[Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Post by djpkins »

how can detonation be kept at bay? is there a fail safe to avoid it?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

djpkins wrote:how can detonation be kept at bay? is there a fail safe to avoid it?

well personally i use water and methanol/ethanol, its very effective..

greeny you know me too well lol :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

just finished off the fuel rail

sard fuel rail with delphi injectors, i kept the stock loom and used adaptor harnesses to go from aftermarkt injectors to stock loom

link ecu with stock loom adaptor fitted

seeing as were on the subject, WI pump and injection point

Marf

Post by Marf »

Did you have to make your own loom adapter or have Link released one for the mr2+g4 now?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

had thor do it mate, injector clips were from ebay
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I have a rev2 lightly modified..mines ecu, arc ic, avcr running 1 bar, dep 2 exst ...should I worry about detonation? I havn't had the hg done and regularly give my car a good thrashing, I was going to do the hg myself this winter, when I do the rev 3 conversion...hg has been a concern cos I've read so many threads stating it's such a neccesity but you seem to have a different opinion and your obviously a very competant mechanic...I follow your thread with great interest...good work man :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

well i guess detonation can happen anytime but if you havent had an issue as yet then you dont have a present issue...is the mines ecu a standalone?, if its a chipped stock ecu then they tend to retard the ignition when det is detected anyway (which makes for a slow car but saves the engine sometimes)

the thing is that an uprated gasket wont cure det either, it may put up with it for a bit longer maybe but its not curing the issue...

im no expert on MR2's though so regard my opinions as generalisations :-k
Chris

Post by Chris »

Well good luck with it matey. But if the HG dunt blow out, the ringlands will go. I class them as one of the weakest links on the stock internals.

I have not read any of the American forums so I am unaware of what they say can be done over the pond, but after stripping quite a few of these engines with running probs, the ringlands are fooked. Even some with no running issues have ruined ringlands. These cars have not been high power or suffering det. Just stock cars running a little more boost.

However, I'd like you to see how far you can go. I like things/theory being proved incorrect. I di it with the stock head and cams 500bhp theory. :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

so there was no obvious damage to the piston face on the pistons with broken ringlands?, no detonation evidence?

TBH i dont think i have ever stripped a turbo car and not seen some detonation marks on the flats
Chris

Post by Chris »

No, no det damage at all. The ringlands are just weak. Usually a Bar of boost will kill Rev1/2 ringlands after time, and around 1.3Bar will kill Rev 3 after a while.

The last engine I saw stripped was a Rev 3, low mileage running 1.3 Bar on a CT20 with a Sard ECM. Only stripped so he could run a GT3076R for more power. No running probs, no sign of DET. 2 cracked ringlands.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

x2

Have also stripped a few blocks and found cracked/damaged ringlands with no signs of piston damage

Be nice to see how long it last and what power it makes, good project.

Honestly dont think it will be long, sorry mate.

Lewis.
mr2ninja

Post by mr2ninja »

T.F.S. wrote:just finished off the fuel rail

sard fuel rail with delphi injectors, i kept the stock loom and used adaptor harnesses to go from aftermarkt injectors to stock loom

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/ ... 020184.jpg

T.F.S., I love your fuel rail :thumleft: ! Where did you get it? How much was it? Did it just bolt on to your REV2? I was under the impression that SARD only made them for the REV3 motors? Sorry about all the questions but I really want a SARD fuel rail for my REV1/REV2 motor :D !

link ecu with stock loom adaptor fitted

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/ ... 020188.jpg

seeing as were on the subject, WI pump and injection point

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/ ... 010930.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/ ... 010932.jpg
mr2ninja

Post by mr2ninja »

[quote="T.F.S."]just finished off the fuel rail

T.F.S., I love your fuel rail ! Where did you get it? How much was it? Did it just bolt on to your REV2? I was under the impression that SARD only made them for the REV3 motors? Sorry about all the questions but I really want a SARD fuel rail for my REV1/REV2 motor !
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

bought it from ebay mate
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

JJ wrote:Whilst you sound competant in what you're doing, Id also recommend some preventative measures in cracking of the manifold / downpipe assembly ... I dont know if its possible to brace / secure the flange from the turbo to the block somewhere....

Consider some poly pushes for the front and rear engine mounts, they do assist in not pulling the manifold off after every hard launch... :thumleft:

as jj said brace the mani, i braced mine underneath as the weight of the manifold pushes against the block, i have seen some braced at the top but to me this does not work well as the bracket can bend down i time :thumleft:
ImageImage
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

totally agree there mate!, i also drilled out the holes on the manifold to allow for expansion...been there before :oops:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

started it up for the first time today after about 8 months,. a coupleo progess pics..

the inlet looks incomplete but its all connected up

Last edited by T.F.S. on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

so what is your exsact spec buddy?

what ecu are you running or planning on running?
is the water injection system aquamist or other??

with the amount of time youv spent on your build matey i would of deffantly installed a larger rear boot mount intercooler especialy if your looking for figures of excess of 400bhp is this a fw figure or wheel hp figure dude?
did you brace the underneath of the mannifold in the end?
also when do you think you will be hitting full boost?

i wish the best off luck to you buddy as others hav said i doubt the ringlands or headgasket will put up with much abuse to be hounest and would seem a shame for you to hav the car off the road for so long and then hav to do it all over with new internals etc i would hav thort with the engine out for so long it would hav been logical to split the engine fit new conrods,standard sized 86mm forge pistons ,new bearings, gakset set, ARP studs job done,atlest that way you would of seen the full benerfits from the turbo upgrade,and been able to run higher boost levels etc, but if you dont try an all that,but as you hav said over the pond they hav produced serious figures from stock internals,head hasket etc but i would say this i wouldnt beleive everything you read on the net. but as i said before i wish you the best of luck :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

i have three cars so having it in the garage is no problem lol, it would have been done a lot quicker but getting some parts is a nightmare

the ECU is link and the WI is aquamist as pictured above

engine is stock yes, as is the clutch lol

ill use it as it is for a while and maybe this coming winter ill take it back off the road and fit a set of forgies
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

mines got a Berk GT3071 on and the HG has now got a slight leak and burning a little oil. runnign 1 bar with berk intercooler, engine lid spals and intercooler fan with G3 ECU.

next is forge!!

Return to “Modifications”