TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Post by C35Rob »

griffo20022 wrote:My word this is bloody stunning! Love you attention to detail on parts etc. Those wheels are phenomenal! love it!

thanks! I'm glad you like it.

more slow progress with this..

firstly, someone wanted to buy my "bomex" wing, which I got down from the rafters of the garage to take some pictures but decided I actually like it so I've fitted it

which took quite a bit of this

as the mould was a little rough in places, and I didn't have, or want to use the original bomex brackets so had to fill those holes in

I fitted it by drilling it to suit the standard fixing holes and putting alloy rivnuts in the GRP, then bonding it to the boot lid, for extra security.. it's going nowhere now.

and then I bought this, so I can blast some colour on it when I get a day that's warm enough

the next thing on the agenda was to address the NSR wheel bearing..

I bought a pair of used hubs from a local trader/breaker, the bearings were actually fine but the hubs were really grotty, so I put them into my friendly blasters to clean them up and got them back today, I removed the disc back plates, studs and ABS sensors (they had been cut off the donor car)

unfortunately the bolts for the ABS sensors snapped
:roll: so I had to drill them out and re-tap the holes

I've already got 10mm longer studs to go into the hubs, I'll be buying some new rear control arm bearing/bushes and wheel bearings (actually I had bought the wheel bearings but the wrong ones arrived) so I can get them built up then I'll wet spray them once they're built up.

I'm slowly trying to chip away at the jobs that need doing, next will be to replace the flexi on the HKS exhaust.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I've been slowly chipping away at jobs that need doing on this, in between looking after a screaming baby and fiddling with my Laurel

the hubs I had blasted had new bearings pressed into them.. I had some silly quotes from places to do this, but ended up hooking up with a friend of a friend who runs his own garage (and built/owns/drives a 480bhp mk4 astra estate) who did them while I waited for £15 - which is a LOT less than I'd been quoted elsewhere.

I then took them home and pulled the new studs into the drive flanges with my rattle gun and primed them up

then shot them a nice thick coat of 2K gloss black

which I'm really happy with

the other suspension related part I'm working on is some adjustable rear arms to go with my SonicBoom RCA's.. basically, it's advisable when using rear RCA's to also relocate the mounting point of the rear toe arm by the same amount to make sure both arms move the same arc.. the only commercially available kit i'm aware of that does this is the wilhelm raceworks kit which I'm not willing to pay for so I'm going to do it myself, but slightly different - all will become obvious when they're finished.

here's a sneak peek anyway, obviously I need to weld the inserts in, fabricate the hub end bracket and paint them up but it's coming together nicely.

I also painted the bomex spoiler I fitted to my boot lid

which wasn't a bad finish for a cheap spray gun in a dusty garage, but I got a run which I flatted out, then noticed a couple of fish eyes so I'm going to paint it again next time I get chance
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Good effort mate. Stunning car!

Where did you buy your rear plate from, and what size is it?

I've just bought a white rev 4 turbo for the road and need to get plates made up, but fancy smaller ones. :mrgreen:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

J-1 wrote:Good effort mate. Stunning car!

Where did you buy your rear plate from, and what size is it?

I've just bought a white rev 4 turbo for the road and need to get plates made up, but fancy smaller ones. :mrgreen:

Thanks mate,

I can't remember exactly where the plate came from, I usually get them through eBay though, I'll have a dig through my receipts file later. It's a 13x6.5" plate.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

We've had a few nice days here so I've used my time wisely and managed to re-paint the bomex wing, it's came out lovely this time. I'm really happy with the results.

My painting is coming on really well which is satisfying as it's another thing I'll not have to pay someone else to do again, I hate relying on other people and the whole point (in my eyes) of the whole car game is to build your own car, your own way.

that's about it for now, I've got the FC commander mounted on the dash where I want it but that doesn't really warrant a picture, the hubs i painted up are wrapped in bubble wrap in the shed waiting to be fitted which will happen once I've bought some new suspension.

oh, and I changed my dead lambda sensor for a new one too..
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

a little update to keep this ticking over..

I've been busy squirreling away parts for my turbo upgrade, not in any real order just buying things as and when they turn up at prices I'm happy paying.

I got hold of a Datalogit so got that fitted, decided to stick it in the glovebox so removed it and marked the back up for a hole to pass the cables through

cut the hole out with a knife attachment on a gas soldering/plastic welding iron

used a grommet in the hole, just for neatness sake, this was in the top of my toolbox but I'm 99% certain its the bulkhead grommet from a mk1 mx5 AC unit

and fitted

needed to run a cable from the datalogit box to the ground and 0-5v signal wire from my wideband which has been neatly done, all ran behind the dash into the drivers side kick panel where the gnd and signal wire were tucked away.

and then got it up and running

I've read the manual a few times, and pretty much everything I can find online re: tuning with FC edit, it seems pretty straightforward and I've had a little play with it already, can't wait to start logging and tuning myself!

