V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Icsunonove

Re: V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

Post by Icsunonove »

Looks great, well done Paul! :D

What't the ETA of getting it finished and on the road?
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Paul I know strength is an issue for you due to the amount of cutting you've done but be careful not to add too much weight! You dont want to end up under powered now do you. :mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks tom, i want to have the whole car finished by next summer, that is a realistic timescale considering how little time per week i get to work on it, but the engine will be running in the next few months easily.

Not too bothered about the weight of this car, if it ends up the same weight as a mk2 but v8 equipped and all of the strengtheners/rollcage added i would consider that a result.It would be nice to keep it under 1200kg though.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ok a little update, my new rear subframe is now complete, it is now a one piece design like a mk2 subframe that ties the chassis rails together....

There are quite a few plates and trusses added to this...

On the cars original crossmember i added mounting points for the new frame.

And here is the new subframe painted with temporary rustproofing (i will get all of these components shot blasted and properly painted on final assembly)

This is stronger than before i reckon....

I also added some support trusses to the transmission cradle...

Also i have heard my ECU and engine harness are ready and should be with me shortly so although i don't get much time to work on this it is progressing along.
coanda

Post by coanda »

lookin' good paul - those are some hefty bits of metal - you shouldn't have any problems with those!
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

aw11rally wrote:Paul I know strength is an issue for you due to the amount of cutting you've done but be careful not to add too much weight! You dont want to end up under powered now do you. :mrgreen:

Just for the record: I was taking the mick!

Great project, much respect.

And who needs an engineering degree, I thoroughly approve of your approach, either over engineer or fix it when it breaks.

Hope to see a video or two when she is finished.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Quick update, here is yesterdays work on the exhaust.I have used a TVR T350 silencer as the primary box.I chopped the audi manifold flanges off and welded my own 3 bolt flanges on instead...

Then fed both banks into the TVR box...

The TVR box is mounted ridgidly to the transmission by brackets and will move with the engine, so no need for flexi sections until further downstream.From the TVR box i am going down through the floor where i will make up a left and right system with the final silencers on each side...

The boot wall will be rebuilt around the exhaust to give me some storage space back and the whole thing will be very heavily heat protected where i can...... how will this sound? I am not far off finding out! :)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

WOW :shock:

This is gonna be the Daddy of all mk1's :mrgreen:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

thats gonna be ermmm loud :eye:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Amazing stuff Paul! :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks for your support folks, when it is all done it could be a horrible car to drive but it's more an excercise in proving it can be done rather than creating a good car.... but you never know it might just end up being quite refined, but i doubt it :D
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Just sat here for over 20 mins reading all this.

This is amazing Paul.
I still remember when you viewed (as you were the judge) my Sherwood Toning mk1 at a very cold/wet and windy JAE a few years back and said you liked it. It makes me want to get another one now....with a V8 conversion of course. :lol:

I can imagine the torque steer could be of concern :-k ...mind you...as you say...it's something that will just progress with time and trials.
Simply amazing.

I think I'll join the queue for people who'd like a ride out in it....surely you must be able to squeeze in a passenger seat? :thumleft:

I'm looking forward to the replies on this thread. 8)

Steve
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi there steve, yeah i remember that sherwood well! Lovely car that was, hope it is still going strong whoever has it.

Don't worry there is plenty of room for a passenger seat although it will take a brave man to sit beside me in a V8 mk1 :D
System-G

Post by System-G »

stevenb wrote:I can imagine the torque steer could be of concern :-

Torque-steer only hapens with FWD cars :wink:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Paul, do the exhaust pipes cross over/link in the back box? From my reading I believe it's a necessary feature to get the best out of the exhaust tuning. :-k

Looking fantastic. :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

LOL although if the front wheels lift off it could have bags of "no steer" :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Paul, do the exhaust pipes cross over/link in the back box? From my reading I believe it's a necessary feature to get the best out of the exhaust tuning.

I have tried to examine the TVR silencer and it seems it is just a big hollow can.... i may well have installed an amplifier instead of a silencer :D , you got to laugh!
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

System-G wrote:
stevenb wrote:I can imagine the torque steer could be of concern :-

Torque-steer only hapens with FWD cars :wink:

Good point Garrick.
I should have said more along the lines of will the engine pull the body apart but hopefully Paul's expertise will have addressed all that....
:lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

As long as it doesn't pull MY body apart i'll settle for that :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well my VEMS ECU and modified V8 engine harness came back from Hilly today, i have to say i am blown away by the quality of this guys work, and i haven't even plugged it in yet.My harness is immaculate with all unneccesary wiring removed and everything labelled up perfectly.Everything and i do mean everything is in this package, and to cap it all off he has written a full user manual on fitting and setting up together with a CD ROM with the software on it etc.

Top marks andy, this has taken all of the hard work out of getting this running, sincere thanks mate.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”