[Mk2] [Turbo] Edit:*Dyno Update*Car back from its iridium sparkplug mishap =D

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Edit:*Dyno Update*Car back from its iridium sparkplug mishap =D

Post by Peter Gidden »

JHust checked my accounts system...

BKR6E, BKR7E and BKR8E are what we used to sell before Iridiums became popular.

A quick cross-check shows they are the same as EMS sell on the mr2oc.com forum.
GTS GAV

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Edit:*Dyno Update*Car back from its iridium sparkplug mishap =D

Post by GTS GAV »

thanks peter
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

GTS GAV wrote:rocker cover looks sweet as buddy, remeber rim wax :thumleft:
i have some other polished part coming out soon if your interested pm :thumleft:

also what inlet manni is that you are using?

Cheers for the tip Gav. Look forward to seeing what other things you have coming out - was very impressed with your crackle paint cam cover pictures :thumleft:

That's a Jun intake manifold - it's the one that the KU ones are copies of. Going by the original for sale advert a couple of owners ago it's apparently an original. The KU copies actually look better made than the original as they came polished and with much neater welds than mine did, lol.

As Peter mentioned earlier all 3 sets of plugs that broke a tip were NGK iridiums -grade 7 to be exact. Although I doubt it has anything to do with the manufacturer - probably just due to the brittle nature of the iridium tips? Or I could just have been super unlucky :lol:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Kongaroo wrote:As Peter mentioned earlier all 3 sets of plugs that broke a tip were NGK iridiums -grade 7 to be exact. Although I doubt it has anything to do with the manufacturer - probably just due to the brittle nature of the iridium tips? Or I could just have been super unlucky :lol:

Hey Kong

I've got a full range of coppers back in stock now... Don't want you damaging that shiny new engine...
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Kongaroo wrote:
GTS GAV wrote:rocker cover looks sweet as buddy, remeber rim wax :thumleft:
i have some other polished part coming out soon if your interested pm :thumleft:

also what inlet manni is that you are using?

Cheers for the tip Gav. Look forward to seeing what other things you have coming out - was very impressed with your crackle paint cam cover pictures :thumleft:

thanks buddy not a problem, i have already added another polished item on here

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

i also have a polished inlet mannifold and throttle body coming up for sale soon :thumleft:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Hey Kong

I've got a full range of coppers back in stock now... Don't want you damaging that shiny new engine...

You can say that again, lol. I just got back from a bit of a test drive - it's like when I just bought the car years ago when I kept finding excuses to go for a drive \:D/

Great news about the coppers - save me another set of 8's for when I'm over for my MOT as the ones you fitted recently are running great!

Gavin - wow good job on those pipes. It's a shame I already changed my intercooler pipes when I had my Phoenix power intercooler fitted otherwise I'd definitely be up for those :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Glad your all back up & running fella!!! :thumleft: nice carbon boot lid ;-) cannot belive I actually sold it 2 Paul b4 u got!!!

We should sort a meet up mate not seen your motor 4ages!!!!!
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Gee Man wrote:Glad your all back up & running fella!!! :thumleft: nice carbon boot lid ;-) cannot belive I actually sold it 2 Paul b4 u got!!!

We should sort a meet up mate not seen your motor 4ages!!!!!

Hi Dan, yes that bootlid is a really good fit and light too. Can't believe you sold it! :D

How are you getting on with your new HKS turbo? Which size Garrett GT turbo it is equivalent to?

A meetup at some point would be good - just don't know when that's going to happen as work and baby is running me ragged! Looking to get busier too as I'll likely have to start a 6 day week in a few months... no time yet to even get the car booked in at a dyno :eye:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Yeh mate I should have kept it ](*,) :lol:

the hks 3037pro s is the biggest hks30
series they do. I've been told it's bigger than the 3076 that garrett do but god knows.

I need 2 get it on a dyno 2 c wat it's kickin out really, it's been mapped to 1.6 bar but I'm running around 1.5 as I'm still on the standard manifold and it causes an imbalance above 1.5 I'm told. Plenty quick enough 4 me though....... Infact I've turned the boost down as it was a bit silly.

Are you still on the standard manifold??
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Gee Man wrote:Yeh mate I should have kept it ](*,) :lol:

the hks 3037pro s is the biggest hks30
series they do. I've been told it's bigger than the 3076 that garrett do but god knows.

I need 2 get it on a dyno 2 c wat it's kickin out really, it's been mapped to 1.6 bar but I'm running around 1.5 as I'm still on the standard manifold and it causes an imbalance above 1.5 I'm told. Plenty quick enough 4 me though....... Infact I've turned the boost down as it was a bit silly.

Are you still on the standard manifold??

