[Mk2] [Turbo] New mods - A work in progress (Picture Heavy!)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Moo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] New mods - A work in progress (Picture Heavy!)

Post by Moo »

A.BLAKE wrote:Nooooo.. my skills just about stretch to cosmetic.. No that will have to be done professionally in other words not by me..

Cool but a word from the wise. Wire tucks are labour intensive and time consuming so make sure whoever does the work for you is geared up for it :thumleft:

jimGTS wrote:for sure i do miss it, but got my hands on one of these now, great machine, picked up it the weekend! been a long old wait for it.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Completely failed to spot that thread! Great car Jim, you got yourself a real minter there :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Rear lights have undergone the wolfie308 treatment. Great mod :clap: I think the clear lenses really freshen up the look. Was torn between the clear or red triangles but already had a set of red ones so stuck with them.

This was a great service from Richard. He supplies the lenses and concise fitting intructions but will also fit them if required if you're like me and don't fancy putting your lights in the oven to get the old lenses out :lol: He did a great job and also polished up the rest of the lights as part of the service. Nice one :thumleft:

Before..

After..

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Me likely the lights!
craig

Post by craig »

Nice mate, how much did the lights set ya back? :-k :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

£90 for the lenses, £50 to fit them.
mr2era

Post by mr2era »

WOW!! Its gonna be a hell of an MR2 when is all done :mrgreen:

Where do I find Mr Wolfie? I want to do the same with my rears!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

mr2era wrote:Where do I find Mr Wolfie? I want to do the same with my rears!

Not on here because he refuses to pay our affiliate fees in order to be allowed to trade.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Those lights look excellent and a wise choice to pay for them to be fitted, I really struggled with mine! I bet they look good with the colour of your car too.

I noticed with mine and yours look the same that the tint used on the clear lenses doesn't match the tint for the rest of the light. It's more of a satin finish and mine was very orange peely. I bought a tint spray off ebay, flatted it back and resprayed it along with the rest of the black borders on the light which after 10+ years had faded quite noticeably. I then wet sanded it with very fine wet and dry and polished them up like new. They now look much better and more oem which is the look I was after.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Really inspirational build man.. Itching to go crazy with mine as i have so many ideas but i have to park it on the street in London which is no place for show cars.. Assume this will tucked away??

Absolutely love the engine bay... I might even have to copy this for mine.. Looks almost stock. But super car stock.. I would have "powered by HKS" or something engraved into the CC :mrgreen:
Moo

Post by Moo »

jack-p wrote:Those lights look excellent and a wise choice to pay for them to be fitted, I really struggled with mine! I bet they look good with the colour of your car too.

I noticed with mine and yours look the same that the tint used on the clear lenses doesn't match the tint for the rest of the light. It's more of a satin finish and mine was very orange peely. I bought a tint spray off ebay, flatted it back and resprayed it along with the rest of the black borders on the light which after 10+ years had faded quite noticeably. I then wet sanded it with very fine wet and dry and polished them up like new. They now look much better and more oem which is the look I was after.

Cheers :thumleft: The lights look way better, really brings them up to date. There was no way I was going to risk putting my lights in the oven :lol: I haven't actually seen them in the flesh yet, they've been sent directly to Rogue, so can't comment on the finish of the tint. Will take a look when I'm next there. Cheers for the heads up though :thumleft:

A.BLAKE wrote:Really inspirational build man.. Itching to go crazy with mine as i have so many ideas but i have to park it on the street in London which is no place for show cars.. Assume this will tucked away??

Absolutely love the engine bay... I might even have to copy this for mine.. Looks almost stock. But super car stock.. I would have "powered by HKS" or something engraved into the CC :mrgreen:

Thanks very much :thumleft:

Yes, mine lives in a garage under a car cover and only comes out to play on a nice day :wink:

As far as the wire tuck and engine bay bling up goes it looks very impressive and is a little bit different from the normal look. If that's what you're after then go for it however if you're parking it on the street you might want to look into getting a lock up or investing in a car cover unless you like spending a lot of time cleaning and polishing :wink:

Just bear in mind that if you're paying somebody else to do the job it will be expensive as it's a labour and time intensive job. To the level that I've gone anyway. Think carefully about who you take the car to as the simple fact is that one man garages will not have the time to devote to a job of this scale, no matter what promises they might make, and you'll end being without your car for a long, long time.

