The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Peter Gidden »

Secondary door pocket for your personal grooming kit? :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

It'd have to be bigger than that! :lol:

Hair appointment card recepticle? :wink: :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

:lol: I should have expected as much

Although you're not far off. Not the grooming products of course #-o :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Well after a fair bit of sitting and patiently waiting, both of my parcels finally arrived today, from the states :D

This follows on from the clue the other day.

Can ya guess what it is yet? :wink:

The other parcel was a blanket for the turbo, courtesy of PTP Turbo Blankets. So far I've been nothing but impressed with them and the product. So much so I might be doing a little bit business with them :wink:

Got the day off tomorrow so I'll get it fitted and tested, to see what it does for spool times and engine bay/intake temps.
Last edited by Magic Beans on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

That turbo blanket looks very tempting! how much was it? looking forward to how you get on with it 8)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

How can that turbo blanket improve spool time?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It was $135 ish, shipped. Took around 10 days to get here, however USPS have a full tracking service, so you can see exactly where it is. Quite interesting, in a sad kind of way :lol:

I spent a LOT of time looking at the various offerings out there and reading user opinions. This met my requirements perfectly and the pre sales was superb. I tend to ask a lot of questions :oops: It pays to know what you're buying or need to buy, before you take the plunge.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GreddyMR2 wrote:How can that turbo blanket improve spool time?

In a nutshell:

A turbo blanket improves the performance of your turbocharger by keeping "the hot side hot." In keeping the exhaust gases within the turbocharger hot, turbocharger efficiency is improved. As you may know, the hotter a gas is, the more expansive it is. Within a contained system of a specified size, the more expansive a gas is, the greater the pressure derived and thus, the greater the flow of gas to escape the containment. With this increased pressure and flow rate for a given engine RPM, the acceleration of the turbocharger's impeller is increased as compared to the same turbocharger with the engine at the same RPM but with cooler exhaust gases. This equates to faster spool up of the turbocharger, as well as greater attainable levels of boost. What a driver will experience with a turbo blanket is greater turbocharger responsiveness. The faster spool up of the turbocharger means less turbo lag and a more linear power curve.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Thanks, that's interesting, let us know if it helps when you fit it :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Will do :thumleft:

The main aim is to reduce engine bay and intake temperatures, in preparation for getting in remapped in the next few weeks. Water injection is also going back in soon, which should also help reduce temps and to keep the engine good and healthy. The last thing any of us want to do is to do all this work and damage the engine due to causes we can control, simply through a bit more investment and research :)

Ultimate power has never been my goal with this car. I'm far more interested in having a good, solid and healthy car, as opposed to it being bleeding edge tuned and failing a few months down the line. It would be nice to get 450bhp safely, however if not a solid 400bhp is more than enough for most sane people :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

For some reason my brain didn't want to be asleep last night, so I decided to get up (at 6:00am! #-o ) and make a start on fitting the blanket. Amongst other things...

This was never going to be easy :shock:

Trying to squeeze the blanket between the downpipe, screamer, oil lines etc proved to be a challenge

An hour later, persistence paid off and it's in place

A couple of better photos of the manifold heat shield.

It's in there somewhere :lol:

The only glimpse of it with everything back in place

Just for fun I decided to do a quick video of a cold start, to demonstrate the nice quite head Peter built. A far cry from the rattling lump it was before the overhaul :thumleft:

http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... GA0404.mp4

The test drive will have to wait, as Mr Blue Skies isn't living here today :|
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Looking good my friend, 450BHP you are insane haha, better order a neck brace to go with that!...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

just read through this full thread,

this car is awesome and love the styling making me think now lol

shame about the old car mind was really nice and had my fave all time wheels on too :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:Looking good my friend, 450BHP you are insane haha, better order a neck brace to go with that!...

Do you have any news for us sir? :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

alan_uk wrote:just read through this full thread,

this car is awesome and love the styling making me think now lol

shame about the old car mind was really nice and had my fave all time wheels on too :(

:thumleft:

Rays TE37s are awesome looking wheels. I have been deliberating getting some more for this car :-k I think I'm due a period of not spending any money on it soon though :lol:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Did you not get a text? Kurt was born on the 26th, weighing 7lb 8oz :) ...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:Did you not get a text? Kurt was born on the 26th, weighing 7lb 8oz :) ...

Nope. I was starting to wonder if you had a fighter on your hands, who didn't want to be born yet :wink:

Congratulations to you both though (well, all four now I guess :wink: ) Really pleased for you buddy :thumleft:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

thanks, all happy here, will have to come along soon, although 2 off the road for now, might have found a turbo also :) ...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

So after taking delivery of this the other day, I've spent the last few days toiling over the latest addition to the Mule

So what is it? It's Ultrasuede, which is basically Alcantara. I chose this stuff as Alcantara in white is a pain to get hold of, although this wasn't that much easier in the end #-o

And what's it for...? Well, I've grown tired of the leather/vinyl interior of the car, so decided to spruce it up a bit by re-trimming a couple of elements. First off are the cubby box lids.

As always I've got step by step photos of what you need to do for this, however in the case of this I would suggest not embarking on this journey unless you are prepared to put in some serious time and patience to do it. It's not the most technically demanding job in the world but getting it right takes time and planning. Anyway, on to the photos :thumleft:

First off the lids need to come off, strip the covering (massive PITA) and then put some time in cleaning the glue residue off the lids. Once done you're ready to go. My approach was the same as I used when fitting the gear gaiter. That being to use strong glue and clamps. The downside of the glue is each bit you do you need to leave for 30 mins for it to take properly. Once set though it isn't coming off!

Fast forward a few hours

A few more later and it's done

Then the other one

Many more passes later

The box then had a damn good clean

Done! :thumleft: A side by side comparison

Time to fit it. Before

After

As always I'm struggling to get the light balance right on the photos, as it doesn't glow quite that much :lol: All in all though I'm really pleased with the results :D It was a lot of work and has somewhat put me off offering to do it for others, which I had considered before I started. Maybe next time it will be easier :-k :wink:

That's enough for today. Next up is the doorcard inserts, which should be a bit easier :^o
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

that looks ace mate were did you get the material from ?

Return to “Member Profiles”