aaaarghhhhh (steering wheel wobble) gonna drive this car off a cliff

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Re: aaaarghhhhh (steering wheel wobble) gonna drive this car off a cliff

Post by HighwayStar »

A steering vibration is such a tricky business since so many possibilities exist for its cause. I took my own advice on Thurs and popped to Oddshoes who has kindly lent me his stock wheels for a bit. This has massively reduced my vibration problem to the point where it only occurs on certain surfaces and then very much less harshly then before as well. Maybe with a bigger steering wheel (I've a 330mm) it'll go all together. What it has pointed out though is that I have brake judder from high speeds.... perhaps warped discs from whatever caused the vibration before. Ah well and least it's a different problem, I like a bit of variety me.
As to whether your issue is just feedback from the road... we all want intuitive, communicative steering don't we. My steering 'feel' varies on surface but if with a continuous surface you get the vibration at the same speed and it's consistently there then there is an issue to sort.
Hope you get to the bottom of it mate.... and still recommend you try a set of known trouble free standard wheels again... and maybe a standard steering wheel as well.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

HighwayStar wrote:A steering vibration is such a tricky business since so many possibilities exist for its cause. I took my own advice on Thurs and popped to Oddshoes who has kindly lent me his stock wheels for a bit. This has massively reduced my vibration problem to the point where it only occurs on certain surfaces and then very much less harshly then before as well. Maybe with a bigger steering wheel (I've a 330mm) it'll go all together. What it has pointed out though is that I have brake judder from high speeds.... perhaps warped discs from whatever caused the vibration before. Ah well and least it's a different problem, I like a bit of variety me.
As to whether your issue is just feedback from the road... we all want intuitive, communicative steering don't we. My steering 'feel' varies on surface but if with a continuous surface you get the vibration at the same speed and it's consistently there then there is an issue to sort.
Hope you get to the bottom of it mate.... and still recommend you try a set of known trouble free standard wheels again... and maybe a standard steering wheel as well.

I wonder if dave would let me borrow his wheels at some point. Luke does have a set I think but hes not sure if they are good or not.

The motorway vibration is pretty slight now on smoothish tarmac, but on bumpy concrete it is still there. At lower speeds on bumpy b-roads it feels like im fighting with the steering every time I hit a bump as the steering seems to go in the direction of the bumps.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I took my mr2 to rockingham speedway and the wheel wobble dissapeared.

Soon as I was on the public highway thou and down the motorway it returned.

Very strange, my quest still remains to find out what seems to cause it

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”