There will be something on the CC :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Moo wrote:
There will be something on the CC :wink:

Is it one of the following?:
A boxing cat
An IMOC logo
A photo of Henry Winkler (aka The Fonz)
A photo of you in a vest, sporting the finest Texas tan
Lots of polish

:mrgreen:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Magic Beans wrote:A boxing cat

Not a bad idea but no.

Magic Beans wrote:An IMOC logo

If IMOC want to sponsor me then yes :lol:

Magic Beans wrote:A photo of Henry Winkler (aka The Fonz)

:-k

Magic Beans wrote:A photo of you in a vest, sporting the finest Texas tan

If it's a string vest and I get to wear a knotted handkerchief on my head then possibly :lol:

Magic Beans wrote:Lots of polish

Definitely this!

All will be revealed in the not too distant future :wink:
Moo

Post by Moo »

All bits are now with the metal polisher, including a new lightweight heatshield that was made. Pretty much the same design as the old one but weighs a lot less. Fixing points have been re-designed so no securing bolts will be visible from the engine bay side.

As the engine has to be out before fitting the heatshield we're waiting for these parts back from the polisher before proceeding with the engine bay final fit. Eta for the polishing to be completed is around 2 weeks.

In the meantime as many of the small jobs as possible will be knocked off the list, things like dynamatting the interior, wiring in the engine lid fan kit, wiring a switch into the electric aerial, the big three wiring mod, carpeting the boot etc.

Picked up the drivers seat and glovebox on Saturday. Had the ripped leather on the bolster replaced and the flaky paint on the glovebox sorted 8)

Just heard back from Rimtec, wheels have been refurbed and are ready to be sent back 8)

Counting down the days now and praying for an indian summer! :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Can't wait to see this finished! 8)
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Surely going to be one of the nicest 2`s on the road after all this lot!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:Can't wait to see this finished! 8)

+1

It's like my dream, with so much to polish up :lol:
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

+2
I really like this car and theres some seriously cool mods going on, most of which are custom and unique... I'd hate to think what this is costing you though :pale:
This is also the ONLY decent veilside mr2 which is quite an accomplishment in istself! :clap:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Cheers guys :thumleft: Eagerly awaiting completion myself. It's likely the engine bay will be totally completed before the rest of the car is ready so have a bit of a choice here. Can upload pics of just the finished engine bay or wait until the car is properly finished and mapped before revealing the finished article in its entirety. Hmm, tough choice :lol:

D4N_V_U wrote:Surely going to be one of the nicest 2`s on the road after all this lot!

I certainly hope so the money that's been poured into it!

Magic Beans wrote:It's like my dream, with so much to polish up :lol:

Could very quickly become my nightmare with the amount of stuff that needs to be kept clean! Washing the car is going to require some forward planning to stop the water getting in the bay :lol:

jack-p wrote:I really like this car and theres some seriously cool mods going on, most of which are custom and unique... I'd hate to think what this is costing you though :pale:
This is also the ONLY decent veilside mr2 which is quite an accomplishment in istself! :clap:

Wow, thanks for the compliment :D I'm sure Dan might disagree about mine being the only decent VS MR2 though! :wink:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Polishing complete :D

The pictures don't do it full justice by a long shot. Indoors at night with the flash shows up loads of marks you don't see in normal light but outside in the daylight they look spot on. Hats off and a big thanks to Peter Hall who did all the hard work :clap:

Everything goes back to Rogue tomorrow ready for the engine bay final fit 8)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Welcome to your future polishing hell :mrgreen:

Seriously though, he's done a great job. :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”