point about going on the mg owners club is. i don't think the mr2 is the best, but it's still my favourite car.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

If so called grown ups cant take constructive critisism perhaps they should go and play with children (in an innocent way)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

matt_mr2t wrote:If so called grown ups cant take constructive critisism perhaps they should go and play with children (in an innocent way)

or just stop criticising?? seems easy enough, almost looks like trolling sometimes. are you really only on here for the off topic section and the occasional post about beemers??? it's an Mr2 website.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'm here because I have made some actual friends here.

If you leave a job where you have friends to do you suddenly stop talking to them?

I didnt start this thread and the biggest critisism I have made of the MR2 is that it's a bit old and has some limitations.

I have balanced that by saying they can be faster than the car in the topic - an M3, a topic I didnt start.

So quite what your problem is I dont know but I suggest you keep it to yourself.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

put your bloody handbag away.
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Nothing is faster than an M3 matty! NOTHING!

Oh and if i see another non M car, sporting an M badge, im running the "blue waffle" off the road.

To be honest, a lot of people critisie the Mr2 for various different things, just speak to Toni, Lauren, Rogue, and some of the other more knowledgale folk on here, folk that have driven other things and have a reasonable idea on what something should drive/feel like. Its one of those things..... Its called being balanced i suppose.

Plenty i love about the Mr2, plenty i disliked about it. Didnt stop me having 2 of them for 5 over 5 years combined.

Just because its an MR2 site, doesnt mean you have to ignore short comings or your feelings on them.....

Wait? what was my point again?..... meh! i forgot.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Apparently not Nick, apparently unless we bend over and accept it's the greatest thing that ever was, is and will be, we will be laughed at by much more knowledgeable people.

I just play along now tbh. The more people make comments about me like the ones on this thread the more I'm going to do it.

Personally I wouldnt touch an MR2 with a bargepoll every again.
Mk1s are ugly, mk2's are rattly, bumpy and uncomfortable and mk3's are underpowered and very very very Louis Spence.

How about that?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

gltd666 wrote: my e34 530i V8 daily driver... its a tarmac eating limo.

218bhp , tarmac eating indeed............
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shibby! wrote:Just because its an MR2 site, doesnt mean you have to ignore short comings or your feelings on them......

i agree, but no need to make a point of telling everyone at every given opportunity, any of matts posts all contain the same thing....mr2's not being modern/as good as other cars, bmw's or his bmw. i wondered how long it'd take him to pipe up on this post. was surprised it did take so long in fact.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

matt_mr2t wrote:Hi.

My Tubby used to eat M3's for breakfast.

This is all I have to say.

Bye.

what rev tubby did you have and what mods did it have ??

mines only got a induction kit, decat, RSR exhaust , racing clutch and boosts to 11.5 psi with no mbc or ebc.. so quite proud of the rev2 tubby :oops:

Return to “Driving Experiences”