The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:All ready...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6rEz ... AG0773.jpg[/url]
Thank you sir :thumleft:

Yeah, sure it is :whistle:

The font size isn't much smaller than it should be, so I'm not overly worried.

Far better than the current solution..
riot68

Post by riot68 »

All I can say is that they have been made to Mr Beans exact specification...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Yes indeed :)

Possibly a controversial choice mind :eye:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

they will look much better
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Is it allowed in UK to make your own numbers? I mean to add a nick name like here or something similar.
ashley

Post by ashley »

No :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I will replace the front plate if it does cause any issues.
ashley

Post by ashley »

In fairness I've been driving with a show plate on the front of mine since I've had it and never had any issues, I only changed it cos my local MOT station tightened up on it recently :eye:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

My mentality is if you don't drive like an idiot you won't have any issues. I'll have a fully MOT compliant plate should it be needed.

It's not a daily driver too :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

exactly that

drive like and idiot so they find a reason to pull you then rip the car to pieces finding everything they car..
respect them and they will respect you and all that
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've been doing a spot of reading, as I tend to do first thing in the morning. Well, the full picture is I'm pretty much a mute until around 8:30am, according to Adrienne, as I just sit reading stuff on the internet and grunting :lol:

Anyway... I digress :oops:

I've always know that the block is bored, in order to accept 87mm pistons. Which has always lingered in my mind due to the horror stories about cracked blocks etc. One of the mods this engine was described as having done before I bought it was "HKS Racing shells". Until now I've never known what that actually means :lol: however now I'm wondering if that means the block have been sleeved? :-k Or if it's something completely different and just poorly worded?
ashley

Post by ashley »

I would have guessed it meant big end and main bearing "shells", but then I've never heard of HKS making or branding engine bearings. I would expect cylinder sleeves to be described as liners or sleeves, but you never can tell :lol:

Plus- if you sleeved a 3S block you'd geenrally end up with 86mm pistons, to run 87mm and pistons you would be taking a LOT of material out of the block (you have to take too much out to put in 86mm sleeves as it is).
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Magic Beans wrote:I've been doing a spot of reading, as I tend to do first thing in the morning. Well, the full picture is I'm pretty much a mute until around 8:30am, according to Adrienne, as I just sit reading stuff on the internet and grunting :lol:

Anyway... I digress :oops:

I've always know that the block is bored, in order to accept 87mm pistons. Which has always lingered in my mind due to the horror stories about cracked blocks etc. One of the mods this engine was described as having done before I bought it was "HKS Racing shells". Until now I've never known what that actually means :lol: however now I'm wondering if that means the block have been sleeved? :-k Or if it's something completely different and just poorly worded?

Shells are another name for bearings, main and big end bearing must be made by HKS then.

Cracked blocks come from retarded timing. The burning of the fuel and therefore maximum pressure should take place in the cylinder head. When engines are built with too high compression ratio for the fuel and boost being run, like every engine I see on any forum, the tuner retards the timing to stop detonation. This results in the maximum pressure being when the pistons are around 34deg atdc down the bore. The blocks are not design for this and do not have the strength at that place in the bore so they crack.
The timing advance of an engine comes from the head design and on the 3SGTE should be around 38 deg at 6500 rpm or so. If an engine is detonating with this advance then the boost should be lowered, higher octane fuel used or compression lowered. Timing should not be retarded, it is the wrong thing to do but that is all most tuners know to do.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thanks for the explanations :thumleft:

I guess bearings it must be then. Never removed the head or sump so couldn't say for sure what's actually in there.

The fact it's bored does play on my mind, however it's been mapped twice, run at Santa Pod and god knows what else before I owned it and it's still in one piece. Hopefully so long as I look after it things will stay solid. It's got a good map on it too, without pushing mega boost and meddling with the timing too much. Ryan's brief was 400bhp with plenty of head room, so nice and safe. That's what he gave me :thumleft:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

If its any help Phil mines bored and stroked to 2.2 (87mm bore) and seems fine. It's had a bit more boost than yours as well.
I really do think that keeping det away is the biggest help toward preventing a cracked block.
I've cracked 2 and one of them was grouted ( bottom portion of the block filled with a special compound to stiffen it up)
At least if it goes you have the right pistons to go in 5S block :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thanks Lee :)

If I were to go for more power in the future (you never know :whistle: ) I think a 5S based build and swap would be the way I'd go. Although more likely I've forgotten what 400 feels like and after a hard run I'll be back to shaky leg and realising it's just madness :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It looks like fate has decided the form of the plates I'll be using, as while James (riot68) was kind enough to arrange to have some made for me there was no accounting for acts of dumb (on my part), in the form of ordering the wrong sized plates (ordered 12", needed 13") #-o :lol: No big drama though as I've ordered another set from the place I got the Mule v1 plates made. Hopefully I'll have them in the next few days.

In the meantime I took a few minutes to prepare for the fitment, using a little something I made for Mule v1..

Old tatty plate in place. Note the ugly screw holes.

I'd previously made this up and mounted this on the old car. It basically mounts using the stock holes and allows the new plate to be attached using adhesive pads, removing the need for scruffy holes. The holes are countersunk so allow a flush fit.

The threads the screws attach to had seen better days, so I took the opportunity to drill them out and replace them with fresh plugs

Job done. Just needs the plate attaching now :)

The front bumper is coming off this week, so I'll mount the plate holder for that while it's off.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

good work, like the plate holder :thumleft:
really must get some new plates for mine as they are looking tatty :(
you must be the most experienced member for front bumper removal \:D/ , i hate taking mine off :(
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work Mr beans. :thumleft:

Mine currently has screw mounted plates front and back, but on the current project, they'll be stuck on. Loads cleaner.

I've taken my bumper off and put it back on a few times. More annoying that tinting T bar glass.... :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

dawesy wrote:good work, like the plate holder :thumleft:
really must get some new plates for mine as they are looking tatty :(
you must be the most experienced member for front bumper removal \:D/ , i hate taking mine off :(

Haha, I've definitely had more experience of removing them than many :lol: Got it down to about an hour to remove it, including the wide-arches, lights etc. Having removed it recently makes it easier now, as I replaced all the bolts and fixings last time around. The first time on the old car was just one big sheared off head fest 8-[ Having the quads makes things easier because they can be removed in a couple of minutes :thumleft:

Speaking of which... :whistle:

Return to “Member Profiles”