MR2 dyno results comparison website! *Surrey rolling road only*

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

Re: MR2 dyno results comparison website! *Surrey rolling road only*

Post by mr2nut123 »

jimGTS wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:
Signori wrote:Fancy putting mine up? Got a 3rd and 4th gear run at RS Tuning.

CT20b
1bar of boost
standard rev3 engine

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url571.imageshack.us/url571/7504/imoc1.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url248.imageshack.us/url248/1856/imoc2.jpg

Come on Jim, wake up. Get the 3rd gear run on! :lol: :wink:

i can, but it wouldnt show anything those pics already dont show, lol

lol :wink:

Chuck us the logon details and i'll do it myself then :oldtongue: :)
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:
Ryan - I understand and agree about the difference in midrange between 3rd and 4th but would you mind explaining why I would get more power at the top end in 3rd?

Did we ever get an answer for this? Quite interested before my next upgrade to ge the best results.
Mike N

gear ratio's

Post by Mike N »

Multiply the gear ratio by the known bhp figure.

The lower the gear the higher the power to the wheels.

Lower diff ratio does the same thing.

Typically a 4th gear (top) ratio is 1.1 also known as direct top, the Mr2 has a 4th gear ratio of around 1.028, but 3rd is around 1.328.

Mr2 diffs range from 3.9 to 4.1, (there may be others) the 4.1 gives quicker exceleration and a higher RR Bhp figure.

Tyre circumference - lower profiles reduce the gear ratio more than taller profiles, so ditto the above.
mr2nut123

Re: gear ratio's

Post by mr2nut123 »

Mike N wrote:Multiply the gear ratio by the known bhp figure.

The lower the gear the higher the power to the wheels.

Lower diff ratio does the same thing.

Typically a 4th gear (top) ratio is 1.1 also known as direct top, the Mr2 has a 4th gear ratio of around 1.028, but 3rd is around 1.328.

Mr2 diffs range from 3.9 to 4.1, (there may be others) the 4.1 gives quicker exceleration and a higher RR Bhp figure.

Tyre circumference - lower profiles reduce the gear ratio more than taller profiles, so ditto the above.

So is this conclusive that with any turbo, small or large, you will see better peak power levels in 3rd due to the gear ratio on the MR2? Interesting!

I guess that explains why Ryan runs MR2s in 3rd, and I would imagine some other cars have better 4th gear results, right? :-k
Mike N

gear ratio's

Post by Mike N »

I dont know the reason why Ryan runs his tests in third, but I would guess that the rear engine position and its long coolant runs to the front radiator that would be an influencing factor along with the fact that smaller engines can struggle to make peak power in 4th gear, so any fueling issues or the rev limiter might not be set up totally right unless in 3rd.

When Ryan set up my car, he didnt go on about massive power figures at all - it was infact the opposite, his main concern was mapping a reliable set up, which is just what I wanted to hear. Personally I prefer driveability over peak power anyway.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

After some research and looking into the differences between inertia dynos (eg. dynojet) and eddy current dynos (eg. Dyno Dynamics) I think I've more or less come up with the answer to my own question.

Mike makes some good points above but they may not quite apply to our situation on the dyno for a number of reasons.

I agree with Mike that the lower gear (eg. 3rd) will accelerate more quickly than a higher gear like 4th. However this shouldn't affect the dyno power readings because the dyno knows what RPM or speed the car is travelling at. So while a lower gear might well generate more torque the dyno should not display a power difference because of it due to the overall lower speed achieved in 3rd gear. This should mean that the differences we are seeing are down to differences in the amount of power lost rather than faster acceleration.

I had originally thought that 4th gear would give slightly better peak HP figures than 3rd. This was because the rate of acceleration is slower in 4th gear which means inertial power losses will be lower. In other words it takes more power to accelerate the gears, drivetrain etc. quickly rather than slowly. In fact had the car been on an inertia type dyno like the Dynojet I suspect I would have had better peak power figures in 4th gear because of this.

So part of what Mike mentions above comes into play here too about tyre diameter but in reverse I think because we are talking about the car on an inertia dyno. Ie. peak power recorded on an inertia type dyno will actually be higher using a larger diameter tyre as the car will accelerate more slowly. Sounds a bit weird I know but there's actually quite a lot of information on the internet that supports this.

However this doesn't seem to happen on a Dyno Dynamics. The DD uses a linear rate of acceleration which I believe will mean unlike the Dynojet the amount of inertial power losses through for example the gears should not change. So where does the extra power loss come from in 4th on a DD?

Apparently the retarder(s) that an eddy current dyno uses needs to pump air for self cooling and this can create a loss of recorded power that increases with vehicle speed. Although some types of eddy current dynos do add in a correction factor to account for this I don't know whether this is the case with the DD.

There may also be more power lost through the tyres from travelling at an overall higher speed which may contribute to the lower 4th gear result on a DD as there is no longer the reduced inertial power loss advantage of being in a taller gear to compensate for it .

As to why big HP cars do better in 4th than 3rd - could it be something simple like the really big power cars are more likely to have traction problems on the dyno in 3rd? So there may be wheel spin or perhaps the car may need strapping down more firmly than normal? What did Paul give as the reason btw?

