JDM 1998 Revision 5 GT turbo!! 403hp,360lb

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: JDM 1998 Revision 5 GT turbo!! 403hp,360lb

Post by jimGTS »

ive almost completed my removal of the entire aircon system in the name of weight saving, and because i dont use and dont need it....plus i like keeping myself busy!
spend a couple of hours yesturday removing all the aircon pipes, including those in the frunk! dam those undertrays!

new red bulbs to complete my dash

could use a red LED for the ignition ring tho!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

jimGTS wrote:....
Allen, yep aircon was working ok, just a bit down of aircon gas, so removed it.

I've always wanted to get the air con working again in my car but alas i think I too many bits missing and tbh I think all the seals have dried out. All I need is someone stripping a working setup out of their car and for me to read the replies in the same week! Doh :oops:

Ha, you just posted lol. Red bulbs ftw I have them in mine after the LED's and it's much better 8)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

arh, and i have these awsome tyres to go on the rears....

TOYO R1Rs

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

allan welsh wrote:
jimGTS wrote:....
Allen, yep aircon was working ok, just a bit down of aircon gas, so removed it.

I've always wanted to get the air con working again in my car but alas i think I too many bits missing and tbh I think all the seals have dried out. All I need is someone stripping a working setup out of their car and for me to read the replies in the same week! Doh :oops:

Ha, you just posted lol. Red bulbs ftw I have them in mine after the LED's and it's much better 8)

the bulbs have only lit my needles better, not effected the digits just so you know.
i have red el glow speedhut dials that do that.... :wink:

you wont be able to get that look from some bulbs... :eye:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

true on dials but then I like stock look, just wanted red :wink:
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

Hey :)

I had a look in your thread and noticed that you got a crack in the mani a while back where it goes to the waste gate? I assume you did not brace the screamer pipe to the down pipe? I dont know if you know but that is how apexi had it setup. A one bolt bracket between the screamer pipe and downpipe to support the wastegate weight.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my original setup had a plate off of the screamer which bolted to the block...
however i realise that wasnt standard....

probably done because the PP cat was cut and welded into the apexi downpipe and the tap your refering to was lost...

ive shortened the length of the screamer to half now anyhow, mainly to clear my torque bar and loose a bit of weight that end.

im thinking of other ways to brace this setup.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i got my new R1R delivered and had them fitted at Elite in rainham Essex, along with a 4 wheel laser alinement!!!

before fitment, i noticed how light they were, even in a 255/35/18 size! afterwards i read they pretty lightweight tyres, so a bonus!

straight from the off, when up to temp, less than 10miles, these things were MILES better than my worn Yoko AD07 Neovas!! (pretty obvious statement, lol)
but infact, id go as far as saying even when my Neovas had plenty of life left, it doesnt match the feel and grip these badboys do!
it feels a nicer ride, less harsh on the road, they look great, and am amazed by the grip levels i now have! i was prob running the last 1000miles on the AD07s with only a few mm at best, so its a tough call, but overall am well pleased! tho my wallet isnt!!
now im expecting these to have about 75% the amount of running life than the AD07s, however, at the moment, i dont care!!!

these stick like anything!!!

VID OF SOME FUN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsnTSwfvWmY

pics
YES, the car needs a clean i know!

and from this weekend i had a bit of a play, built a custom support bracket for my apexi downpipe, and also had a play around with retarding the exhaust cam a little.
its the first time ive played around with the cams since ive owned the car, interesting results.

they were set at +2 and -2 by the owner/tuner in japan, so in a good place, but thought id have a mess around with the exhaust cam a little more and retarded it to 7.5 degrees.
at idle it sounded awsome, proper lopy idle!

however the overlap causde the car to loose power throughout the whole rev range from what i could feel. more lag, less power, not good!!
i just wanted to go to the extremes to get a base run going.
i then popped it to -4, and the car was awsome!!
felt like i lost no spool from the old -2 setup, kept the torque and shove in the back, and the car also felt better from 6-7k rpm!
felt like it wanted to pull and pull and pull....

altho my dyno shows im making peak power at 7k rpm, i still generally change gear at 6.2-6.8 rpm, as it feels like torque is dropping to much for my liking, (getting used to the power i guess)
tho obviously the car still behaves great at this rpm.

however going to -4 retard has certainly given it some more shove from 6-7k rpm, and feels like its kept alot more torque top end to without any low end drawbacks!

plesantly suprised!!!

i may go a little higher to -5 or -6, see how that is, but for now, -4 feels great! and feels like the "sweet" spot!

anyway, pics of the bracket and cam gears...

6mm steel bracket, certainly was a buggerto drill and bend! its bloody solid!! DIY style, but if it does the job :-)

i mainly made it to keep the exhaust and downpipe in check.

vid of the new lopy idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnjJigTe4N4

Return to “Member Profiles”