welcome to my basket case.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

qwakers

Re: welcome to my basket case.

Post by qwakers »

unfortunatly as much as i hate to admit it i cant afford the extra grand that itd cost me to start with a later engine. building this engine will give me good power on a budget especially as im going to take my time doing it, but adding the charger will probably take a back seat. the biggest thing that attracted me to this engone is its apparent bulletproof reliability and its scope for tuning. all in all im happy enough with this route.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I agree , the 3vz can take some abuse.

Id be doing it the same way. Strip the 3vz down and rebuild it all back up as new. Then when the money is ok id be looking at turbo charging and going standalone.

If i had the money up front then 2gr with a supercharger or something. On a budget then the above.

Then again if i could get hold of a cheap turbo then id do that too....depending on what i found first...3vz or 3sgte.
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

well its home. and what a interesting journey that was.

went and picked the trailer up at 11am this morning and set off....

got 3/4 of the way there and noticed it felt a bit wrong when slowing for corners...

on the way back with the car on board and it was definitely pulling to the left under brakeing. i stopped in a layby and dropped the trailer and took the towcar for a spin, it was much less pronounced but still pulling to the left under moderate brakeing. tossed a coin and decided that as it was controllable id hook back up and take it easy. so instead of going home via the Atlantic highway which is very twisty i steered a course for oakhampton and went home on the a30. i decided id stop if it got any worse and call the rac. it didnt get any worse and i got all the way back home to the trailers hiding place with no real problems. dropped the trailer and went home. i decided as i had 5 mins to have a poke round the rear brakes. rhs caliper still has material on but very nearly metal to metal. i recon that caliper is sticking hence the uneven braking.... so much for just having passed a mot....

still.. alls well that ends well.

just picked it up

all home and parked up for the foreseeable future...
Last edited by qwakers on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Good work, I think someone on twobrutal is after the cruise control stuff if you decide not to use it. Also the air-con compressor is worth keeping if your not using it
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

:) send me a link
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

Easiest.Electrical.Fix.Ever.

my central locking didnt work.

put the fuse back in

full remote central locking now works.

and it doesnt randomly unlock itself or otherwise affect the car.

win :mrgreen:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Some times it is possible for things to be simple.. :D Its happened to me once..

just once..

[-(
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

just got my crane and runner track fitted yp. works great :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhaOiyzMF-8

please forgive the music, radio 1 is the only station that radio will pick up
:neutral:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Oh my isn't that shiny..

I certainly like that. :thumleft:
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

cost less than a freestanding engine hoist too... until you add the extras.... :oops:
Draven

Post by Draven »

really i'm shocked at that..

I'm guessing you added the extras?
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

yes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272134167630? ... EBIDX%3AIT

£70 for the 250-500kg one

that will give you lift but no fore and aft movement

then i modified this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400961919484? ... EBIDX%3AIT

to fit the hoist

and a couple of lengths of 40mm angle to make the runners. £10 for a box of timber bolts rated high enough to do the job and bobs yer uncle.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm quite shocked how cheap that is. :wink: Just make sure the track on the roof is strong enough and you don't end up pulling the ceiling down when you try to lift the engine. :pray:
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

each fixing ive used is rated at 180kg, 6 in each 'leg' and 4 legs, should be plenty. plus theyre bolting into 9"x3" roof trusses.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Your far better off using the hoist to lower the engine and box onto a pallet and then use the hoist to lift the car up allowing you to slide the pallet out, a pallet on casters makes it a doddle.

You can then also use stands/blocks under the sills to support the shell as it's raised to prevent it falling down
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

engine crane works brilliantly very please with it. no sign of any untoward movement whilst pulling a landrover engine transfer and gearbox out as a unit...

so with that done with ease i took the mr2 out for a spin.

now i would like to say im the stig so i pushed it to its limits and drove it like a god.. but i cant :lol:

ive never driven anything mid engined before or (notwithstanding motorbikes) with this high a power to weight ratio, so rather than learn its handaling caracteristics the hard way first time out, i took it easy. ish.

it drives sooo much better than it did before i sorted the suspension, im soooo happy with the way it turned out so far, however i have 1 small issue thats causing me to scratch my head

it feels very planted right up to about 80mph but it starts to feel loose and floaty amd all the feel in the steering disappears. any ideas?
markstevieandmads

If its a jap import then it will have a convertor fitted. Your find this messes with the power steering as its supposed to turn off at about 55mph but it doesnt till much later.

You fan either fit a stef delimter (very rare) or do what i did and fit uk speedometer. Unfortuantely this does put back the 112mph limiter but if your not going on track then you wont need it. You could always wire the delimiter/convertor at the ecu end.
markstevieandmads

OR....

Your missing the undertrays which help keep it stable at speed.
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

it has no speedo converter or delimeter fitted, the speedo has been converted by fitting a set of gauge faces. and it still tops out at 115mph.

Return to “Member Profiles”