Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gullzter

Re: Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by Gullzter »

GeorgeL wrote:Just a little update...

I've bought Craig's (RedMR2) rev3 jdm turbo tintop shell....

Now all I need to do is get my hands on the appropriate parts I need to make it rollable for painting etc. (Subframes, shocks, hubs etc) luckily I've go some rev3 wheels in the garage which helps matters.

Safe to say this car will be changing a fair bit :whistle:

Mental :twisted:
But then so is everything else with this project lol

Between myself and Glen you should be sorted for parts buddy. Pm me to make arrangements for getting parts as were limited to this Sat being the latest as im sure you already know :roll:
craig

Post by craig »

Now all I need to do is get my hands on the appropriate parts I need to make it rollable for painting etc. (Subframes, shocks, hubs etc) luckily I've go some rev3 wheels in the garage which helps matters.

Seriously tuned in, can't wait to see this.

Really really glad my old shell is going back on the road! \:D/ :clap: :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Not a trick question- but why, what's wrong with your current shell?

Oh- and I reckon you need a bigger TB on your engine mate :wink:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Gullzter wrote:

Mental :twisted:
But then so is everything else with this project lol

Between myself and Glen you should be sorted for parts buddy. Pm me to make arrangements for getting parts as were limited to this Sat being the latest as im sure you already know :roll:

Awesome buddy fingers crossed we can get them off lol! I will do mate. I'm away down south but hopefully be back for it :)

I'll message you mid week and sort something out. If I can't make it my old man will be able to :)
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

RedMR² wrote:

Seriously tuned in, can't wait to see this.

Really really glad my old shell is going back on the road! \:D/ :clap: :thumleft:

Hopefully after the summer I'll get the ball rolling on it :)
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

ashley wrote:Not a trick question- but why, what's wrong with your current shell?

Oh- and I reckon you need a bigger TB on your engine mate :wink:

I don't mind the sunroof in mine but i want to cage the car and strip it out so it makes sense. Plus with this being a good base it's ideal for what I have in mind. I'm wanting to widen it so with it being a bare shell it's easier to work on and prepare. I only need to put back in what I want in the car if you get me?

A bigger TB? Throttle body? What makes you say that bud?
Last edited by GeorgeL on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Got it- makes sense, you should get the shell dipped first- get ALL the seam sealer out of it: hardcore lightweight :twisted:

Ignore the TB comment, was aimed at Craigrobbo #-o
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

EDIT: Silly chat lol
Last edited by GeorgeL on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Wtf?? :cry:
No 2 :(
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

GeorgeL wrote:Possibly going to be a big change of plans afterall and the car may be going up for sale within the next week or so....

:neutral:

Whats changed mate?

You've got yourself a very sorted and tidy mr2 :shock:

If your buying a house etc, you'll regret selling it. Mothball her inside your Dads garage (its big and dry enough lol), then re-evaluate your situation later on dude

:-k
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

GeorgeL wrote:Possibly going to be a big change of plans afterall and the car may be going up for sale within the next week or so....

:neutral:

:shocked:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Any updates Mr L? :thumleft:
No 2 :(
synXero

Post by synXero »

Saw your FB video, looks absolutely blisteringly quick. Too quick!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah- saw the video too...wow :mrgreen:

Why did it need mapping again so soon?
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Updates:

Rich It's going nowhere haha... My moment of madness passed when I almost sold the car/swapped it for something else. When it came
Down to it I couldn't bring myself to do it in the end... That's when I realised I should get finishing what I've started.

Ashley it didn't really need it tbh.. I'm just a bit of a pernickety Buggar at times and it wasn't quite where I wanted it...
Don't get me wrong, It was very fast last time it got mapped but after looking at the figures on the laptop Simon and I could see that there was a good bit more in it. So last weekend I dropped the car off to Simon so he could take it down to Adrian at Fensport and both of them work together on it.

Simon and Adrian spent Thursday tweaking the cam timing to find the absolute optimum point and then adjusted the map accordingly. Doing this on the road is quite a slow process as it means:

Adjust
Try
Adjust
Try
Ooooops gone too far
Go back again
Try
Perfect

In the real world every engine as you know is different. My cams Had been base set to the hks settings which turned out in my case to be good but not perfect so that's the main reason it was away. The ignition gains made are massive on it, so it has been a well worthwhile effort. I have better ignition figures now on V power than I did previously on race fuel :)

Also, Before it went down, I had been having boost issues and wasn't able to get up to 2-2.1bar and was only managing 1.6ish...that turned out to be the boost control valve I had in place causing the problem. It just wasn't coping. It had done last year so I'm guessing it just gave up on life this year haha. So that was changed out for a different style whilst it was down there.

Unfortunately I have now maxed out the 1200cc injectors and fuel system.... So for next summer when building into the tin top shell I'll be putting in an large external fuel pump system and swirl pot. I'm going to draw Up a fuel-rail pretty soon and look at getting it made to suit what I'll need.

Haha yeah Calum it definitely looks like it has turned up another level from being away this week. I'm gutted I won't be trying it until next week or maybe if I'm lucky I'll go get it on my birthday (Friday) .. A little present to myself haha!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm glad you've decided to keep it. It's a hell of a lot of work and cost down so far to trade up for something else. Although I know of two people who would have been interested in it if it was up for sale.. :wink:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Magic Beans wrote:I'm glad you've decided to keep it. It's a hell of a lot of work and cost down so far to trade up for something else. Although I know of two people who would have been interested in it if it was up for sale.. :wink:

Yeah I think ive made the right decision Phil. I had kind of "fallen" out with the car and had thrown the toys out the pram haha!

Really? Thats interesting... ill be sure to let you know if anything changes but im just looking forward to getting some time in it this weekend coming :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That's understandable, given you've spent some much of the time you've had it bankrolling and working on it and not getting seat time. I was exactly the same with the white one.

Drive it, enjoy it, find any flaws you think it might have, work out if they can be overcome and then if it doesn't fit in with your long-term goals you will at least have a good understanding of what will.

First things first though, drive it :) And take videos... :wink:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

You know it Phil... I need plenty of seat time in it and I think that's the biggest issue. However, I did get a chance to try it out yesterday as I was passing YVS on my way home from further down south.

I'm glad I'm keeping it :)

I know where I need to go next with it... More fuel and bigger turbo 👍 lol
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Haha, you're mad. However, I would be interested to see the results, so go ahead O:)

TOTB this weekend? We might come along.

Return to “Member Profiles”