MR2 dyno results comparison website! *Surrey rolling road only*

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kongaroo

Re: MR2 dyno results comparison website! *Surrey rolling road only*

Post by Kongaroo »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Kongaroo wrote:For myself I wouldn't mind maybe another 30 to 40BHP or so just to give the car the edge against some of those big V8 cars :lol:

What about those 1000Kg V6 twin turbos? :mrgreen:

Lol, no fair! Can I throw a few speed bumps in on the main straight? :lol:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Ryan.g wrote:If Kong did a run in 3rd like all the other graphs are then i think he will be surprised at the difference in midrange on the graph but where he would loose mid range im sure it would make more power top end.

Its not a fair compairson at all when running cars in different gears espically on a DD Dyno.

Ryan

I agree it would be different between gears (and said as much earlier in the thread too) which is why I've stuck to comparing to MR2nut's GT2876r as it's the same dyno and gear.

Ryan - I understand and agree about the difference in midrange between 3rd and 4th but would you mind explaining why I would get more power at the top end in 3rd?

In your experience is there any difference in the peak power obtained between 3rd and 4th gears assuming the same boost and AFR/timing? If so what have you found it to be roughly? Thanks.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:
Ryan.g wrote:If Kong did a run in 3rd like all the other graphs are then i think he will be surprised at the difference in midrange on the graph but where he would loose mid range im sure it would make more power top end.

Its not a fair compairson at all when running cars in different gears espically on a DD Dyno.

Ryan

I agree it would be different between gears (and said as much earlier in the thread too) which is why I've stuck to comparing to MR2nut's GT2876r as it's the same dyno and gear.

Ryan - I understand and agree about the difference in midrange between 3rd and 4th but would you mind explaining why I would get more power at the top end in 3rd?

In your experience is there any difference in the peak power obtained between 3rd and 4th gears assuming the same boost and AFR/timing? If so what have you found it to be roughly? Thanks.

I'd be quite interested in this too. Infact, I think I may go back to RS soon and get Paul to do me a quick 3rd gear run to see how it compares to the others.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

mr2nut123 wrote:I'd be quite interested in this too. Infact, I think I may go back to RS soon and get Paul to do me a quick 3rd gear run to see how it compares to the others.

Good idea :thumleft:

Might be good to also check you are actually achieving the same AFR+timing in your 3rd gear run to your 4th. Also the same boost level as it's possible if you don't increase the gain setting for the 3rd gear run you may end up with a little less boost than in 4th. You might need several runs to get it right but it'd be interesting to see what you find out.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:I'd be quite interested in this too. Infact, I think I may go back to RS soon and get Paul to do me a quick 3rd gear run to see how it compares to the others.

Good idea :thumleft:

Might be good to also check you are actually achieving the same AFR+timing in your 3rd gear run to your 4th. Also the same boost level as it's possible if you don't increase the gain setting for the 3rd gear run you may end up with a little less boost than in 4th. You might need several runs to get it right but it'd be interesting to see what you find out.

I'll see if he's busy and how much it will be. If it's gonna be a lot, I may as well wait until I find some cams and then try again. I guess then it will be fair comparison as they will really make a difference to spool time and hopefully make use of its top end flow rather than dropping off.
Signori

Post by Signori »

Fancy putting mine up? Got a 3rd and 4th gear run at RS Tuning.

CT20b
1bar of boost
standard rev3 engine

Last edited by Signori on Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Both done same day, same mods??
Intercooler?
Decat
filter??

Which gear is which run???
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

That's really good info - thanks for posting that up :thumleft:

It's interesting to see that in the two runs there is some trade off loss in power and torque at lower RPMs for an increase in the upper RPMs between the 2 gears.

Can you confirm which colour line is 3rd and which is 4th?

Thanks!
Signori

Post by Signori »

ooops sorry,
ok both runs were done the same day, standard intercooler, and de-cat.

The green run is 3rd gear at 281.2hp
The red run is 4th gear at 260.6hp
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Signori wrote:ooops sorry,

That's fascinating - I'd sort of suspected that red must be 4th due to there being about 200 to 300rpm spool advantage but I never thought that I would see more power by performing the dyno run in 3rd. Perhaps the extra power lost from the car operating at a higher speed outweighs any potential decrease in inertial losses in 4th gear in an MR2? Who knows but thanks again for posting that comparison.

Dang... does that mean my car and MR2nut's car might have seen the magical 400BHP on our peashooter GT28s if we'd used 3rd gear? :eye:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:
Signori wrote:ooops sorry,

That's fascinating - I'd sort of suspected that red must be 4th due to there being about 200 to 300rpm spool advantage but I never thought that I would see more power by performing the dyno run in 3rd. Perhaps the extra power lost from the car operating at a higher speed outweighs any potential decrease in inertial losses in 4th gear in an MR2? Who knows but thanks again for posting that comparison.

