X19 vs Mk1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimi

Re: X19 vs Mk1

Post by jimi »

This was mine, one of the early 1300's (1977) with the little 1/4 bumpers, it had a little badge on the wing with crossed flags, a number(which I believe was the production number and Bertone below the number.
I bought it when it was 3 years old and had it for about 6 years. The previuos owner had been to Italy in it and had even had it serviced in Turin.
Great car, super handling. Never let me down and never had any electrical problems with it. I had an awful lot of fun with that car :thumleft:
Good points were, the styling, the handling, targa roof, boot space, spare wheel storage and the engine, although it wasn't fast the engine was similar to the 4A-GE in that it loved to be revved.
Bad points, rust, brakes (were fine when they worked but needed constant attention), rust, the brakes, rust !
I started out looking for another X1-9 about 5 years ago, but couldn't find a decent one for sensible money, so decided to look for a MK1 instead, never regretted that decision :thumleft:
Having said that I never regretted buying USA957S
omracing

Post by omracing »

Check it out -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-X1-9-X19-X-1 ... 7C294%3A50

Bit to much chrome for my liking, although I like the white car in the photos.
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Lol! How did I miss this thread? :shock:
bobbyh wrote:
anyone driven/owned both?

Well I've owned three X1/9s and an MR2 Supercharger so I should be able to comment.

The X1/9 was a car that Fiat / Lancia never fully developed to it's full potential :thumbdown:

In my very humble opinion (don't shoot me down) the X1/9 1300 is a much prettier car than the Mk1 MR2. The 1500cc car however had hideous bumpers to do with American regulations. :thumbdown:

I have owned two 1300cc cars, one of which was converted to a 1756cc twincam engine (which is what Fiat should have fitted in the first place ](*,) ) The last one I owned was a 1500cc Gran Finale, beautiful car but not enough power to make it a proper sportscar.

In summary:

X1/9: Beautiful lines, loads of potential, never properly developed by Fiat. Needed a proper engine and some decent brakes and then it would have been fantastic.

MR2 Mk1: Good looks, a super high revving engine, excellent handling, adequate brakes, in other words a better engineered X1/9.
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Let's face it, neither car is 'pretty', but the X19 is definitely a purer driver's car.

The mk1 MR2 is too heavy really, but it is a far better built car overall and it has the fabulous 4AGE engine.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Icsunonove wrote:

In my very humble opinion (don't shoot me down) the X1/9 1300 is a much prettier car than the Mk1 MR2. The 1500cc car however had hideous bumpers to do with American regulations. :thumbdown:

I'd say they are about equal for looks, but I totally agree about the 1500's, they spoiled the look of the car with those bumpers :-:
Icsunonove wrote:
I have owned two 1300cc cars, one of which was converted to a 1756cc twincam engine (which is what Fiat should have fitted in the first place)

either that or the 2 litre twin cam :thumleft: I always fancied doing the 2 litre conversion, but never got round to it.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

JMR_AW11 wrote:Let's face it, neither car is 'pretty', but the X19 is definitely a purer driver's car.

Disagree with that. I think the 1300cc X1/9 was a really pretty car. With a proper engine in it (like I had) it made for a simply superb sportscar. The handling was truly mesmeric. :shock:

JMR_AW11 wrote:The mk1 MR2 is too heavy really, but it is a far better built car overall and it has the fabulous 4AGE engine.

I really can't disagree with that Jeremy.....The car (in my humble opinion) is too heavy but the engine is simply a classic.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Icsunonove wrote:

JMR_AW11 wrote:The mk1 MR2 is too heavy really, but it is a far better built car overall and it has the fabulous 4AGE engine.

I really can't disagree with that Jeremy.....The car (in my humble opinion) is too heavy but the engine is simply a classic.

grenades itself a bit too easily IMHO :oops:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

grenades itself a bit too easily IMHO

Totally agree, classic engine it may be but it scores badly on long term reliability, but there are always exceptions and i'm sure someone will now pop up with a 200k one.

I personally think the x1/9 is a horrible looking car even though it's closely related to the Mk1, the Mk1 is gorgeous from every angle and better designed in every way.This is just my personal opinion but let's face it the question is being asked on an Mr2 forum :D
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Icsunonove wrote:
JMR_AW11 wrote:Let's face it, neither car is 'pretty', but the X19 is definitely a purer driver's car.

Disagree with that. I think the 1300cc X1/9 was a really pretty car. With a proper engine in it (like I had) it made for a simply superb sportscar. The handling was truly mesmeric. :shock:

I guess what makes a car look pretty is a personal thing, but for me pretty cars have curves and both these cars are too angular.... :D

I do agree about the brilliant X19 handling. The mk1 MR2 handling is very good and a lot of fun but it doesn't quite have the 'connected' feel you can only get from a true lightweight sportscar.

The mk1 MR2 started out too heavy then Toyota made it even heavier with the T bar and sideskirts etc... :(
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

that orange one is goppin!
take the integrale engine out, put it in the white one and burn the rest..
the green un is mint as is..
had a corgi one identical as a kid.
moogy

Post by moogy »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
grenades itself a bit too easily IMHO

Totally agree, classic engine it may be but it scores badly on long term reliability, but there are always exceptions and i'm sure someone will now pop up with a 200k one.

There's a guy that lives out towards Builth Wells, I was talking to him last summer and I'm sure he's done 218k.
rolandfantom

Post by rolandfantom »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:Althought I'd love to try an Uno Turbo engine converted X19..

Mine had a 16v Integrale engine in it (Integrale's were my "thing" for quite a few years), and a guy named Nick Troth had a 3.0l 24v Alfa engine in his; you're talking seriously quick, but sadly the X1/9 never felt substantial inside the cabin so although it was reasonably well made, it just never felt it.

Even as a devoted Italianisti, and long term X1/9 admirer (and owner), I would say that the Mk1 MR2 is a better prospect in almost every respect.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”