In other news, I've bought a new Turbo, some V band clamps, a couple of lambda bosses, some 3" stainless mandrel bends, oil and water lines, gaskets and all the other little bits and pieces to pretty much complete the turbo install, although I go back to work next week so not sure when I'll get chance to get it all fitted :(

I noticed one of the brackets on my FReddy intercooler is snapped too, which is a good excuse to start collecting the parts for either a CC or BMIC set up. I'm undecided as to which yet, I like the simplicity of the big intercooler but not really keen to start hacking holes in the rear firewall and boot floor, moving my alarm siren, oil catch can, injector/fuel pump resistor packs etc etc.

The CC appeals due to it's neat install in the engine bay, but the added cost/complication/weight of running hoses, fitting a pump etc is the downside. That said, I have months ahead of me to weigh it all up so won't be jumping to a decision any time soon.

I still need to buy some new coilovers, finish making my rear arms and 1001 other little jobs but there's no real deadline for this so it will all happen in good time, It would be nice to be able to drive it next summer though.
C35Rob

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - Slow Progress

Post by C35Rob »

msglength
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Looking at yours with the amber indicators has got me considering to remove my 'crystal' clear ones or whatever they call them.

You mentioned JDM amber indicators? how are they different to UK ones?

I also picked up one of those Nardi wheels, its awesome.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Thanks,

The cheap crystal indicators are crap, I had a set and they don't fit well and I think they don't look 'right' on an old car.

The jdm units are all amber, so the side lights are amber too - not strictly legal for road use but neither is a lot of things people do. Just keep a legit set if you get a fussy mot tester.

The uk versions are part amber and part clear .

Agreed the nardi wheels are awesome, well worth the money.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Which size turbo have you gone for then rob?

I'm kinda glad martins td06 is gone as I was looking at it nearly every day being tempted by it.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Great bomex wing :mrgreen: .. and other work :thumleft:

Must be very happy :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Nails - I wanted a Td06, but got offered a unused t3/t04e for a price I couldn't refuse. It's the larger 57 trim wheel, which isn't as well suited as a 50 trim but lads in the states have made 350bhp @ 15.5 psi with the same set up so it should be ok.

2mad - thanks man, I'm never happy though, it seems like I do one job then think of two more things I 'need'
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote: I'm never happy though, it seems like I do one job then think of two more things I 'need'

Ha ha lol thats mr2 ownership :lol: :whistle: .. been there seen it done it :mrgreen:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

2mad wrote:
Rob - East Coast Imports wrote: I'm never happy though, it seems like I do one job then think of two more things I 'need'

Ha ha lol thats mr2 ownership :lol: :whistle: .. been there seen it done it :mrgreen:

that's just cars in general mate, I'd probably spend much more if the MR2 had the aftermarket support that more popular platforms get, but I agree with your sentiments :thumleft:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

What's all these gucci bits i've been seeing on facebook/instagram then?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

tiff_lee wrote:What's all these gucci bits i've been seeing on facebook/instagram then?

erm... I've not updated this for ages! partly due to laziness, partly due to there not being a great deal of interest in it and maybe a little bit of paranoia thinking maybe it's not a fantastic idea to be announcing to the world what I've bought, what I own etc.. not that any of it is particularly special!

The front suspension is all refreshed - powder coated arms, poly bushes, camber adjust RCA's, rose jointed adjustable track rod ends and the TOM's under brace are all fitted

I still haven't finished making my rear tie rods, I'm back down south on POET's course in Jan so I'll be able to get on a lathe and spin up the few little bits I need for that.

The turbo is ready to go on, I realised/found out that the manifold adaptor that I bought won't work on a Rev 3+ engine, since the turbo is shifted 1/2" or so over to the near side compared to a rev 1/2 so it'd end up with the compressor housing hitting the clutch slave cyl. I got hold of an ATS Racing CNC adaptor flange from ^trickster^ on here (nice guy and very nice MR2!) which was cheap because it was welded to a rev 1 manifold - I cut that off with a grinder, milled it flat, fitted new studs and it's ready to go. Once it's on i'll weld up a new exhaust in 3" from the turbo back.