Dang... does that mean my car and MR2nut's car might have seen the magical 400BHP on our peashooter GT28s if we'd used 3rd gear? :eye:

lmao! :lol:

Paul said that on LARGE turbos, you see more power and torque from 4th gear, but on smaller turbos (even the lower end of the GT30 turbos) you will actually find that 3rd gear produces better results and on the road, mine definately feels a lot faster in 3rd. Mine will be going back on soon matey. Got some secret plans... :wink:

Ok i'm crap at secrets! I've just got some HKS pulleys and some 264in/264ex low lift cams on the way. Going from a lot of reading and looking at graphs over on mr2oc.com, the 264s not only outspool the standard cams on 28 and some 30 series turbos, they offer substantial gains middle to top and hold the torque soooo much better between 6.5 to 7.5k where mine takes a bit of a nose dive. The car will be a complete animal once done :twisted:
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

i also did alot of research into cams when building my engine, and found similar info to what you have on the hks 264's i hurd alot on here about the 272's being near on imposible to dial in correctly, first thing i did in the morning was order a set of hks 264's with shiny hks pulleys and matching belt im such a part whore :lol:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

GTS GAV wrote:i also did alot of research into cams when building my engine, and found similar info to what you have on the hks 264's i hurd alot on here about the 272's being near on imposible to dial in correctly, first thing i did in the morning was order a set of hks 264's with shiny hks pulleys and matching belt im such a part whore :lol:

For sure.

Check this dyno graph out. Someone in the US had one engine, and had a set of 264 lows and 272 lows. He put them both in the SAME engine running same boost, dyno and mods. The clear proof is here..

Spool and mid range are far better over a great area, and the top end is every bit as good! The only way to get the tiny extra potential out of the 272s is to raise the rev limit to around 10k and to keep the revs between 7 and 10k which is just stoopid on anything but a track/drag car.

264s ARE the cams for road going MR2s, simple as that.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

^^ there speaks the truth, what boost and turbo was was that, on the graph you posted?
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

mr2nut123 wrote:lmao! :lol:

Paul said that on LARGE turbos, you see more power and torque from 4th gear, but on smaller turbos (even the lower end of the GT30 turbos) you will actually find that 3rd gear produces better results and on the road, mine definately feels a lot faster in 3rd. Mine will be going back on soon matey. Got some secret plans... :wink:

Ok i'm crap at secrets! I've just got some HKS pulleys and some 264in/264ex low lift cams on the way. Going from a lot of reading and looking at graphs over on mr2oc.com, the 264s not only outspool the standard cams on 28 and some 30 series turbos, they offer substantial gains middle to top and hold the torque soooo much better between 6.5 to 7.5k where mine takes a bit of a nose dive. The car will be a complete animal once done :twisted:

Are you sure the 264s will outspool the stock cams? My own findings with my 268 GSC cams were that I lost maybe around 200 to 300rpm spool (potentially could have been more depending on how the cams were degreed). This was a trade off for more power in the higher RPMs.

Anyway looking forward to see where your build goes from here keep us updated
:thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

GTS GAV wrote:^^ there speaks the truth, what boost and turbo was was that, on the graph you posted?

Enjoy reading :)

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/camtest.htm
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

something like this??

nice to find goodies :mrgreen:

cna just make out the HKS, and the 264 in either pic stamped on the cams

mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

That's the ones. I will have mine soon! :twisted:

On another note, i've managed to haggle some official HKS testing documents showing the difference between standard rev3 cams and 264 cams. Hope this helps anyone considering this upgrade!

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/2 ... T-pdf.html
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Signori wrote:Fancy putting mine up? Got a 3rd and 4th gear run at RS Tuning.

CT20b
1bar of boost
standard rev3 engine

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url571.imageshack.us/url571/7504/imoc1.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url248.imageshack.us/url248/1856/imoc2.jpg

Come on Jim, wake up. Get the 3rd gear run on! :lol: :wink:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Signori wrote:Fancy putting mine up? Got a 3rd and 4th gear run at RS Tuning.

CT20b
1bar of boost
standard rev3 engine

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url571.imageshack.us/url571/7504/imoc1.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url248.imageshack.us/url248/1856/imoc2.jpg

Come on Jim, wake up. Get the 3rd gear run on! :lol: :wink:

i can, but it wouldnt show anything those pics already dont show, lol

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”