[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine Problems + vexed

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cantfindausername

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine Problems + vexed

Post by cantfindausername »

With the money thats been thrown at mine it wants to last the rest of time! :lol:

Mine is a different story though.

A compression tester isn't a bad tool to have. BUt this isn't the ideal situation to be updating your tool collection. Still, if it reveals something then its money well spent. 1
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

I can't believe new plugs and HT leads weren't used! The plugs cost peanuts! If you go down that route why not use an old cam belt? Or gaskets for that matter :roll:

What's the rev counter idle like is it bouncy or is it relatively smooth and the engine just sounds lumpy??
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

rev counter appears smooth... but the engine is very lumpy

I would say that thet HT leads and sparks were probably fine.. and changing a component if it is working properly isnt worth changing right?

well thats my feeling on it anyway.

On the weekend i will see if all 4 sparkies are sparking

watch this space :(
thebody

Post by thebody »

O this thread sounds so familar
I logik had problems with Sbits after they rebuilt his engine.
Neway you have rights mate and you should consider seeking legal advice.
Contact them again if they fail to resolve the problem contact trading standers and seek legal advice
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

This is really sad to hear mate.

Im glad to say that my engine rebuild went smooth but then again Rogue "best Mr2 engine builds in the country" built it.

If you need a hand with it im local to you and already have a compression test, timing gun etc.

let me know, :thumleft:
JJ

Post by JJ »

Plenty of support on here.. worst case scenario.. theres quite a few that will help you out in getting it running properly again ! Even I'll get dirty again !! :mrgreen:
Frustrated Pilot

There is no need to take legal action as I'm sure Sbits have their reasons for no contact. Additionally I'm sure they will do everything they can for their customers and to continue to uphold their name. The last thing they want is a bad name for engine rebuilds or lengthy repair times or repeat problems... etc

Olly, Yes m8 would REALLY like the help m8 ! Tiny offered but since he cant move from the sink and the toilet atm he expects to be incapacitated until after the weekend.

So... when are you free? :P
thebody

Post by thebody »

Frustrated Pilot wrote:There is no need to take legal action as I'm sure Sbits have their reasons for no contact. Additionally I'm sure they will do everything they can for their customers and to continue to uphold their name. The last thing they want is a bad name for engine rebuilds or lengthy repair times or repeat problems... etc

Mate come on uve just spent a lot of money getting a engine rebuild
Sorry to put it bluntly but grow some balls stick up for self if they said to me o we used some old ht leads and plugs i would of gone off my nut.
The likes of Rogue etc arnt to busy to contact there customers they always make time they just dont take the money and run.

Sound familar
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=95388.html
Frustrated Pilot

Understood.

However, if there is a significant mechanical failure I would rather things didnt get sour as if I had to send it back up for repairs (and Sbits did say if anything was wrong with their work its repaired at cost to Sbits).

Why let things degrade when a bit of patience could work out nicely.

Although my main gripe is the lack of communication. I have left calls and voice mails. No correspondence back :(

That is the main gripe..... Second to that to a car that doesnt work.

I think it is becoming quite clear that either Sbits are very busy, or this is how they treat their customers.... which in my opinion is poor play especailly when they really want the engine rebuild work.

Mine was supposed to be a prototype of their new block. I would have expeceted after care to be perfect.. does not smack of good practice, nor of referrals.

poor poor show...
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Sorry to hear. After my engine was built it also developed a misfire and ran on 3 cylinders around 1000 miles later, was very dis-heartening at the time! I returned the car and they cured it with a new set of plugs, turned out to be a (new) plug that had failed internally, so they replaced all 4 with a set of platinums, good as new since.
Frustrated Pilot

looks like there is no fuel to cylinder no 1.

From the attached photo you can see the BRAND NEW spark plugs (with less than 40 firings on them) the clean one is the one from cylinder no.1

for £40 I can get all the injectors cleaned and ported (i think) anyone have the chaps details?

I must say though that this is the 2nd engine rebuild where Sbits have had a blocked injector. I hope the engine isnt completely ruined.

:(

If you do happen to browse through this post Sbits, please can I have my EGT gauge back. You promised the gauge will be back within 1 month from the time it was sent off for repair. I am still awaiting this gauge.

Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

If you lost all fuel to the cylinder then you should be ok, if it started by going lean then obviously there could be issues. Fingers crossed for you.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Sounds silly... but have you check the injector clip ?? Often because of the age of them.. they can become brittle... and the clip can dislodge itself... I've seen it !

if it started by going lean then obviously there could be issues

Agreed.. but he'll have noticed quite a few misfires on boost first.... I think its just literially started running crap which can be a good thing !
Frustrated Pilot

Yes... I did notice misfires on boost the week before it happened.

I called Sbits to report but he said not to worry too much about it.

I noticed it when i came off the gas then re applied heavilly.. the car seemed to hang back a bit.... (not turbo lag) but the engine seemed not too happy...

So.... fingers crossed.

:pray:

( Certainly worth preying about ;) )
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Sorry to hear about your problems Paul.

Question though for you and the other chap - why the hell would either of you wait such a long time for work to be done?

If some one has my car for more than a couple of days I'm on their case asking why it hasnt been done. No job should take more than a week.
Frustrated Pilot

lol...

Matt I was the same.. but I got tired of calling all the time.

Anyways...

Its sorted now, Sbits called and replacement parts are winging their way down.

So, hopefully the new fuel rail should sort the problem out.

:pray:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I appreciate they are quite far away but I would have been on the blower to the police if they didnt do the job or give my car back PDQ.
Frustrated Pilot

Hi all,

Well, ... after replacing the fuel rail there is absolutely no difference to the way the car is running.

BIG THANKS TO TINY, who actually did the fuel rail change and did the inspections.

We checked every plug, every cable everything we could...

my only option is for Sbits to come down to sort the problem out... there is no way the car can drive up there and now the problem is completely out of my capabilities as i dont have the tools or time to look at this.

What do you all think?

I think its fair to say that Sbits should make the effort to come down and fix the car since I paid well over £5k in total for the work to be done.

The final product is not fit for purpose and has only lasted less than 500 miles.

Tiny - did you want to give your technical input?
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

The engine hasn't even finished the running in period.

They probaly wont come down to do the work, more arrange for transportation to get the car back to them.

I looked up a company on eBay who quoted me £80 for collection from Lincoln and dropping to the Gatwick area when I was looking at bringing my car back unfinished. Worth a look.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Tiny - did you want to give your technical input?

Im going to write up a comment once i get home from work as i really need to spend about an hour writing out the findings to make sure i am being 100% accurate with what i say.

the quality of work i saw for the amount of money spent was heart breaking and infuriating.

This has only served to fully reinforce what has been previously said about the company by other disatisfied customers.

Return to “Mechanical”