Sounds like it's either going to be the equivalent of the GT3076r or GT3082r then? Look forward to hearing how you get on at the dyno with it... should be a little more than you were getting with your TD06 anyway :mrgreen:

I'm getting used to how my GT28rs feels now and am starting to enjoy having virtually instant low RPM boost. Unfortunately my dreams of big power are over for the time being... next kit I'll be looking to buy at some point is a GT3071r though, lol.

By manifold do you mean exhaust manifold? Yes I'm still on the standard one. Did the person that mentioned the imbalance tell you what problems the imbalance causes?
JJ

Post by JJ »

I took a valve out with iridiums !!! Zero tolerance to them !! no room for error, get a spike in temp and knock appears, spark plug dies = engine damage !!

NGK BCR8ES - aka as RS turbo plugs ! :thumleft:
I've ran high boost and nitrous with these ... faultless for the price of them.

Non protruding ceramic ( RS turbos were oil burners so needed a safe plug ! )
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

That's the badger, C not K! I checked in glovebox t'other day. BCR8ES.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Cheers for tip guys - will double check with Peter what he's put in for me next week as the plugs are getting changed at the MOT in readiness for its upcoming trip to the dyno. Whatever is in there now is working great anyway :thumleft:
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

u guys are getting me worried now. I have just started noticing a miss fire under hard boost ~1.2bar and I am using iridiums. Checked the plugs and they look perfect which is probably down to the WI kit. I picked up some of the BCR8ES that JJ mentions last night but im thinking they may be a bit of a cold grade for my setup and should probably run the 7's mentioned earlier. What you think? Thanks.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i run bkr7e coppers with no problems.....
gapped to 0.8mm i think..
draz1k

Post by draz1k »

great pics kong, glad your back boosting on the road.

and very very nice engine bay :clap:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

draz1k wrote:great pics kong, glad your back boosting on the road.

and very very nice engine bay :clap:

Thanks James - although I must admit the engine bay appearance has generally been a low priority for me. But now I'm more or less 'modded out' I'm slowly turning my eye to engine shiny bits and weight loss. What will I do when I run out of things to modify?? :lol:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

tubby_tony wrote:u guys are getting me worried now. I have just started noticing a miss fire under hard boost ~1.2bar and I am using iridiums. Checked the plugs and they look perfect which is probably down to the WI kit. I picked up some of the BCR8ES that JJ mentions last night but im thinking they may be a bit of a cold grade for my setup and should probably run the 7's mentioned earlier. What you think? Thanks.

To be fair the grade 7 iridiums I used ran great while they lasted. The first couple of sets lasted about 20K miles and the 3rd set lasted over 14K miles before in each case one of the ground electrodes broke off. This mileage is far above what I would have got with coppers but far below the 40 to 60K (or more) lifespan this type of plug is said to have.

I suspect that largely due to the way iridiums are advertised as a long life high performance plug we may have developed unrealistic expectations of their lifespan in our heavily modified cars. That could cause us to leave them in the car a little too long which is probably why we tend to hear horror stories of them breaking and taking out engines.

You would rarely see that issue with a regular copper plug because you would have removed the plug after a few thousand miles - long before the ground electrode started to fatigue. Well whatever the reason I'm going to stick to coppers and just change them every few thousand miles from now on as they are cheap enough to do this anyway.

JJ - the iridium plug that took out your valve - can you remember how many miles had you done on it?
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Thought I would update the thread with my GT28rs dyno results that I obtained today.

This is a self tune on a PFC. Peak boost is approx. 22psi. I didn't quite hit 400BHP which I would have considered an ideal result but considering the turbo is only rated to around 350 to 360BHP I was pretty happy with getting 378.7BHP on the final run \:D/

The lowest power reading here was at approx. 20psi while the final run was approx. 22psi:

My previous TD06 self tune overlaying the new GT28rs tune for WHP+AFR:

My previous TD06 tune overlaying GT28rs tune for FWHP and FWTQ:

A few observations:
The GT28rs outspooled my TD06 to 250 FWTQ by about 1150RPM.

It outspooled the TD06 to 300FWTQ by about 850RPM.

TD06 is about neck and neck with GT28RS at around 5000RPM then starts to gain an obvious advantage in power/torque.

The area gained in the lower RPMs with the GT28RS over the TD06 is about 9.25 graph area units. The area gained in the upper RPMs with the TD06 over the GT28rs is about 4.5 graph area units so I gained more than I lost in terms of area under the curve.

However it's also worth pointing out that the TD06 was continuing to make more power as the boost increased and would have continued doing so for many more PSI which is well proven by other TD06 dynos. This is not the case for GT28rs which wasn't really seeing much in the way of power gains by increasing boost beyond 21psi.

Anyway all in all I'm quite pleased - just a shame there wasn't another 20BHP in there, lol. The car's dyno sheet looks very much like a larger displacement N/A :lol:
RumbleStrips

Post by RumbleStrips »

Great figures and your new exhaust looks really good 8)

How would a gt28rs compare to my ct20b at low rpms?

Return to “Modifications”