Audi TT and R34GTR

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

johnp

Re: Audi TT and R34GTR

Post by johnp »

matt_mr2t wrote:Spot on with the remap figures there matey.

http://www.more-bhp.com/tt/audi-tt-18t-225-remap.html

Have to say, £200 for 40bhp with a simple mapping is a good VFM mod IMO.

The bluefin as a comparison for the Focus ST takes power from 225 to about 280 bhp but costs £600 IIRC.

I wouldn't know for sure,but there is a lot of talk on the TT forum about problems with cheap stage 1 remaps,consensus seems to be that you only get a proper job for about £500.
todd

Post by todd »

No disrespect to you mate but that's rubbish, plenty of respected folk on the forum that'll see you right for £250.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The revotec ones are pretty pricey I notice, in comparisson any way.

Still, no need for a piggyback or replacement ECU, just shows the game has changed over the years.
johnp

Post by johnp »

todd wrote:No disrespect to you mate but that's rubbish, plenty of respected folk on the forum that'll see you right for £250.

To include a full diagnostic fault check and rolling road power run before,then a custom map where you can specify the emphasis on maxing torque or power,then futher power and diagnostic runs,finally a road test with both of you driving....and you only pay if satisfied otherwise they revert it to standard...??? All for £250? Really??
todd

Post by todd »

Lol, you are talking about custom remaps now, different to initial post.

Nothing wrong with a generic remap, plenty to choose from but if you want to spend 500 then that's your option.

If you spend a bit of time reading reviews on the tt forum you'll find a good map to choose from.

Most folk upgrade their DV to a forge at the same time but personal choice.

:)

EDIT:

If you go for a TT, have to get one of these http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=10704

Bloke that developed them stayed along the road from me and had it running in my car, well impressive for the money
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Most of these modern cars have complete, off the shelf remaps available for standard cars. Sometimes they even have off the shelf maps to suit other mods, for instance a boost increase, exhaust and airfilter.

They've done all the work on a car, all the road testing, rolling road, fueling, timing etc etc so that when YOU go for your remap, it's just a case of plugging it in, downloading the map to the standard ECU and bobs your uncle.

This obviously will only work on a standard car that is in full working order. Or one that has the mods that their map is made for.

IMO, it's a very good idea, saves a lot of money on things you dont need & most of all, looks totally standard, no hard wiring of of piggy backs of complete replacement ecu units.
todd

Post by todd »

Well put :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The bluefin one for the fords even adjusts the boost as part of the unit.

When you consider it's effectively a direct plug in piggyback AND boost controller all for £600, even thats pretty good VFM.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

todd wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Are the turbo's on them unique to VAG engines, like our CT's are unique to Toyota engines? Or are they standard fitment Garret or similar?

I always thought they were unique to the VAGs but could be wrong.

Another great resource http://www.wak-tt.com/links/links.htm Wak is one of the major gurus and his how to guides are great.

Dont think so. I thought they used KKK turbos.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:Most of these modern cars have complete, off the shelf remaps available for standard cars. Sometimes they even have off the shelf maps to suit other mods, for instance a boost increase, exhaust and airfilter.

They've done all the work on a car, all the road testing, rolling road, fueling, timing etc etc so that when YOU go for your remap, it's just a case of plugging it in, downloading the map to the standard ECU and bobs your uncle.

This obviously will only work on a standard car that is in full working order. Or one that has the mods that their map is made for.

IMO, it's a very good idea, saves a lot of money on things you dont need & most of all, looks totally standard, no hard wiring of of piggy backs of complete replacement ecu units.

I used a "staged" off the shelf map for my 200sx and it was great! huge difference and much cheaper than a custom map.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

My Dastek was £600 + I had to buy a boost controller. The gain was about 30 odd bhp.

It's a shame there's no direct plug in with a preset gain for the tubby. It would be nice to buy a rev 3 in standard nick, pay a couple of hundred quid and KNOW it would be about 280bhp. Thats a good power to have.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:My Dastek was £600 + I had to buy a boost controller. The gain was about 30 odd bhp.

It's a shame there's no direct plug in with a preset gain for the tubby. It would be nice to buy a rev 3 in standard nick, pay a couple of hundred quid and KNOW it would be about 280bhp. Thats a good power to have.

Yeah, would be very usefull if the standard ECU was about to be remapped. Would be much better than having to invest in a new ECU after modding.
stiggy

Post by stiggy »

matt_mr2t wrote:My Dastek was £600 + I had to buy a boost controller. The gain was about 30 odd bhp.

You mean the Blitz ECU then? Admittedly they're more than £200!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

stiggy wrote:

No, because the blitz ECU replaces the MR2 one.
These upgrades plug into the standard cars ECU, change the map, then unplug. There's physically nothing changed.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:
stiggy wrote:

No, because the blitz ECU replaces the MR2 one.
These upgrades plug into the standard cars ECU, change the map, then unplug. There's physically nothing changed.

Exactly, all these retain the standard ECU, but just run a different map.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The new TTRS looks a bit tastey.

2.5 20v Turbo with 340bhp. 0-60 4.6s
That means it's substantially faster than it's rivals such as the SLK AMG, Porsche Boxter, 370Z and other smaller coupe's.
£50k is too much though IMO. It puts it too near to cars like the GTR, M3, RS4, E63 AMG etc.

But in a couple of years, I bet it's value drops considerably more than those....

Audi are billing it as the natural successor to the 80's Quatro.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

R35 FTW!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

tonigmr2 wrote:R35 FTW!

Lol, that should be your signiture.

Is it referred to as R35 in Skyline circles or is that actually an official Nissan designation?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It's referred to as the R35 in GTR circles. It's no longer a Skyline. :wink:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Now your just confusing things lol.

Is it actually an R35 though, in the same vain as the R32, R33 and R34?

Or one of these ugly monsters Image
R31

Return to “Driving Experiences”