The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by craig »

Why imagine when you can make it so. :mrgreen:

Well apart from the torrential events of that day. :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Not sure I could squeeze even a pair of clean underpants in this thing, as there's no storage of any kind 8-[
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

slipping clutch wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:Caterham 7 replica?

Straight on the money :thumleft:

It's a Westfield SEI, which was built for racing and apparently still (or did up until recently) holds a couple of sprint records. It runs a heavily tuned 2l Fiat Twin Cam engine by Newark engines, Competition Vernier cams, Yamaha R1 carbs (correctly jetted, apparently) producing around 200bhp. Fiat five speed gearbox with great ratios, oil cooler, high ratio 2.4 rack, independent rear suspension, front wide track kit, anti roll bars front and rear, LSD, Federal RSR track day tyres, stainless steel bespoke headers and system, cable and hydraulic handbrake. Plumbed fire extinguisher, Digi Dash, msa isolator switch, push button start etc.

The drive back last night was awesome! Compete sensory overload, what with the wind, noise, exposure to everything around, small things hitting you (some painful! :lol: ) etc. I'd liken the sensation to seeing something in real life as opposed to watching it on it. You're right out there with the smells, temperature changes etc.

These things are so pointy to drive and the grip is insane! That old Fiat engine makes a great noise, a little like an old aeroplane, bags of torque too. Very much looking forward to getting it on a track, as that's the main reason I bought it.

Will it be the forever car? Probably not, as I'll eventually miss the brute power of a big power blown engine. When that happens I'll be on the prowl for Mule 4 :wink: Until then though it's all about Mule 3 :)

I'll get some good photos etc later when I get home. :thumleft:

here comes team Hatton !!!! Stephen or Bob will have a turbo on that in a jiffy Phil :D

We are turbocharging one with a ford engine over the winter.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ben

Post by Ben »

Magic Beans wrote:Not sure I could squeeze even a pair of clean underpants in this thing, as there's no storage of any kind 8-[

2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

bobhatton wrote:
slipping clutch wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:

Straight on the money :thumleft:

It's a Westfield SEI, which was built for racing and apparently still (or did up until recently) holds a couple of sprint records. It runs a heavily tuned 2l Fiat Twin Cam engine by Newark engines, Competition Vernier cams, Yamaha R1 carbs (correctly jetted, apparently) producing around 200bhp. Fiat five speed gearbox with great ratios, oil cooler, high ratio 2.4 rack, independent rear suspension, front wide track kit, anti roll bars front and rear, LSD, Federal RSR track day tyres, stainless steel bespoke headers and system, cable and hydraulic handbrake. Plumbed fire extinguisher, Digi Dash, msa isolator switch, push button start etc.

The drive back last night was awesome! Compete sensory overload, what with the wind, noise, exposure to everything around, small things hitting you (some painful! :lol: ) etc. I'd liken the sensation to seeing something in real life as opposed to watching it on it. You're right out there with the smells, temperature changes etc.

These things are so pointy to drive and the grip is insane! That old Fiat engine makes a great noise, a little like an old aeroplane, bags of torque too. Very much looking forward to getting it on a track, as that's the main reason I bought it.

Will it be the forever car? Probably not, as I'll eventually miss the brute power of a big power blown engine. When that happens I'll be on the prowl for Mule 4 :wink: Until then though it's all about Mule 3 :)

I'll get some good photos etc later when I get home. :thumleft:

here comes team Hatton !!!! Stephen or Bob will have a turbo on that in a jiffy Phil :D

Out of interest, what would be involved in this?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ben wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Not sure I could squeeze even a pair of clean underpants in this thing, as there's no storage of any kind 8-[

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dpU4_IdQBGg/U ... phobia.png

:lol:

There's no chance of that now I've adjusted the harness. It's so tight even a single pair of underpants is a luxury :eye:
craig

Post by craig »

Ben wrote:

Result! :lol:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Magic Beans wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
slipping clutch wrote:

I knew it :thumleft: Magic beans seduced by power again !
Lucky break there though Phil - looks like Bob and Stephen will have done all the work so will know the pitfalls.
You Know I could have my arm twisted into removing my td06 :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I was only asking out of curiosity :whistle:

Took a friend out in it tonight, as a quick blast around the local country roads. It's such a fun little toy! It's not the fastest car in the world, as proven by a disgruntled AMG Merc which didn't take kindly to me rinsing him over a coupe of roundabouts (what did he expect in his massive heavy bus?! :-s :lol: ), who then proceeded to blast off into the distance at somewhere around 140mph (maybe he'd sat awkwardly on his ingrowing man sausage :-k :clown: ).