The fuel system is nearly there.. I've got a top feed rail, 875cc injectors, -6 fuel feed line (already fitted from the tank hardline to the stock fuel filter) so just need a new regulator (which I'm buying from summit racing when they do their black friday/cyber monday sale) then that's all ready to go in too

other than that it just needs some new coilovers then it'll be back on the road
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Ha I know what you mean but i'm the opposite, all car stuff goes on forums but nothing on Facebook!

I see all those gucci suspension components and I just want them because I can not because I feel my car needs the upgrade. I can't believe how well my Rev 3 handles as it is, although with that said not like I can push it hard with over zealous speeding restrictions.

POET's course! the glory of being a Cat B awaits! once you get down there head over to the block/workshop manager of Allied Trades? (can't remember now if that was where the lathes were and speak to him, when I was on NPOC they lent me a bunch of tools and I had my own lathe setup so if I got off early I could just head over and use it, the place was like a tomb, all those rows of lathes and about 6 were in use! the legacy of the ET branch.

What are the stock injectors on a Rev 3?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Cat B, yeah.. Can't wait for a 1-2 watchbill! But it's a means to an end, I'll do one Draft, top up the degree to a masters then I'm out of there. I wanted to do Australia too but since we've had the baby I couldn't "take her away" from her family, and on a selfish note I know my Laurel isn't eligible for import and the MR2 would have to be returned to pretty much standard to get it compliance for import :roll:

Stock rev3+ injectors are 540cc, which are good up to the limits of the stock ECU, turbo and fuel pump, so 320ish bhp, more than enough for a road car really. Some people have pushed them to 350ish bhp on bigger turbos but at scary duty cycles. The Siemens injectors I'm using are 875cc so you could achieve the same-ish capacity with some sard/denso injectors that fit the stock rail but my new ones are disc type instead of the old pintle type so they will have a much better spray pattern and significantly better fuel atomisation which should mean a lower BSFC, better knock resistance etc.

As for the suspension, the bushes will tighten it up, and reducing the bump steer with my new parts should be nice. I think the worst part is how floaty the front end feels at autobahn speeds, I plan on playing around with a pretty elaborate front splitter/undertray to see if I can reduce that though.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:Cat B, yeah.. Can't wait for a 1-2 watchbill! But it's a means to an end, I'll do one Draft, top up the degree to a masters then I'm out of there. I wanted to do Australia too but since we've had the baby I couldn't "take her away" from her family, and on a selfish note I know my Laurel isn't eligible for import and the MR2 would have to be returned to pretty much standard to get it compliance for import :roll:

Do you mean top up to a Bachelors? do POET's get the Foundation degree still? Topping mine up to a Bacehlors at the minute and it's a 2 year course, wish I had done it sooner as it's been a real struggle getting on top of the maths again but then had I done it sooner there would of been no ELC's to pay for it!

How come the Laurel isn't eligible? I know the import rules are pretty anal here but you do get alot of waivers on certain things when it is classed as a "Personal Import". One example while not really applicable here is 'kit' cars, to build and road register one here is an absolute nightmare (and something I would like to do in the future) but had I just imported one from the UK as a personal import alot of the restrictive rules wouldn't of applied.

Yeah I can't see me every needing to go beyond 300 bhp, I wish I could reach Autobahn speeds! In the future i'll have to do some trackdays just to get the most out of the car, which again like everything else over here needs some kind of special license.

With that said I like spending money on shiny gucci bits.....
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

tiff_lee wrote: top up to a Bachelors? do POET's get the Foundation degree still? Topping mine up to a Bacehlors at the minute and it's a 2 year course, wish I had done it sooner as it's been a real struggle getting on top of the maths again but then had I done it sooner there would of been no ELC's to pay for it!

How come the Laurel isn't eligible? I know the import rules are pretty anal here but you do get alot of waivers on certain things when it is classed as a "Personal Import". One example while not really applicable here is 'kit' cars, to build and road register one here is an absolute nightmare (and something I would like to do in the future) but had I just imported one from the UK as a personal import alot of the restrictive rules wouldn't of applied.

Yeah I can't see me every needing to go beyond 300 bhp, I wish I could reach Autobahn speeds! In the future i'll have to do some trackdays just to get the most out of the car, which again like everything else over here needs some kind of special license.

With that said I like spending money on shiny gucci bits.....

Yeah, I'll do the Bachelors first.. just trying to get as much as possible out of them since they've stolen most most of my adult life from me!

I've read a few threads on the aus skyline forum that said manual converted cars weren't eligible, not sure if that applies to personal imports too?

I sorted my FPR last night anyway, was going to get one from the states but got a killer deal on a genuine Tomei one from japan, if that gets here next week then I should have it running on the new injectors the same day \:D/

Return to “Member Profiles”