Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ceejay

Re: Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by ceejay »

This looks lush dude! Yours is gonna be a inspiration for mine :) however mines the non turbo..
ashley

Post by ashley »

So what turbo have you chosen and why (in less than 500 words)?

:wink:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

ceejay wrote:This looks lush dude! Yours is gonna be a inspiration for mine :) however mines the non turbo..

Thanks a lot mate :) it's getting there. Ill keep an eye out for yours for sure buddy.

Phil, ill get an update tonight along with the hustling story behind the plate :p

Haha Ashley, that was quite a post on yours ill admit. Ill post my final decision later on and how I came to it. I had been looking at the BW EFR 8374 (external wastegate version 1.05) but ended up walking away due to the electronic built in boost control solenoid valve.
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Wheres this update???? :whistle:
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

vinp182 wrote:Wheres this update???? :whistle:

Yeh matey whats happening to your 2? :whistle:

A new "nuclear powered" turbo :twisted: :lol:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Well.... its been a brilliant few weeks at work.... NOT.
I have been so tired at night ive been coming in and putting on a dvd and crashing out.

Finally ive made time to update the goings on with the car.

First though, the plate story for Phil :wink:

Ive been looking at plates ever since my old man got his first one back when i was about 3ft tall.... a long long time a go ;)

Anyways ive thought about buying many funny ones or kind of "off topic" ones like J4 PAN and JAP 4N/JAP 44N .. missed out on these last year.

So just after christmas last year i had been looking at the DVLA auction list for jan/feb to see if there was anything decent coming up.

"GEO 1S" ... was the first thing that jumped out of the page. Safe to say i was instantly sold. Considering the closest thing to saying "GEO'S" is "GEO 5" and that sold for over £80k... i just had to have this one.
I was due to auction around the end of January if i remember correctly. As some of you know i travel a good 300+ miles each way to go to College in Grimsby, which is a tiring affair at the best of times and i tend to go into autopilot when at college. To add to the usual zombie version of my college time self i had 4 exams to endure. This completely threw me off my game and i forgot about the plate.
It was only when my mum asked me if i had bothered to bid that i remembered about it, but id missed it.
It started at £700 and it had sold for an amount that i couldnt find out anywhere. I tried to find out who won it to then offer them more for it. But no such luck.

Then... a good few months back i happened to be browsing the private reg websites looking at what was on the go and i came across it.
Instead of the usual pricing it said " £xxxx (stock of ours)"

pen, paper, number taken...

The fact that it mentioned it was their own stock meant that they were not trying to play middle man and add even more money to it. Now i wont disclose how much they wanted for it as that would give a rough idea what i paid in the end... but it was enough that i could have bought a really nice Evo6 instead.

I came home from work and mentioned it to my mum, who in turn mentioned it to my old man and he said i should call them up and see what i could knock off it.
So i did... i called up and the guy on the phone informed me that the "director" actually owned this plate as his name was also George but he no longer had the car he had intended to put it on. I asked him what the lowest price they could go was and he told me right away that he was only authorised to take 10% off and should i want to offer less then i would have to speak to the director.
Ofcourse i requested to speak to him and left my number as he was out of office.
The next day at work this "director" guy called and so we got chatting. I told him that i had intended to buy the plate in the auction and why i hadnt managed to get it and so on.
I then told him that i was aware of what he had paid for the plate (LIES!) and that i understood realistically that he would have to make money on it to cover it now being advertised and to cover his admin staff dealing with it etc... :wink: we all know this is garbage but it was what he wanted to hear as you will find out.
To be fair he was a reasonable chap and he explained that originally it had been for himself but since he no longer needed it then yes it had cost him a bit of money to advertise and put onto a retainer ready for selling etc...
He then asked if i would be happy to pay £400 more than what he had paid for it if i paid it in full that day + any fees for transfer or plates being made and so on.

DEAL! in my books...

Although, one major flaw. I didnt actually know what he paid for it so i didnt know how much it was going to cost me now other than £400ish more than that figure.

I asked him to send me an invoice if possible to my email address and id call him after work 8) .. this meant i could find out and potentially either bail or rob a bank

To my pleasant surprise i saved myself a lot more money than i had thought i would having called them up and had a decent chat with the guy. Dont get me wrong this is a shortened version of what was about a 30 minute long phonecall.

