[Mk2] [Turbo] 17x10" rears - winter wheels fitted and ready for the snow!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeyra
Premium Member

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 17x10" rears - winter wheels fitted and ready for the snow!

Post by monkeyra »

Kongaroo wrote:
monkeyra wrote:I'll be picking your brains next year Kangaroo, I've got some 17 x 9 et 37 Buddyclub P1's to fit to the rear of my MR2, along with some 275 tyres...

I've got some wide arches to fit as well which will help I hope.

No worries bud, although I suspect that you are going to ask me if a 275/40/17 will fit :lol: Answer is yes but you will very likely rub badly with that width/offset even with a full arch roll. May work ok with standard ride height (do rev 1 springs sit the car a little higher than the rev 3 springs?) and extra negative camber. Unfortunately the only sure way to find out is to try it and see. 275/40/17 would look pretty awesome I bet :mrgreen:

I got the tyres dirt cheap (pair of new kumho ecsta sports for £50!) so willing to take the risk. I've got HSD coilovers, not sure if that'll make it better or worse? As it's only a track car, I'm also happy to roll/cut the arches to suit as I have wide arches to fit over the top.
Will have to see what happens really.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

monkeyra wrote:I got the tyres dirt cheap (pair of new kumho ecsta sports for £50!) so willing to take the risk. I've got HSD coilovers, not sure if that'll make it better or worse? As it's only a track car, I'm also happy to roll/cut the arches to suit as I have wide arches to fit over the top.
Will have to see what happens really.

Wow £50 is a bargain! :mrgreen:

Sorry I forgot to mention that if you are going to fit wide arches then there shouldn't be much of a problem fitment wise with what you are thinking of doing. The main obstacle would be that the 275/40/17 is a very tall tyre so rubbing on the arch side would be my main worry - not an issue if you are fitting wider arches anyway. Any fitment issue strut side would a simple matter to fix using a spacer.

Send me a photo once you have them on :thumleft:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Yeah, I'll post some up when I do. Won't be until towards the end of next year as I'm currently living in Hong Kong. Car is tucked away in my garage SORN'ed. I miss tinkering with it :(
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

monkeyra wrote:Yeah, I'll post some up when I do. Won't be until towards the end of next year as I'm currently living in Hong Kong. Car is tucked away in my garage SORN'ed. I miss tinkering with it :(

Look forward to seeing it! So you are from Hong Kong? Always wanted to visit there and fully intended to when I was still working in Singapore and geographically a little nearer, but just ended up working the whole time I was there :lol: (well apart from the one week honeymoon in Japan, lol)
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Nah, the missus was transferred here for a year, so the deal was we'll take it, as long as I don't have to work :)
So, I'm on a 9-month holiday \:D/
Great place, went for a 30k bike ride today around the New Territories in my shorts and t-shirt. You can't get bored of that!
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

275/40/17 on a 9" will look horrible!

Not sure a 255 suits winter so well, but at least you have winter tyres on :mrgreen:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Leon. wrote:275/40/17 on a 9" will look horrible!

huh? Tyres are there to serve a purpose, not look "pretty" :roll:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

monkeyra wrote:

huh? Tyres are there to serve a purpose, not look "pretty" :roll:

So why do you want a 'baggy' side wall?
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

I couldn't care less if the sidewall is "baggy", "bagless" or "tight" (or whatever it is you're on about).

Did you read my previous posts? I picked them up brand new for £50, and at that price, it's worth a punt. They'll fit the wheel, as to whether they'll fit the car is another thing.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Not sure a 255 suits winter so well, but at least you have winter tyres on :mrgreen:

A 255 isn't so wide by today's standards. They seem to be working well enough so far anyway :D

I actually like a 'meaty' looking rear so I think the 275/40/17 on a 9" might look quite good to me anyway. But I know everyone has different tastes. I had a pair of chunky 265/45/16 on the rear for a while and I loved how they looked, lol :eye:

Return to “Modifications”