(UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasongtr

Re: (UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Post by jasongtr »

what? a rev3 turbo engine worth £300 - where mate?

and if he was quoted £1200 for the work and he went ahead how is that being fitted up,not like it came as a shock bill at the end...
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

jason....u know that's way ova the odds! but yes he went along with it. I overlooked the rev3 bit but surely a 17yo moter ain't worth much more with no guarantee? personaly I prefer the earlier blocks as the early rev3 ones were faulty and tend to crack?

I fit engines for my friends for 150... normaly done in 8h but been doing since knee hi lol

u gotta feel sorry for the chap, he found these ppl on a club where ppl are MENT to be enthusiasts :pale:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

rev3 rear clips go for £1500, and in the £1200 fitting charge it included a gearbox didnt it? they are £300

£150 fitting for friends,, so, Lewis is running a business not mates rates.

if he wants a good engine with 60k on it i have a rev2 one for £500 :mrgreen:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

he will need the loom and ecu ignighter coil etc. I don't think he has the skill set to fit it so maybe u could come to some kinda deal to help him out.
still don't understand what happened to his old moter n box :-k

in a email chris said he could have his money back if he returned the motor... he also stated that the op sourced the motor :-k all a bit weird to me.... I have spoken to chris many a time,he seemed realy helpfull and knowledgeable.

I just hope it all gets sorted out amicably

I got some bigger fish to fry but just feel saddened by it all.

hope it all works out well
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Basically Lewis found me an engine through GTSCHRIS and asked me to call Chris and pay him for the engine as a separate purchase. That cost £750 plus £50 delivery.
I paid Lewis £1200 for fitting, full sevice, box, clutch and timing belt.
From the day of delivery I was not happy, Lewis just said call Chris if you're not happy as he supplied the engine.
So £2000 later here we are.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

well i have the ecu and loom still, the only thing thats missing off the engine currently is the thermostat and housing but they all look the same so i can sort that.

also the ht leads and coil are sold so not available.
R6 RIDER

Post by R6 RIDER »

[quote="swaggansway"]jason....u know that's way ova the odds! but yes he went along with it. I overlooked the rev3 bit but surely a 17yo moter ain't worth much more with no guarantee? personaly I prefer the earlier blocks as the early rev3 ones were faulty and tend to crack?

I fit engines for my friends for 150... normaly done in 8h but been doing since knee hi lol

u gotta feel sorry for the chap, he found these ppl on a club where ppl are MENT to be enthusiasts :pale:[/quote]

you said i prefare the earlier blocks as the earlier rev 3 ones where faulty and tened to crack why would you say that lol ??? i have a 94 rev 3 and mine is fine !!!!
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Mines not :evil:

Good job i have a good sense of humour, currently taking our builder to court after shelling out £12,400 for a reroof and loft fitting. Our house leaks like a sieve and the guttering is falling apart.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

aww this topic has been done to death, I despair lol
R6 RIDER

Post by R6 RIDER »

it might have been done to despair , just why would you say the earlier rev 3 blocks tend to crack when that cant be sureley true , n9thx yours isnt fine , ok , but thats due to other reasons , not to a cracked block . also why would you prefare earlier ones if you said they tend to crack lol
Last edited by R6 RIDER on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i think some people think the rev2 blocks are the strongest ones
R6 RIDER

Post by R6 RIDER »

and are those rev 2 thinkers right to think the rev 2 block is stronger ?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

no idea. Thats a question for some turbo owners to answer
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

well i'm on my 5th MK2
4 Turbos and one Auto
1 Rev1 Turbo
3 Rev2 Turbo (one Auto N/A)
and this Rev3 Turbo.
Love em to bits. Never had any probs until this one to be fair.
Had lots of cracked diesels but never a petrol.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

because in SOME factories when the early rev3 block was produced they cooled them at a diff angle.... consequences were thin walls in certain parts resulting in failure, allegedly!
:roll:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

its rev1 blocks and 5s blocks ppl think are better. 5s are just chunkier and rev1 have stood the test of time. I have nothing against rev3 have used before
JJ

Post by JJ »

This is the 3rd time I’ve wrote this… so excuse my to the point manner.

The engine does sound like a forged engine, are you sure its not a 400 bhp in disguise ?!

Joke aside the head does sound a little noisy but not excessive…likely to be 2 or 3 shims slightly out of tolerance…. they’re not really a quiet engine to start off with, you want to hear my M5 in the morning, massey ferguson springs to mind and that’s all head noise through the vanos / valve gear. Even my MR2 doesn't sound particularly sweet and I've only just checked the clearances this year... but mine has 10.4mm lift cams in...

I’ve got a love/hate passion with CT-series turbos.. I even had one of mine with an RS500 compressor fitted rebuilt 4 times to resolve a small bellowing of smoke issue that would emerge occasionally and use of oil… it seems some of the bearing housings have become porous over time .. never resolved that issue.. put it in the bin after spending £1800 on it !!

With your head… generally the heads start to build up a little carbon around the valve seats which effectively increased the clearances over time. When I build 3SGTE’s, the exhaust side is always out to start with, labour intensive, a lapping and reshimming exercise will rectify it.

In other cases, an engine that has ran dry can seriously damage components … the head has no fail safe shell bearings to rely on and just damages the head. What this then causes is an increased area of float in the rotational area which only increases the clearance again.. giving a tappetty head… I know because my oil feed cracked years on my turbo, threw all the oil out and left me on the side of the road… I thought I’d got away with a simple oil feed… fired my engine up.. seemed alright… as it got upto working temperature… the head was making a prominent tapping noise and sounded like a diesel… !! Bawls !!

My concern with your engine is the oil consumption ?! An engine with 150K miles wouldn’t really go through a litre of oil on the dipstick in 30 miles if compression is good, this will point at the turbo normally. You’ve not let it run dry have you ?! it would cause these problems with the head and turbo blowing smoke ( oil starved ) .. they can all be fixed, but will costs a couple of quid.

I’m sure you’ll come to an amicable agreement with GTSChris… Almost biased comments, I’ve dealt with him/them many times with engines, gearboxes, looms, turbos, body panels etc… When an engine became available, he even held me back 3 weeks as he hadn’t tested it which was fine by me. Anything that was noisy and a smoker was simply stuck in the bin, Chris knows the downstream issues that occur selling a faulty item.. especially an engine with other 3rd parties being involved in the replacement.

If you were a bit closer, I could have had a look for you and rectified it, but check again with options with Chris’s team.

Block comments > Pick of the draw.. all blocks are thin between no.2 and no.3 cylinders.. depending on the original casting .. I’ve brought a couple to work and had them NDT’d / thickness checked… wall thicknesses are normally 3.8/4mm around no.2 and 3… the rest are 6.8/7mm which is why if the block cracks, it’ll mostly always crack at the thinnest points. Think of those that have bored them even more !! Possible defects in the cast that can cause premature cracking, I’ve cracked 3 blocks now, but have gone down the sleeved liner… which is holding up at the moment…
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

engine flush is a no no imo.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

I wish someone told me that luke before I found out the hard way! the devils creation!
JJ

Post by JJ »

Skywalker wrote:engine flush is a no no imo.

Oh.. just to back that one up too... I did write it initially before the web went down ( at work ) engine flush... you're better off pouring a gallon of fuel into the sump and mixing it up ( sarcasm ).. engine flush = engine killer !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”