The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Thanks for the feedback :)

A smaller plate in an import holder would look good, however I ideally want to have something which doesn't run the risk of getting me pulled. Something off centre or covering the side vents was considered. The aesthetics would bother me eventually though and I'd like to keep the pods free, to ensure airflow is even on both sides.

It looks like we're down to choosing between these two really:

The first looks like an overly groomed moustache and the second reminds me of rat teeth :lol: Needs must I guess.

If only there were a way of incorporating something which helped channel air into the rads etc :-k Probably over-analysing the whole thing though, as always :-$
Ben

Post by Ben »

Second one looks better to me :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

personally i like the UK plate (esp if you can get one thats slightly thinner as im sure the rgs relate to the letter size as opposed to plate size)
looks cleaner some how, and after seeing it in the flesh today thats one clean car. looks awesome with good attention to detail 8)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Won't you need a plate with the GB strip on the side anyway? I can't imagine you want one of those cheap GB stickers on the back of the car :wink:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
ashley

Post by ashley »

At the moment I have the second of your options, I did have an "illegal" size plate before (so all on one line, but Japanese width). I'm seriously contemplating a private plate to keep the width of the plate JDM, but without needing two rows of letters...I just can't bring myself to pay for it :lol:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Not been here for a while, glad the MOT was good, need to hook up soon...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

dawesy wrote:personally i like the UK plate (esp if you can get one thats slightly thinner as im sure the rgs relate to the letter size as opposed to plate size)
looks cleaner some how, and after seeing it in the flesh today thats one clean car. looks awesome with good attention to detail 8)

Was good to meet you yesterday :) Thanks for dropping the tap and die of, much appreciated.

You should get some photos of the car up at some point, as it's quite an epic build :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

benedwards64 wrote:Won't you need a plate with the GB strip on the side anyway? I can't imagine you want one of those cheap GB stickers on the back of the car :wink:

Haha, I've actually been thinking about that. :oops:

I'm going to go with a sticker, as I'm not keen on having "GB" on the plate full-time, so can remove the sticker when we're back. :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashley wrote:At the moment I have the second of your options, I did have an "illegal" size plate before (so all on one line, but Japanese width). I'm seriously contemplating a private plate to keep the width of the plate JDM, but without needing two rows of letters...I just can't bring myself to pay for it :lol:

You're looking £1500 as a starting point for plates like that (I also looked into it :whistle: ), assuming you find one you want. It's a big investment to save a couple of inches of plastic.

I'm still torn as to which option to choose :-k
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Prefer the look of the uk plate out of the 2
Or a stick on one??? Would mean no air flow problem would prob suit your car too
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:Not been here for a while, glad the MOT was good, need to hook up soon...

Ever the elusive one :wink:

Give me a shout about these weekends you mentioned :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:Prefer the look of the uk plate out of the 2
Or a stick on one??? Would mean no air flow problem would prob suit your car too

That's one option but it would have to go on the bottom of the scope part of the bumper (like Fimmo's cars), which I'd imagine is a big no no regs wise. It wouldn't be vertical (or as near as) but would look better.

I wonder what the smallest sized UK plate I could legally have on it :-k
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

sparki wrote:I've currently got a single line plate that fits inside the Jap import holder.

Its in the stock location.

Its not quite 100% legal but its perfectly easy to read at a distance.

I think this idea :thumleft:

Other than that I think UK plate up top :)
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

i saw some plates that were sculptured around the text. as the size and spacing of the text were legal there was no problems with MOT or the old bill.
cant find a pic of one but i cant see why you couldnt trim it right down to the edges of the txt
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

my plate size not sure its legal but never been told off

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

The small might could work for me I guess. :-k

Pete - What size is your plate? Would it fit in an import holder?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

dawesy wrote:i saw some plates that were sculptured around the text. as the size and spacing of the text were legal there was no problems with MOT or the old bill.
cant find a pic of one but i cant see why you couldnt trim it right down to the edges of the txt

I think madbasshunter on here has done his like that. It would work well if mounted on one of the flat surfaces like that, as the white of the paint would fill the blanks.
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Stolen pic from this project thread by Chris http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

vinp182 wrote:Stolen pic from this project thread by Chris http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r190 ... 7010eb.jpg

I like that, thanks :thumleft:

Need to do a spot of reading on how illegal that would be. Although I could get an import plate made up too :-k
riot68

Post by riot68 »

my plate technically illegal as letters smaller than they need to be but passes MOT and no issue with the bizzies, I think if you don't go too small and you stick with the standard typeface etc so it doesn't look dodgy you should be ok. Give me a shout if you need some making up, have a signwriter friend who will do them however you like...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com

Return to “Member Profiles”