[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gline

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Post by gline »

toxo wrote:Everything I've done in this guide and my own experience is for rev3+ and st205 engines, so yours might be a bit different but shouldn't be massively out. The throttle sock goes on the throttle body. It's the part that joins the outlet from the chargecooler core to the throttle body. On the MR2 this is a solid metal tube mounted with 4 bolts to the throttle body. It's about 4" long and has a silicon joiner on it to connect the intercooler pipe. On the ST205 this part is made of flexible plastic (so no need for an additional hose) and is much shorter than the MR2 part. If you leave the standard throttle adaptor on the MR2 engine it is too long to mate up to the outlet from the cooler. All this will be demonstrated in pictures soon :)

cool man, thanks. looking forward to the rest of the guide, I will certinaly be using this guide.

Also another question, did you put any insulation around the piping?
I used to work at an air conditioning warehouse and we sold this rubber foamy tubing that goes around pipes and it makes a big difference to keeping temperatures stable. also an added layer of prtection for the piping.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I did think about lagging the pipes but that kind of stuff is really designed for solid pipes. I think this stuff is pretty solid anyway so haven't bothered. It's a good few mm thick and is reinforced internally too. The underside of the core is covered in heat wrap though to stop heatsoak through from the top of the engine - however I didn't do that, it was like that when I bought it.

Edit: Plus the ST205 pump is gonna be pumping the water around so fast I don't think it's going to have a chance to absorb any heat through the pipework.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Thread updated w/radiator fitment guide... Still need to accurately record the pipe routes from front to back though, it really needs to stop raining!!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Due to the fact that I only have access to axle stands and trolley jacks, and it's bloody wet under my car at the moment, I'm gonna wait until I can get the car on some ramps to do photos of the hose routing. Blame Toyota for putting a bolt through one of the undertrays **in the middle of the jacking point**. That's not thinking ahead. Have updated the first few posts a bit more with plumbing advice.
gline

Post by gline »

Can anyone recommend a decent pump that can be run 24/7 ?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I'm sure the Celica one would be fine. According to almost everyone it runs pretty much flat out all the time anyway. If you do buy one just remember to change the bearings before you fit it to the car - you can buy them from RS for a pittance.

Guide updated, I have finished the front end of the car and put it back together now!!
gline

Post by gline »

toxo wrote:I'm sure the Celica one would be fine. According to almost everyone it runs pretty much flat out all the time anyway. If you do buy one just remember to change the bearings before you fit it to the car - you can buy them from RS for a pittance.

Guide updated, I have finished the front end of the car and put it back together now!!

excuse my ignorance but what is RS?? you got a link??

I have a celica pump, but it does look real old, so i will prob need to change bearings
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Sorry, my mistake. They're RS bearings that you can buy off eBay and the like.

See http://www.gtfours.co.uk/how_to/ic_pp_o ... 5/pump.htm for more info!
gline

Post by gline »

toxo wrote:Sorry, my mistake. They're RS bearings that you can buy off eBay and the like.

See http://www.gtfours.co.uk/how_to/ic_pp_o ... 5/pump.htm for more info!

for anyone wanting to know, the 2 bearings you need is - 2 bearings - 1 x 609-ZZ and 1 x 629-2RS
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

www.bearingboys.co.uk stock these, £7.83 for the pair including VAT and delivery.

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/product.cg ... ew&id=7740
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/product.cg ... ew&id=7764

Definately worth doing this before I fill the system with coolant, it'd be a right PITA if they went after!
gline

Post by gline »

toxo wrote:www.bearingboys.co.uk stock these, £7.83 for the pair including VAT and delivery.

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/product.cg ... ew&id=7740
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/product.cg ... ew&id=7764

Definately worth doing this before I fill the system with coolant, it'd be a right PITA if they went after!

true, i just orderd mine off ebay, dirt cheap they are :)

gonna do this before I install mine also
bolton

Post by bolton »

1 x Coolant Bottle - T08889-80002
whats this the forlife coolant??
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

That's the coolant that goes in the chargecooler system. You can probably use any coolant / antifreeze mix, but I spoke to a Toyota engineer who said that they use the same coolant in the chargecooler as they do in the 3S-GTE engine (the ethelene-glycol stuff), which is forlife.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

I've done this today, except I had to cut into my genuine toms bumper to fit the samco hose in, i mounted mine the other way around, and did not run my pipes stright down but angled through the back slightly,

I also mounted my pump the otherway around to yours to give me some extra ground clearence, im not sure if the drainige issues will cause any problems or it might still drain?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jdbecks wrote:I had to cut into my genuine toms bumper

Ouch!

jdbecks wrote:i mounted mine the other way around

So that the screw mounts are facing the aircon radiator? How are you intending to get to the nipple on the radiator to help bleed the system? I had thought about doing this but decided not to because of bleeding, it would have made my life much easier if I could've figured that out!

jdbecks wrote:I also mounted my pump the otherway around to yours to give me some extra ground clearence

You got a photo? Sounds like that might be worthwhile, I've not actually plummed mine in yet as the hose doesn't fit...
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

toxo wrote:
jdbecks wrote:I had to cut into my genuine toms bumper

Ouch!

jdbecks wrote:i mounted mine the other way around

So that the screw mounts are facing the aircon radiator? How are you intending to get to the nipple on the radiator to help bleed the system? I had thought about doing this but decided not to because of bleeding, it would have made my life much easier if I could've figured that out!

jdbecks wrote:I also mounted my pump the otherway around to yours to give me some extra ground clearence

You got a photo? Sounds like that might be worthwhile, I've not actually plummed mine in yet as the hose doesn't fit...

No not so the screw mounts are facing the aircon rad, they still face out, but the hose connections face the passenger side, i never noticed a bleed nipple on my fiat rad :( no i can take one tomorrow, if you imagine yours but instead of hanging down from the gearbox its mounted so its sitting above the bracket, inlet/outlet pipes face the near side wheel, and its sitting just above the inspection panel/ plastic cover under the engine, its just as solid as if i left it hanging down

yeah it was painful cutting into the toms bumper, I had no choice no mater what way i fitted the rad, i only had to sand down a slight curve into the back of the bumper and side of the vertical join bit
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Right, I get what you mean, the rad is upside down :thumleft: In that case the bleed nipple should be bottom left (which means it won't function for bleeding anymore) - it looks like the other 3 screw mounts but it's a bit skinnier and protrudes a bit more than the others.

I've just got a new bumper and have had to hack some little chunks out of it for my radiator brackets.... wish I'd designed them a bit differently now!
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

toxo wrote:Right, I get what you mean, the rad is upside down :thumleft: In that case the bleed nipple should be bottom left (which means it won't function for bleeding anymore) - it looks like the other 3 screw mounts but it's a bit skinnier and protrudes a bit more than the others.

I've just got a new bumper and have had to hack some little chunks out of it for my radiator brackets.... wish I'd designed them a bit differently now!

Doh Cant belive I missed it! looks like Ive made bleeding harder for myself now :clap: #-o

how are you going to wire up your pump? and what 2 wires do we need to do it? I'll take a photo showing my pump orientation tomorrow, I left my car in my mates garage
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

There's a p1$$ing diagram somewhere on one of the forums, but I'm bu88ered if I can find it!!
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

I tried searching too but could not find one ](*,)

Return to “Modifications”