I now fully understand what people are talking about when they talk about these cars on corners, they just grip! We went around a quite little roundabout while we were out, which was so good we went around 4 times, at increasing speeds. I ran out of brave pills before it ran out of grip (not pushing my luck yet) :whistle:

Need track time real soon! Might organise an IMOC track day, if anyone's up for it? :thumleft:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

sounds good :)
its always good when a cars limits are further ahead than the drivers :)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Magic Beans wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
slipping clutch wrote:

Low comp pistons
new inlet and exhaust manifolds
Turbo
intercooler in front of rad
ECU and fuel injection system.

You can get a Ford turbo engines all ready to go out of one of their saloon cars,
Last edited by bobhatton on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Magic Beans wrote:

Need track time real soon! Might organise an IMOC track day, if anyone's up for it? :thumleft:

Date dependant I'm in :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

bobhatton wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

Low comp pistons
new inlet and exhaust manifolds
Turbo
intercooler in front of rad
ECU and fuel injection system.

You can get a Ford turbo engines all ready to go out of one of their saloon cars,

A new engine type affair really then, as opposed to converting this one. To be honest I don't think it would suit this car, it's just not that kind of car. If I do decide I need boost I'll look for something else, however in the meantime I'll just enjoy no.3 :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

vinp182 wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:

Date dependant I'm in :thumleft:

Noted :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Strap a GT35 to it :p .. Only kidding mate. To be honest I reckon a turbo on this would ruin its all round power range so I'm with you on leaving as is..
As soon as ford was Mentioned all I could think about was a YB conversion but I reckon it would be too much for it. Well after a 3bar map sensor, green injectors and an Ahmed Bayjoo chip it would be :) 350ish @1.9ish bar... Bulletproof yet reasonably cheap ponies..

Just reading though 165 atwhp in that must be rapid. How does it accelerate compared to the old Mule?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Apparently these things stop being able to put the power down properly at around 300bhp, which would feel fully sketchy when you realise how exposed you are 8-[

Did the first standing launch in it tonight, with the good lady in the car. Felt really good and somewhere around the 4 second 0-60 mark, with no loss of traction. That's faster than the last Mule as unless the tyres were ultra warm and traction was good you'd struggle to put all the power down. A trip to the Pod would be interesting :-k

Currently need to investigate a high oil pressure reading. Hopefully just a dodgy sender etc, as the oil temp seems to have stopped sending too :-k One for tomorrow evening.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Yeah I could imagine any more than that would become a bit of an issue. Especially since its so light and the only weight over the back wheels is the dude driving really.
NICE! I thought that may be the case which is why I asked.. Given the fact you are so exposed aswell must make it quite a buzz. Mmmm... Honestly first time I'm anywhere near I'm definitely calling shotgun for a blast :)

Yeah it would be interesting to see what it would run at Santa Pod. You guys are so lucky it's not too much of a drive to it also.

Well fingers crossed for you on that front that its something as simple as that... I take it you are starting to find your way around it now :p
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

let us know when you go to the pod.. ill have to come up too
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GeorgeL wrote:Yeah I could imagine any more than that would become a bit of an issue. Especially since its so light and the only weight over the back wheels is the dude driving really.
NICE! I thought that may be the case which is why I asked.. Given the fact you are so exposed aswell must make it quite a buzz. Mmmm... Honestly first time I'm anywhere near I'm definitely calling shotgun for a blast :)

Yeah it would be interesting to see what it would run at Santa Pod. You guys are so lucky it's not too much of a drive to it also.

Well fingers crossed for you on that front that its something as simple as that... I take it you are starting to find your way around it now :p

Your seat is reserved, just give me the nod :thumleft:

pistol pete wrote:let us know when you go to the pod.. ill have to come up too

Good man :thumleft:

Track day too sir? :whistle:

On another note - I think the oil pressure issues are due to a non-standard sensor being used, for temps too. I took a look and the sandwich plate used to service the oil cooler has the sensors in and they don't match those listed by ETB Instruments and apparently only theirs will work accurately. I need to order speed and fuel sensors/senders anyway so will order all four.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

heres a motor I came across that I thought may be suitable for your new ride Phil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EaCnDCsslM

Return to “Member Profiles”