Lastly I can understand the reasoning for using a lower gear like 3rd for safety reasons - ie. less load, heat, shorter pulls etc. However it's for these very reasons that I prefer to use 4th on the dyno because I want the car to be as heavily loaded as I would realistically see in regular use so as to be sure that the car drives nicely and without knock in those conditions. Well that's my take on it anyway :lol:
black gts

Post by black gts »

when my mr2 went on a dynamatics the operator used 3rd and then someone on here said that he should use 4th .i was happy any way.
but.... i did quiz Ryan on this and Ryan uses 3rd to make the runs shorter so there is less heat build up in engine bay .
as with a front mounted engine is getting the full blast of cold air from the rolling road fan :thumleft:

hth

Paul
car now sold
most parts off gts chris
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

black gts wrote:when my mr2 went on a dynamatics the operator used 3rd and then someone on here said that he should use 4th .i was happy any way.
but.... i did quiz Ryan on this and Ryan uses 3rd to make the runs shorter so there is less heat build up in engine bay .
as with a front mounted engine is getting the full blast of cold air from the rolling road fan :thumleft:

hth

Paul

Also, 3rd makes a considerable difference to power. Between 15-25bhp and 10-15fp torque seems to be added to the 3rd gear run as it has a higher gear ratio and spins up the dyno a bit quicker. Can't wait to get my 3rd gear run in for a fair comparrison.

p.s. Airflow ain't an issue when you've got a ha-uge boot mount hanging low with a fan :wink:
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Hi Jim,

as requested a while back:

Rough spec list, revision, boost, pump fuel, race fuel, meth?

Fully built 2.0 / Rev 3 / 2.0 bar / V-Power

Turbo/cooling/ems?

GT35R / Chargecooler / Motec

Dyno here:

4th gear pull
Dyno - Rapid GB
M5
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:Dang... does that mean my car and MR2nut's car might have seen the magical 400BHP on our peashooter GT28s if we'd used 3rd gear? :eye:

No need to run cheat, I mean 3rd gear. :lol: 406bhp for the win! :twisted:

Gear ratio for the MR2 is closer to 1:1 in 4th than in 3rd (1:3 from what I can remember?). I made an additional ~20hp and quite a bit more torque in 3rd today so I think it's fair to say that it's either these engines or possibly a combination of them and smaller turbos that make a fair bit more power in 3rd. :-k

I was about to get a 3rd gear dyno sheet for comparrison, but the clutch slipped badly on the last run as I need a single plate now :(. Up to about 6k there was already a good spool and power advantage before getting to peak hp. I'll definately nip back down once the clutch is sorted and get a quick power run for sure.

There's quite a noticeable spool difference from low end, but who can honestly say that they drive these things below 4k, especially in a quick blat? You wouldn't wait for spool, you would drop into your powerband as you would with any sports car. I must admit, I went with this turbo for spool initially, and I realise it's no GT28RS now with the cams, but the addiction for neck braking top end like this has got the better of me now :wink: The car feels absolutely INSANE compared to before! The torque curve remains solid up top with hp increasing to redline which makes my previous 'high peak midrange map' running standard cams feel stupid when driving her now.

Another thing to note is the super safe OEM like AFRs. I was running quite lean before between 3 and 4k so I would put the spool difference mostly down to this as it was mapped very safely. I guess we can all map aggressively to show off but i'd rather keep temps down and drive it to be fair :wink:

Charge temps were between 30-35max after a few hours in the hot stuffy dyno which was good, and no more than 35 knock on the FC. All on V-Power with no addatives or meths too.

Anyway, here's the graphs!

Green obviously being the new map :oldtongue:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

hi, sorry ill get these uploaded during the week

so was this still 4th gear, but with your hks 264s now?? correct?

same 1.5bar? or more boost?

so the cams have given you 30hp, but slower spool correct?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

jimGTS wrote:hi, sorry ill get these uploaded during the week

so was this still 4th gear, but with your hks 264s now?? correct?

same 1.5bar? or more boost?

so the cams have given you 30hp, but slower spool correct?

Hi Jim,

Didn't expect a reply that quickly to be honest!

Aye, i've got HKS 264 low lifts in there. Same boost and gear as before, still makes 394bhp at 1.4bar which is great too as it still makes more power and more importantly, holds the torque curve up top. My previous setups not in the same league once on the road in the powerband!

Correct, but my AFRs show just how much leaner it was running before bottom end. We have seriously played safe on this map which is the main reason for the big loss. With the AFRs same as before, they would have estimated only a few hundred rpm loss of spool too.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:Hey Jim, any chance you can put my TD06 and GT28RS graphs up for a little while so I can have a quick comparison for my own interest like you did for MR2nut?

Green is TD06 at 21.2 psi, red is GT28RS at 22psi:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... verlay.jpg

Can you post the AFR graphs for these kong? Would be interested to see how lean it is bottom end.
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Check out those AFRs.... \:D/
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Power and torque curves
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

wadeski wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss39 ... CF3581.jpg

Check out those AFRs.... \:D/

I've heard that the ideal AFRs on the MR2 are 11.5:1 so that's pretty bang on to be fair!

My latest tune even spools from this ratio. Spool is slower but I guess it's nice and rich through the entire rev range!
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

oh and the build:

Stock rev3 3S-GTE, 1.2bar, pump fuel (BP ultimate or V-power), uprated injectors

TD06, Celica chargecooler, Power FC
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice :clap: :clap: :clap:
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Forgies? we dont need no stinking forgies [-(
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »