[Mk2] [NA] Offset Question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

luffy

[Mk2] [NA] Offset Question

Post by luffy »

Hi all

newbie here so dont all shout at once as im sure this question has been asked before but.

Im looking at some wheels for my mr2 rev3 and i really like the Rota Grid Drifts which are available in 16x8 ET10, i know the optimum is staggered and et35/40 so what im asking is what would and ET10 look like, would they fit if i added spacers?

cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Offset Question

Post by Ryan S »

i might be wrong but i think the would stick out, the higher the et the more the will be under the arch, i have et50 on mine and had tto get 18mm spacers to stop them rubbing on the strut.
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

its all a simple question of maths, et is the distance from the centre line of the wheel to the mounting face, for example stock wheels, 6 & 7 et 45, so the fronts are 3" from the centre to edge with the mounting face 45mm in, so in affect the rim of the wheel sits 30mm from the hub (3" - 45mm), the rears would sit 42.5mm from the hub (3.5" - 45mm) for 8" at et 10 you'll be looking at 4" - 10mm which is 90mm so the rim would sit 60mm further out at the front and 47.5mm further out at the back, spacers wont help as they're designed to help with suspension clearance on wide high offset wheels, IMHO you'll need wider arches or wheels with higher offsets, also if you're going staggered its typical to run thinner front wheels to keep the handling sweet
Ja99a

Post by Ja99a »

So using your method:
My rims are:

rears are 16 x 8JJ +52 offset
fronts are 16 x 7JJ +44 offset

rears are 8j which is 8" and 8" = 203.2mm wide
fronts are 7j which is 7" and 7" = 177.8mm wide

The rear offset is 52mm which is how far from the middle of the wheel the drive flange is towards the outer face as the ET's are +.

So middle of the rim in question is 101.6mm and the hub face is + 52mm
So the hub drive face from the inside edge of the rim is 153.6mm in????

And using the same method on the front, the drive face is 132.9mm from the inside edge.

Now my question is will these rims clear stock suspension and not stick out too far from the wheel arch.

Return to “Mechanical”