The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Moo

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Moo »

What you using to make the permanent liners?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm thinking of 1mm ali sheeting, to match the undertray. Obviously it doesn't need to be as thick structurally and more importantly I need to be able to bend it :lol:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Sounds like a good choice. Leaving it as is or painting it black?
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Love this, awesome job mate :thumleft:
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Moo wrote:Sounds like a good choice. Leaving it as is or painting it black?

Not sure yet. I think I'll fit it, see what it looks like, then paint if it doesn't look right :-k
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

HughesR1 wrote:Love this, awesome job mate :thumleft:

I'm having to resist looking at your Elise photos too much, as it's been on my list of potential purchases for some time. :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Just a wee update on things which have been done and what's planned for the near future..

The ali sheeting for the arch liners should be delivered tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get at least the two front pieces made and mounted before departure for Le Mans on Friday. Should be interesting to see what difference they make :-k

Also on an aero note - I've been doing some research into the potential benefits of modifying airflow inside the front bumper. Primarily what improvements are there to be had by internally blocking the two side vents and also fitting a shroud inside the main vent, to channel air directly (and only) through the rads. From what I've been told by different sources the two side vents offer no benefit areo wise, in fact they are detrimental to performance. The air which currently passes through them goes straight towards the arches and my other efforts are trying to prevent airflow around there, so it's cancelling out the other tweaks. The simple solution is to fabricate two covers out of black plastic and to bond them on over the openings. The final design is yet to come as I'm still researching the pros and cons. If it all works in theory it should clean up airflow around the front of the car significantly and ultimately reduce lift and drag. I could however be way off and it won't work at all :-k :lol: It's all interesting stuff nonetheless.

:)
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

defo worth making the end plates to channel the air, the stock bumper and indeed most modern cars have that very type of thing. as for the side pods is there no way to make ducts to direct the air to the front brakes? or even round to the rad?
DanT

Post by DanT »

that interior looks amazing! i was happy with mine until i saw that last pic lol
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

dawesy wrote:defo worth making the end plates to channel the air, the stock bumper and indeed most modern cars have that very type of thing. as for the side pods is there no way to make ducts to direct the air to the front brakes? or even round to the rad?

Ducting them to feed the rads would be a better idea I reckon. Loads more work but when have these things ever been easy :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

DanT wrote:that interior looks amazing! i was happy with mine until i saw that last pic lol

I won't mention that it's also pearl white, to match the paintwork then :whistle: :mrgreen:

Yours look great and the new double DIN head unit gives a much more modern look :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

No more cutting ya hand on ally before we go though

Good work keep it up will be great to hear the differences it all makes

Nice to see someone spending time doing this rather than just power all the time
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

dawesy wrote:defo worth making the end plates to channel the air, the stock bumper and indeed most modern cars have that very type of thing. as for the side pods is there no way to make ducts to direct the air to the front brakes? or even round to the rad?

First thing to establish is whether it's necessary. I'd say unless you're racing or extended tracking, it's not.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:No more cutting ya hand on ally before we go though

Good work keep it up will be great to hear the differences it all makes

Nice to see someone spending time doing this rather than just power all the time

There's plenty of power, so the most important thing now is being able to use it. I've yet to so some of these things done on an MR2, so it's interesting to experiment :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

First thing to establish is whether it's necessary. I'd say unless you're racing or extended tracking, it's not.

Brakes or rad flow ducting?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Magic Beans wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

Brakes or rad flow ducting?

Both. Rad certainly gets enough air. And never had a road customer had any issues with brake cooling.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Brake ducting would be OTT for my needs. I guess CC rad wise it's the temps of the air passing over it which matter and not the shear :-k

What's your thoughts on blocking the side vents and building the centre shroud?
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Want me to make you a pair of these Phil? might want to change your mind about brake ducts Image
Only problem is it will probably take me another 2 years to make the next pair #-o
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Good skills Martin :thumleft:

Sounds like you got some plans for that car then.. :whistle:

I've been doing quite a few bits over the past few days, however the battery pack in my camera has failed so no photos.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've just realised yesterday was exactly one year since this happened :pale:

It seems like so long ago, considering how things stand now :shock:

Return to “Member Profiles”