[Mk2] [Turbo] Massive overboost but can't diagnose - # solved #

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Olly P

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Massive overboost but can't diagnose - # solved #

Post by Olly P »

Ok, just had Matt from Rogue on the phone.

He took the car out this morning and immediately it displayed the boost problem.

They went throught the car systematically and checked everything. Then they changed the AFM with one from another MR2. Took the car back out, and there it was..... full, smooth and hard boost -everytime!

\:D/

So now they can continue with the rest of the service, and suspension overhaul :thumleft:
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

I had that EBC problem on my Greddy Profec....turns out it was the controller and not the solenoid on mine.

Anyone get this common problem as well?
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

mines started overboosting today. it started with hesitation midway through the revs in 3rd gear. it then started overboosting to 1.4 bar but i wasnt really getting any power? also the starter motor icon would momentarily flash up on the dash? any help would be appreciated.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

mattymr2 wrote:mines started overboosting today. it started with hesitation midway through the revs in 3rd gear. it then started overboosting to 1.4 bar but i wasnt really getting any power? also the starter motor icon would momentarily flash up on the dash? any help would be appreciated.

Sorry mate, can't help.

Might be worth starting a new thread.
si324mr2

Post by si324mr2 »

olly it was your airflow meter causing ur car to overboost??
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

si324mr2 wrote:olly it was your airflow meter causing ur car to overboost??

Sounds strange but yes. The AFM was screwing up the air/fuel mix and the car was running stupidly rich. Why this caused the turbo to overboost I don't know. It boosts sooooo nicely now, it makes me think it was on it's way for a while.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

G-force wrote:I've got the exact same problem mate. i put my foot down and it moves very lethargically, i get a fuel cut at 5k revs, its very slow. really p155ing me off aswell, but im gonna take some info from this and try remove my blitz ebc.

is the ebc, wiring and solenoid easy to remove? any how-tos? im a n00b :s

Ignore me. Just seen your separate thread.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

mattymr2 wrote:mines started overboosting today. it started with hesitation midway through the revs in 3rd gear. it then started overboosting to 1.4 bar but i wasnt really getting any power? also the starter motor icon would momentarily flash up on the dash? any help would be appreciated.

It will be showing the light on the dash due to fuel cut. Do you still have the Stock VSV connected or a seperate boost controller? It is likely to be either:

1) VSV or Boost controller faulty
2) leak in one of the vac pipes between turbo and actuator (including any boost controller or vsv)
3) Faulty actuator
4) Faulty wastegate.

Most likely to be 1 or 2, best to check them first.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

knock sensor im guessing
NeilMr2Turbo

Post by NeilMr2Turbo »

Olly P what's your settings? , just trying to keep mine at 1bar
viper33

restrictor

Post by viper33 »

Gee Man wrote:I had an over boost problem with mine a while back, all be it a rev3 but stock turbo still.

I had an induction kit and full system exhaust and i could not turn the boost down from 1.25 bar as much as i tried. I had a chat with a few people and ended up buying a restrictor for the bottom of the down pipe(takes it from a 3" to 2 1/2"), this basically gives the turbo a bit more back pressure and like magic my problem went away :thumleft:

I was told my system was that free flowing it would over boost.

Might help your situation mate.

That sounds exactly like the problem I've got. Where did you get your restrictor, and how much did it cost mate??
viper33

restrictor

Post by viper33 »

Gee Man wrote:I had an over boost problem with mine a while back, all be it a rev3 but stock turbo still.

I had an induction kit and full system exhaust and i could not turn the boost down from 1.25 bar as much as i tried. I had a chat with a few people and ended up buying a restrictor for the bottom of the down pipe(takes it from a 3" to 2 1/2"), this basically gives the turbo a bit more back pressure and like magic my problem went away :thumleft:

That sounds exactly like the problem I've got. Where did you get your restrictor, and how much did it cost mate??
Steve-O 2007

Re: restrictor

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

viper33 wrote:

you get it from a banned site that we cant say on here which is silly as it now means I cant help you properly. As much as I want to help a fellow MR2 owner out I cant due to Imoc adding the site name to the swear filter!!!

Anyway I can give you a clue (Hopefully 8-[ 8-[ ) starts with a T ends in a v
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
viper33 wrote:

you get it from a banned site that we cant say on here which is silly as it now means I cant help you properly. As much as I want to help a fellow MR2 owner out I cant due to Imoc adding the site name to the swear filter!!!

xxxx :lol: Just wanted to see the filter working.

Click this link mate..

http://tinyurl.com/q2674b
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:
viper33 wrote:

xxxx :lol: Just wanted to see the filter working.

Click this link mate..

http://tinyurl.com/q2674b

lol, Thats the one, enter the shop and its under Exhausts and Downpipes
viper33

Post by viper33 »

thanks guys :thumleft:

I also have minus 25psi on the boost gauge at idle, does that confirm the need for the restrictor?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

viper33 wrote:thanks guys :thumleft:

I also have minus 25psi on the boost gauge at idle, does that confirm the need for the restrictor?

That's perfectly normal mate. When your car is on idle, it will create a vacuum. Mine sits at around -30 on my gauge when off the accel pedal
viper33

overboost sorted

Post by viper33 »

Got boost control back again, thanks to Luke @ pacific works.
Went down the route of exhaust restrictor, and had a custom exhaust co look at doing it. They took one look at it and said its a mongoose system, and showed me the built in restrictor in the neck of the pipe. I typed in 'what to do to stop overboost on a turbo engine' on google, and it came up with a link to the 'north american subaru owners club'. They were talking about porting the exit route to the wastegate, and cutting back the lip that the wastegate flap rests on #-o. I spoke to Luke about this, and he didn't like that idea. So I took the car for him to have a look at, and in 2 seconds flat he spotted that the exit pipe from the acuator wasn't bloked off. He fitted a bloked off tube and boost control was returned :lol:. If you are reading this Luke, thanks mate, you're a star :thumleft:.
viper33

overboost sorted

Post by viper33 »

Went down the route of exhaust restrictor, and had a custom exhaust co look at doing it. They took one look at it and said its a mongoose system, and showed me the built in restrictor in the neck of the pipe. I typed in 'what to do to stop overboost on a turbo engine' on google, and it came up with a link to the 'north american subaru owners club'. They were talking about porting the exit route to the wastegate, and cutting back the lip that the wastegate flap rests on #-o. I spoke to Luke about this, and he didn't like that idea. So I took the car for him to have a look at, and in 2 seconds flat he spotted that the exit pipe from the acuator wasn't bloked off. He fitted a bloked off tube and boost control was returned :lol:. If you are reading this Luke, thanks mate, you're a star :thumleft:.
viper33

overboost sorted

Post by viper33 »

Return to “Mechanical”