Nürburgring lap times

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craizeeboyuk

Nürburgring lap times

Post by craizeeboyuk »

Was chatting to a mate about cars last night ans got on to the subject of the Nürburgring. Just wondered if anyone knew the best time a mk2 turbo has done around the ring?
BarronMR

Re: Nürburgring lap times

Post by BarronMR »

A clip on youtube suggests around 9.16s.

unknown tubby definately a t-bar though.

EDIT.. its a rev3, auther says 270bhp fly usually but had boost turned down a little for that trip. Also still has 118mph limiter in place and hit it twice.

Also that he was fairly steady, he suggests in the comments that a 8:30 is possible for a tubby.
Last edited by BarronMR on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craizeeboyuk

Post by craizeeboyuk »

Yeah I've seen that myself but thought it to be rather slow. The new Renault Megane can do it in 8:17 so i would expect a tubby to get fairly close to that.
revturbo

Post by revturbo »

BarronMR wrote:A clip on youtube suggests around 9.16s.

unknown tubby definately a t-bar though.

EDIT.. its a rev3, auther says 270bhp fly usually but had boost turned down a little for that trip. Also still has 118mph limiter in place and hit it twice.

Also that he was fairly steady, he suggests in the comments that a 8:30 is possible for a tubby.

I think that may be Paul Port but can't remember his time!
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

craizeeboyuk wrote:Yeah I've seen that myself but thought it to be rather slow. The new Renault Megane can do it in 8:17 so i would expect a tubby to get fairly close to that.

Well it really depends on what kind of tubby we are talking about, for a stock rev3 I bet 8:30 is a reasonable time. Modified, who knows depends how much money has been spent and where.

The new megane in question is a limited edition stripped out version with a few more toys, not exactly your average car.

I bet around 1k on a standard tubby could wipe another 30secs off.
paul port

Post by paul port »

Yes it's me....

Three things to remember:

1) The MR2 Rev2 design was on the boards in the 1980's, it's not got the best designed suspension out there - I mean basic struts on a 'Sports' Car ??!? Any modern car - even with basic suspension will have benefited from far superior CAD technology.

2) Larger Balls could wipe another 30 Seconds off, and probably me & the car with it - I never profess to be a racing driver :oops:

3) I suspect it wasn't just anybody behind the wheel of that Megane

I'm sure there's a chap on this or the USA forum working near the ring that says he can get under 9M in a Mk2 NA...

Paul
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

BarronMR wrote:Well it really depends on what kind of tubby we are talking about, for a stock rev3 I bet 8:30 is a reasonable time. Modified, who knows depends how much money has been spent and where.

It'll depend more on the driver IMO, if I was driving, I'd be lucky to get around in under a day, but stick Sabine (sp) or someone who drives it regularily and it's a different story.

even the same driver in both cars will have benefits/difficulties if they are not used to a mid engine style car IYSWIM.

And as Paul said, these are 10-20 year old cars now.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Jaspa wrote:

It'll depend more on the driver IMO, if I was driving, I'd be lucky to get around in under a day, but stick Sabine (sp) or someone who drives it regularily and it's a different story.

And as Paul said, these are 10-20 year old cars now.

Concerning driver capability, if we are comparing to the R26.r then we should assume an experienced racing car driver with much time as they need to get the best out of the car. At that imo 8:30 is as good a guess as any for a stock tubby.

Then consider some minor modifications. We can get 300 fwhp from the ct20b, stiffen up the chassis and suspension and some more suitable alloys with modern rubber. I'd guess that'd knock around 30secs from that time.

But hey ho I don't know much about trackwork, whats the difference on the track between a stock and modified tubby? Anyone experienced care to comment?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”