Mr2 Mk1.5 vs Audi RS4

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

BarronMR

Re: Mr2 Mk1.5 vs Audi RS4

Post by BarronMR »

matt_mr2t wrote:

Are you sure?

How does that explain torque steer, which is caused by unequal length drive shafts resulting in more torque being delivered to one wheel than the other?

I'm not 100% sure. But as part of my degree in motorsport engineering, at no point when calculating tractive force (wheel torque) has there been any discussion or accounting for a differing length of the drive shafts.

In reality it has to cause some increase in friction due to the larger surface area of the longer drive shaft having to turn in air, but I'd wager its insignificant compared to the differential's and gearbox. This is assuming there's not any major mechanical devices used to accommodate the extra shaft.

As for torque steering, I think that it is due the unequal length but not the extra frictional losses of such. It's more down the increased amount of flex that the longer shaft will allow before driving the wheel. That causes a momentary delay and the steering effect, but I'll ask my lecturer to try confirm this.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Wow how did this thread get so technical?

To clear up a few issues

matt_mr2t wrote:But you cant ignore the fact that 2 wheels are causing substantially less friction on the road once moving which completely changes the line of thinking.

I think i have the gist of what you mean, and if i do its not true. theres no difference in friction acting on the driven and non driven wheels themselves. their only friction is that in the wheel bearing. road friction, tyre resistance etc does not act to slow down the undriven wheels and driven wheels differently. the only difference in losses between the driven and undriven wheels is that the driven wheels cant rotate freely, they have the intertia of the drivetrain to overcome. if the drivetrain is powering itself, or transmitting torque, it would be the friction in the drivetrain the wheels see.

BarronMR wrote:
In reality it has to cause some increase in friction due to the larger surface area of the longer drive shaft having to turn in air, but I'd wager its insignificant compared to the differential's and gearbox.

haha it would be so incredibly negligible you wouldnt give it a 2nd thought. its called skin friction. to put it in context, for a vehicle moving at high speed, it will make up about 10% of the drag, much less at low speeds. a car has an awful lot of surface area. a shaft doesnt have much surface area, and you are applying a tiny drag force to it.

BarronMR wrote:
As for torque steering, I think that it is due the unequal length but not the extra frictional losses of such. It's more down the increased amount of flex that the longer shaft will allow before driving the wheel. That causes a momentary delay and the steering effect, but I'll ask my lecturer to try confirm this.

torque steer is caused by axle wind up. if a longer shaft is identical in every way to a shorter one, bar its length, and transmits the same torque, it has a lower torsional stiffness, and as such will create more angle of twist between its ends compared to the shorter one. because of the twisting there will be a difference in delay from when the torque is applied to the short shaft compared with the long shaft. the short shaft wheel will turn its wheel first. its also possible that because the force required to twist the long shaft is less than that required to move the vehicle, it becomes a lower resistance path to the torque than the short shaft. because of the way diffs work, it will get more of the torque temporarily whilst it twists to its equilibrium point, and when it gets there will throw the car sideways. which effect is greater will be a function of shaft length difference and diff performance.

there is another cause. because one shaft is longer than the other it is also easier to bend. the torque will inherantly create a bending moment. if the shaft is now bent, it will try to turn the wheel it is attached to. again whether this happens is a result of suspension geometry, steering resistance etc.
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

dantheman wrote:

as such will create more angle of twist between its ends compared to the shorter one.

Doh, thats what I meant by flex. I meant rotational not longitudinal :)
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Not me, not racing my mate's RS4 =;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kezHcwtY2h8
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

What I mean by the friction on the undriven wheels is that on a 2wd car they are either being pushed or pulled by the driven wheels. On a 4wd car, this isnt the case, reducing the work the other 2 wheels are doing.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ollie was this going onto the M1 by any chance? It's just that I've come across a complete nutter in an RS4 at J10 there before, the driving is something to behold. We also had a bit of a run in and he resorted to undertaking and violent lane changes...but as soon as I saw the level of his skillz I fell back, like you I want to live! I think he lives in Harpenden. 8-[
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ooh, a friend of mine lives in Harpendon, I'll ask him if he's seen it about. What colour is it?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

matt_mr2t wrote:What I mean by the friction on the undriven wheels is that on a 2wd car they are either being pushed or pulled by the driven wheels. On a 4wd car, this isnt the case, reducing the work the other 2 wheels are doing.

still not true. ill assume by pushed or pulled you mean accelerating or decelerating them. all 4 wheels will have a rotational inertia. yes in a 2wd car, the driven wheels need to accelerate the undriven wheels. but remember a 4wd car doesnt get 4x the power or torque simply by being 4 wheel drive. the inertia of the extra driven wheels must still be accelerated by the drivetrain. so whilst in a 2wd car the undriven wheel inertias add to the effective mass of the vehicle, in a 4wd car the extra driven wheels will add to the drivetrain inertia, in the opposite way reducing engine rotational inertia is good (eg lightened flywheel) that will be bad for force generation. as F=ma, for the 2wd car you get more mass m, and for the 4wd car you get less force F. your ability to accelerate remains unchanged
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

matt_mr2t wrote:Definately an RS4 and not just an S4? There's a few different variants of both but i believe the hottest RS4 is 420 bhp V8 and would think in gear and rolling it'd be pretty damn quick. I saw an RS6 on the M1 last weekend. It was earily quiet for something packing a 572 bhp 5 litre V10! Think it was just coasting along in fairness.

