20v conversion

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: 20v conversion

Post by PW@Woodsport »

There will actually be a 3sge/gte/beams 6 speed solution in the not too distant future. The Toyota Auris/Verso D4D box will bolt up to a 3s block.... there are issues with gear linkages and all sorts of other minor stuff but it's a possibility.
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

These are some very interesting thoughts on the 20V swap

I'm looking to finally scratch my MR2 itch and the 20V lump seemed to be perfect - Easy to install, relatively cheap, high revving and best of all in my opinion, ITBs from the factory. There is just something about the thought of having the T-Top off, the windows down and ITBs singing at 7,000RPM just behind my ears that makes me smile 8).

But hearing PW@Woodsport say that he thinks the swap is a waste of money makes me question the idea a bit. Surely you'd agree that the 20V conversion helps keep the MK1 'pure'? I only broke an AW11 briefly, but to me the experience is all about revving to Revs that other engines dream about. I can't help but think all the torque of a V6 would make it a completely different animal.
AdrianS

Insurance and Rego

Post by AdrianS »

Having done similar research, I am partway through a 20v blacktop/6-speed swap.
The main reason is simple - my insurer, and rego authority (in Aus) see the 20v as just another 1600, so no engineers cert. is required.
A 2zz would be legal, being only 1.8 vs 1.6, but requires an engineering certificate (engine mounts etc).
A v6 may be possible, but to be legal, I'd need to jump through hoops to prove the mr2 is safe with twice the capacity / power, and my insurer wouldn't touch it.
There's no point building a car you can't register. I know some people just register mk 1.6's without any certification, but you can be in deep trouble if you are in an accident in what is technically an unroadworthy car.

The rules may be different in the UK; all I'm saying is check out rego/insurance before you build.
ps the 6 speed + toyota lsd makes this an expensive swap for 47 extra hp, but I hope it will be worth it.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Joshy wrote:These are some very interesting thoughts on the 20V swap

I'm looking to finally scratch my MR2 itch and the 20V lump seemed to be perfect - Easy to install, relatively cheap, high revving and best of all in my opinion, ITBs from the factory. There is just something about the thought of having the T-Top off, the windows down and ITBs singing at 7,000RPM just behind my ears that makes me smile 8).

But hearing PW@Woodsport say that he thinks the swap is a waste of money makes me question the idea a bit. Surely you'd agree that the 20V conversion helps keep the MK1 'pure'? I only broke an AW11 briefly, but to me the experience is all about revving to Revs that other engines dream about. I can't help but think all the torque of a V6 would make it a completely different animal.

7000RPM.... and the rest :oldtongue:

I didnt do the conversion on mine, so cant say how i'd feel about it if id spent hours swapping the engine, but i love it. I felt this one has the extra little bit that i thought the 16v missed on track.

Its still missing a few bits like an LSD and the gearing on the standard gearbox isnt great.

If someone offered me a 2ZZ swap though =P~ reason being i think the revvy engines really suit the mk1!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Don't get me wrong joshy, if you can find a 20v cheap and you are doing all the work yourself then it can be a cheap conversion to do, it's just in the scheme of mk1 engine swaps it's on the bottom rung performance wise.

I do agree it keeps the nature of the mk1 the same, high revving etc... but by that argument you could stick a 2zz in there which will be so much more rewarding for your time/money... although the flipside of that is it is harder to fit.

Each to their own i suppose.
MartG

Post by MartG »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Don't get me wrong joshy, if you can find a 20v cheap and you are doing all the work yourself then it can be a cheap conversion to do, it's just in the scheme of mk1 engine swaps it's on the bottom rung performance wise.

Not quite - at least one Mk1 is running around with a 130bhp non-TVIS smallport engine from a 1990+ AE92 in the back :clown:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

What a beast! :D
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

PW@Woodsport wrote:What a beast! :D

And don't forget the the 7age! a good 10-15bhp there

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”