Safe to say yes it absolutely emptied me of all money, change, washers and glass bottles (the 30p return ones) as i had to go all out to get it but i was more than happy as i thought i had missed out completely.

Now all i need to do is get another rear plate made with smaller lettering as i feel the current lettering is a tad too large.

Buying this plate really did put a hault on any hopes of the winter changes i had planned for the car... but i am glad to say that they are happening just now.

I took it away on saturday morning to be returned in the Spring sometime.

The engine is currently out of the car and the Turbo kit, fuel rail and injectors are being removed/have been removed awaiting to be installed onto another IMOC members car next week. If he wishes to reveal who he is then fair play but i wont be giving it away for him :) ... all i know is that he is super excited :D and has bought a nice new management system to run it with.

My car's Turbo set up plans will remain unsaid for now as i havent finalised it 100% yet... 95% sure though on what im doing.

Once the parts all come in ill post more...

Staying secretive for now.

But i opted in the end, like Ashley did, to opt out of going for the Borg Warner EFR Turbos.
I was looking at the 8374 and 9180 versions (External wastegate ones) but having read up on them and realised they have an electronic built in boost control valve i ran a mile. These will 100% take a dump on you given any chance.
Last edited by GeorgeL on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Haha, nice story :)

It's good you saved £3 and giving him a few kisses though.. :mrgreen:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Magic Beans wrote:Haha, nice story :)

It's good you saved £3 and giving him a few kisses though.. :mrgreen:

I tell ya Phil, he was a nice guy... I was happy to oblige :shock:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice one!!

Want to know your plans though...guess we'll just have to wait eh?! :whistle:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do 8-[
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Once the order is through ill post on it mate. I don't want to curse it haha!

Yeah Phil that's true buddy... :/ awkward
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

GTX35r :wink:
ashley

Post by ashley »

:shock:

GTX3582r??
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Yeah bud.
Last edited by GeorgeL on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Feck....
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Well....

its been a while since ive updated much.

Been mega busy recently with college and such likes.

We have said goodbye to the spare GTR shell as it is no longer going to be needed:

My old man has started work on the Capri's bodywork:

And my car is in bits to allow me to clean it all up to how it should be while the heart of it is being transformed.

Since taking the photos of my car i have started cleaning around the engine bay so dont worry its not going to remain that bad haha!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

All that potential sat there in those cars, waiting to be unleashed :D
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Man I love that Capri! I always wanted the Capri laser

Black is the best colour, mmmm :twisted:

Simons speed demon is the one under the cover 8)
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Magic Beans wrote:All that potential sat there in those cars, waiting to be unleashed :D

Haha yeah buddy there are fun times ahead around my area thats for sure.

juliankv73 wrote:Man I love that Capri! I always wanted the Capri laser

Black is the best colour, mmmm :twisted:

Simons speed demon is the one under the cover 8)

This one is going to be get painted Gloss Black. I agree mate its the only colour to have it... my old man has had countless capris over the years. All 2.8 and 3L ones. He picked this one up last year as a project to sort. Its just had the 3L V6 essex engine dropped back in it... its going to be a long winter though. A lot of work required to make the X-pack perfect.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Very interesting read mate, I really love what you have done with the car.

I was hoping you might be able to help me a bit with wheels?

I have a set of 17" Regamasters in exactly the same sizes and offsets as you (and another pair of 8" fronts at et+38). I've had them for 2.5 years but I have had to buy a family home for the 2 kids that have arrived since I bought them! I may now have a chance to get them on at last.....

I have tentatively tried them on the car a few times but the fronts always seem to rub my suspension springs (only just). I am running Tein Super Street coilovers at the moment but also have HSD Monopro's and Ohlins PCV's in my collection of parts to try. If their reputation is as good as it seems I will end up running the Ohlins.......

Are you running coilovers? If so, any tips how you have got your fronts to fit?

I have tried a 3mm spacer on the front to clear the springs but the wheels then look further out at the front of the car than the back.....

If you want me to take this lot off the project thread then just say :)

Return to “Member Profiles”