Daily drive mr2 (how much power are you running)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: Daily drive mr2 (how much power are you running)

Post by Race Idiot »

Kongaroo wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:When did you start using winter tyres and when did you take em off. I've been thinking about getting a set but then i'm not sure what i'd do with my lightly used GSD3's on my winter wheels. I'm just hoping it doesnt snow or if it does i'll work at home or something. :mrgreen:

I was realy interested in the GT28 untill I heard people having creep issues with them. I thought the EWGT solved the problem in most cases, what make is your kit?

Luckily I have a few sets of alloys so I don't need to go to the tyre shop each time I want to swap on the winter set. I normally do the swap once the weather forecast shows the day temperature to be consistently below 7 degrees and take them off when it starts to be consistently above 7 degrees C. I'll probably be looking to make my swap within the next few weeks.

Yes boost creep is an issue with the GT28RS - more so if you have a very free flowing setup. I was hoping the external wastegate would make this less of an issue but I get a minimum of 18.x psi boost in 3rd gear and the same setting can give me as high as 20.x psi in 4th on a cold day. As you can imagine this makes it a nightmare for setting boost levels and makes mapping the car less precise compared to when I was mapping my TD06. It also means I have a 'minimum' power level that I can't go below even if I wanted to :mrgreen:

Peter (SBITs) did all the work of putting the kit together for me so I guess that makes this the first SBITs turbo kit? :lol:

I've got a second set of wheels but I realy dont want to run SSR professors in the winter. My buddyclubs are my winter wheels now but they have relatively new GSD3's on em. Where do you get your winter tyres? I can only find them on camskill and it looks like toyo Snowproxies S952 are the only option for 16's. what tyres are you running?
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Race Idiot wrote:I've got a second set of wheels but I realy dont want to run SSR professors in the winter. My buddyclubs are my winter wheels now but they have relatively new GSD3's on em. Where do you get your winter tyres? I can only find them on camskill and it looks like toyo Snowproxies S952 are the only option for 16's. what tyres are you running?

I have 255/40/17 Hankook Icebears on the rear and 225/45/16 Toyo Snowprox on the front.

It's hard to find tyre places that will be competitive price wise to Camskill as their prices are usually the most competitive you will find which is why they get 90% of my business (although they lost points recently in my eyes for stopping telephone orders and not having the R888 prices listed on the website, lol).

For alternatives to Camskill try Tyretraders.com which are roughly the same on price and have a good selection of tyres. Price and delivery cost is always clearly visible in the shopping cart too.

Mytyres.co.uk I find have a good selection of winter tyres but are usually more expensive than Camskill and Tyretraders.
i got boost

Post by i got boost »

512 fwhp drive it all year round too :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

175hp when it was new, so probably about 3hp now 8)
Last edited by ashley on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:but are these Daily Drive "Winter MR2's" as well or are you tucking these beasts away for the winter?? :mrgreen:

Will be getting on a dyno soon once I get the AVCR fitted

Yup, 52 weeks a year when I get chance. Can't see point in hiding it through winter after it's spent the last 15 years seeing winter! Although i'll admit to using te Capri sometimes when it's snowing as it's more fun & less scared about someone hiting me, some fools around! But the 2 has no worries getting abused in the snow!
Ellie_mk2

Post by Ellie_mk2 »

i got boost wrote:512 fwhp drive it all year round too :D

512hp? What you running??

Mine is an all-year daily driver but its just a standard n/a.
Ive already had it in railings though on a wet greasy roundabout though :oops:
It was on whatever naff tyres were on it when i bought it and as i later discovered the wheel alignment was shocking, the track rod nut (i think) was loose, needed shockers, droplinks, ball joint and lower arm so that may have contributed.

Ive got GSD3's on the back now-these are decent enough for winter arent they??
i got boost

Post by i got boost »

i am currently running a greddy t88 but im thinking of changing my turbo to a garrett gt35r or a gt4088 :D
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

i got boost wrote:i am currently running a greddy t88 but im thinking of changing my turbo to a garrett gt35r or a gt4088 :D

Your not even stretching the T88's legs yet are you? I've seen a T88 strapped to a MR2 flat line perfect touch's dyno, Although a GT35 would be less laggy and still easily make the 500hp you have now.
i got boost

Post by i got boost »

i maxed out the 850cc injectors i need some 1150cc injectors still got nitrous to fit too :)
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

t88 just give in, its lethal, lmao.

u will get like an extra 400hp come in within 1,000rpm. scary stuff

gt35 will outspool, and match power at same level of boost as t88
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Ellie_mk2 wrote:Ive got GSD3's on the back now-these are decent enough for winter arent they??

all the manufacturers state that there high performance tyres shouldnt be used in winter, though everybody does
as long as you dont have to combine snow with inclines, you should be fine
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

The thing is it's not really to do with how good or expensive your summer tyres are. Below 7 degrees C all summer tyres generally becomes less able to grip than a dedicated winter tyre as the rubber compound they are made from is different and starts to harden while the winter compound doesn't.

Some companies have measured this difference to be roughly 6m longer to stop in the wet from 50mph with summer tyres compared to winter tyres when the temperature drops.

It's even more obvious on an icy road where stopping from just 20mph with summer tyres can take roughly 9m longer than with winter tyres.

Try parking slowly up a modest incline when there is just a couple of inches of snow and you'll soon see the difference in grip between them. Plus that's just at parking speeds - this lack of grip is going to be even worse at say 50mph on the motorway after there's been heavy snowfall :lol:

Having said that it is possible to use regular summer tyres if there is little or no snow fall so long as you realise the grip level is reduced and drive accordingly :thumleft:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

119 bhp :thumleft:
All year round!

Otherwise stuck with 122 bhp out the MK1
I am going to live forever, or die trying!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”