You seem to THINK a lot of things...

Weight and how the car puts the power down makes a huge difference. More torque from turbos in general too with a wider spread of torque. Peak power isn't everything.

Well played Ollie :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The RS4 he raced is a V6 twin turbo.....
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

tonigmr2 wrote:Ollie was this going onto the M1 by any chance? It's just that I've come across a complete nutter in an RS4 at J10 there before, the driving is something to behold. We also had a bit of a run in and he resorted to undertaking and violent lane changes...but as soon as I saw the level of his skillz I fell back, like you I want to live! I think he lives in Harpenden. 8-[

Nope this was near Swindon... Best bet is to let people like that get on with it.

The bit I haven't mentioned is after we let the RS4 go, he slowed down and seemed to be waiting for me, I had no idea of his intentions so just slowed down to 55mph to let him go. He didn't he slowed down even further and in the end I had to overtake him. He didn't do anything else other than give my car a good stare when we went past and after that he seemed to hang back and drive normally, very odd.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:Ollie was this going onto the M1 by any chance? It's just that I've come across a complete nutter in an RS4 at J10 there before, the driving is something to behold. We also had a bit of a run in and he resorted to undertaking and violent lane changes...but as soon as I saw the level of his skillz I fell back, like you I want to live! I think he lives in Harpenden. 8-[

Nope this was near Swindon... Best bet is to let people like that get on with it.

The bit I haven't mentioned is after we let the RS4 go, he slowed down and seemed to be waiting for me, I had no idea of his intentions so just slowed down to 55mph to let him go. He didn't he slowed down even further and in the end I had to overtake him. He didn't do anything else other than give my car a good stare when we went past and after that he seemed to hang back and drive normally, very odd.

Tail between his legs? :lol:
aw11rally

V8 RS4

Post by aw11rally »

I once had a run in with a last generation RS4 whilst in my VX220 turbo. Both have the same 0-60 of 4.7sec on paper.

From a standing start on a dry road it is much easier to get a RWD car off the line. As a result I beat the RS4 to the next roundabout (~500yards) by about 2-3 car lengths.

From experience you have to be absolutely brutal with a 4WD to get a decent start in the dry, anything other than max revs results in bogging down for a few fractions of a second (just enough to let a VX220 turbo pull away).

I now have a 270bhp Mk1.5 which feels a lot faster than the 200bhp VX220, but I am sure the VX220 would easily keep up, super smooth power delivery and amazing chassis composure make for a serious weapon. Ultimately the Mk1.5 is far far far more fun, LSD = yeehaa. Elise chassis can be a bit understeery.

Apologies for going off subject, in conclusion:-

FWD is for boys, 4WD is cheating, RWD is for men.
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

No offence but i do test driving and did tests on RS4 against evo 8 and porsche boxster s etc and the audi handled so well it was the best by far on a wet handling track.

So RS4 was twitching and you just caught up with it?????????

It must have been really broken (crap car) and crap driver (as proved when he went onto hard shoulder) but still the audi should still have no problem leaving you for dust round corners and on straighs.

:thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ollie did say it was an estate, they probably weigh more than the saloon and who knows, it could have been carrying a lot of extra weight.

Still IMO a car that deserves respect for being bloody quick AND practical.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Avant is 90kg more than the saloon.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Marf wrote:Avant is 90kg more than the saloon.

That's a fairly heavy bloke. I always notice a difference in a car when I have passenger.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:

Ah, 'cos I think I've seen the same guy in a red estate of some description too driving just as insanely. Maybe it's just that nutters drive RS4s. :eye:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've seen a good few V8 RS4's driving around London and they're all well behaved. The noise is pure sex, even at low speed. I'm almost begging for them to rag it away but they never do :(
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

rhamps wrote:No offence but i do test driving and did tests on RS4 against evo 8 and porsche boxster s etc and the audi handled so well it was the best by far on a wet handling track.

So RS4 was twitching and you just caught up with it?????????

It must have been really broken (crap car) and crap driver (as proved when he went onto hard shoulder) but still the audi should still have no problem leaving you for dust round corners and on straighs.

:thumleft:

Power to weight possibly made the difference?

I've beaten some cars that people on forums have swore blind will destroy me, with lines such as 'they clearly weren't trying' even though you can hear them clearly hitting redline. So many things can vary on the road I guess

Return to “Driving Experiences”