Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattcambs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] UPDATE: Modification to: JOINT ASSY, STEERING SHAFT UNIVERSAL

Post by mattcambs »

Spacer made :D

cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Cool. And there was me expecting a small disc just to replace the rubber section.

I take it the idea is to remove everything from and including the rubber up?
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

yes. the spacer will replace everything between the two halves of the joint. They're heftier than I expected!

I have 5 spacers and I need to source long bolts and nyloc nuts. I have been advised to deform the thread on the bolts with a hammer and chisel once the joint has been re-assembled.

I should be able to get a price to have more made so anyone else interested can have one. I won't be supplying the nuts/bolts or advising on how to do this mod, though. I don't want to end up in court :lol:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Forking hell that's a sizeable lump of steel!! :shock:

Did you not think about making it from ally or were there costs involved?
cantfindausername

well one thing is for sure... it will eliminate any chance of flex in there!

I shouldn't think the extra weight will affect the steering of the car. Most people have aftermarket (lighter weight) steering wheels anyway, so this would only counter act that really.

Dunno if I'm missing something here or not though, but shouldn't there be 4 holes? :-k
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

cantfindausername wrote:well one thing is for sure... it will eliminate any chance of flex in there!

I shouldn't think the extra weight will affect the steering of the car. Most people have aftermarket (lighter weight) steering wheels anyway, so this would only counter act that really.

Dunno if I'm missing something here or not though, but shouldn't there be 4 holes? :-k

Basically, you rotate the 2 halves of the joint 90deg relative to their original position and all the holes line up meaning that only 2 bolts are needed. They will need to be much longer than the original bolts.

slarty wrote:Forking hell that's a sizeable lump of steel!!

I was surprised to see that they'd used steel too! Maybe they used some off cuts lying around? Although they weigh about 2 to 3 times the weight of the rubber gubbins, I'd have thought as a percentage of the total weight of the entire steering column it was quite small still.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Being as theres some play in the splines ,could the rubber be removed and then the bolts put back and locked up?
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

BLZ-8027 wrote:Being as theres some play in the splines ,could the rubber be removed and then the bolts put back and locked up?

Yes, but you'd have to use new nuts and bolts. The UJ is really not designed to be taken apart! This is how Luthor1 did the mod originally, though :)

The reason I had a spacer made was so that there will be absolutely no movement possible in the joint at all.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

mattcambs wrote:
BLZ-8027 wrote:Being as theres some play in the splines ,could the rubber be removed and then the bolts put back and locked up?

Yes, but you'd have to use new nuts and bolts. The UJ is really not designed to be taken apart! This is how Luthor1 did the mod originally, though :)

The reason I had a spacer made was so that there will be absolutely no movement possible in the joint at all.

:oops: of course and i read all the post as well ,Ah well its late thats my excuse :whistle:
cantfindausername

mattcambs wrote:
cantfindausername wrote:well one thing is for sure... it will eliminate any chance of flex in there!

Basically, you rotate the 2 halves of the joint 90deg relative to their original position and all the holes line up meaning that only 2 bolts are needed. They will need to be much longer than the original bolts.

slarty wrote:Forking hell that's a sizeable lump of steel!!

I was surprised to see that they'd used steel too! Maybe they used some off cuts lying around? Although they weigh about 2 to 3 times the weight of the rubber gubbins, I'd have thought as a percentage of the total weight of the entire steering column it was quite small still.

Makes perfect sense now. Hadn't even considered that. :lol:

Should be a good mod! :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “Mechanical”