[Mk2] [Generic] Big Disc Conversion.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cantfindausername

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Big Disc Conversion.

Post by cantfindausername »

YOu might be thinking of e-machine shop. Extortionate prices, but a nifty piece of freeware.

4x4 rx? Whats that?
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

cantfindausername wrote:Jap Spec haven't yet responded to my PM or Email, so not really holding out for much information from them.

I phoned them just there, they are no longer doing the adaptor due to a lack of interest from the forums. The original bracket has sadly gone with the car and thus they can't make up any more. Apparently the front brakes locked up very easily on anything other than a dry road.
cantfindausername

Thats what I was expecting the response to be if I ever got one.

Apparently the front brakes locked up very easily on anything other than a dry road.

They only upgraded the fronts on that car didn't they? And that statement is a bit of an obvious one. Give me any car without ABS on a wet road and I'll lock the brakes for you.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

indeedy.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

cantfindausername wrote:YOu might be thinking of e-machine shop. Extortionate prices, but a nifty piece of freeware.

4x4 rx? Whats that?

Possibly a Lexus RX chelsea tractor thing?

I'd be interested in the adapters but i'm trying to sort myself out a set of 17's first. Need to get rid of my 16's
cantfindausername

To remove confusion its Mazda RX8 discs that are used.

I'm going to be trying these with my Sparco 16"s so will report back with my findings.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

yes i mean the Lexus RX chelsea tractor thing,
Yas

Post by Yas »

I'd be up for rears if you go ahead :thumleft:
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
kameleon

Post by kameleon »

my setup:-

ls400 lexus/celsior discs with skyline calipers

rx8 "sport" front discs on rear
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

did u have to machine caliper adapters
kameleon

Post by kameleon »

yeah i made up some sets of the global z adapters.
cantfindausername

I've got a basic mock up done for my front adapter now. Hopefully I'll get the rear done next weekend and then I can get them machined :D
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Turbolad

Post by Turbolad »

how is going to bigger disks alone going to substantially increase the braking performance, surely this is dictated but the clamping power of the calipers and surface coverage by the brake pads?
cantfindausername

Its a simple case of more leverage. Otherwise all cars would run small discs.

Also, the bigger discs should have a greater capability where heat is concerned. These are my primary reasons for doing this modification. And it will be a load cheaper than anything I could buy.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Turbolad wrote:how is going to bigger disks alone going to substantially increase the braking performance, surely this is dictated but the clamping power of the calipers and surface coverage by the brake pads?

the bigger the disk, the cooler it runs as the heat is dispursed over a larger area. Too much heat = glazing and eventually fire!

Also larger disks increase the clamping leverage.

If you used a powerful calliper on a small disk, it will overheat very fast. A larger disk is an improvement due to heat and leverage advantages, but a better calliper 'As well' would be the perfect setup. However, thats when it starts getting very expensive.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Simple physics. Torque = force X distance. As Ryan stated if you simply increase force to achieve more torque you run the very real risk of over heating the disc to the detriment of braking efficiency.

Ant, are the mock ups you're doing for standard calipers on larger discs or for the GT4 calipers? I can't remember lol :oops:
cantfindausername

Slarty, I'm just doing it for the standard calipers on 323mm discs at the moment. Once I've done this project, and I've got a little more savings in the bank, if I feel its worth while I'll do an upgrade for something like wilwood calipers or something else that people can get off the shelf. That would require a lot more investigation into piston size, MC set up etc. Need to see how these come out first though. Then I'll put the feelers out to see if there is a group buy posibility for these.

I've got the Front adapter drawing completed now and have sent it to a friend of mine to be checked to make sure I'm not missing anything that the Machine shop will need. Been years since I've done any technical drawing... but I'm loving doing this! :oops:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
cantfindausername

RyanRs wrote:
Turbolad wrote:how is going to bigger disks alone going to substantially increase the braking performance, surely this is dictated but the clamping power of the calipers and surface coverage by the brake pads?

the bigger the disk, the cooler it runs as the heat is dispursed over a larger area. Too much heat = glazing and eventually fire!

Also larger disks increase the clamping leverage.

If you used a powerful calliper on a small disk, it will overheat very fast. A larger disk is an improvement due to heat and leverage advantages, but a better calliper 'As well' would be the perfect setup. However, thats when it starts getting very expensive.

Exactely the reason I'm doing this project. I want a cheap - and I mean as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality big brake conversion.

A change of calipers could be on the distant horizon though, depending how the stock calipers perform. After this upgrade I'll be working on cooling ducts for this set up. - got me some plans. :wink:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Just done a little pricing up,

Supra front discs (on http://www.brakesint.co.uk/ )

L/H = BDS5622 - £61.51
R/H = BDS5623 - £61.51

Mazda front discs (for rear)

BDS56178 - £55.41

All prices are each, excluding VAT (I think!) and delivery which is around £7.50 + VAT depending on area.

So, for me, that little lot comes to.......£274.76 plus delivery..

You will of course need to add a full set of pads to that but seeing as different people like/want different pads I've left that out.
cantfindausername

I managed to get the following from a local motor factor.

Supra: £149.50
RX8: £112.65

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get prices for adapters out to peoeple by next week. Not got as much interest as I was hoping but still, it will be worth it. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “Modifications”