[Mk2] [NA] Beams Turbo

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

THE DUKE

[Mk2] [NA] Beams Turbo

Post by THE DUKE »

Just spotted this on the Phoenixs power website...

How cool!

jon_st205

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Beams Turbo

Post by jon_st205 »

Plenty about now - Patrick is selling a fully forged one at the moment.

However, the Phoenix Power one appears not to be intercooled! :shock: :lol:
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Yeah, no lag there :)

I've been off the MR2 scene for a while, first time i've spotted one, looks kinda cool.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

[quote="jon_st205"]Plenty about now - Patrick is selling a fully forged one at the moment.

Any idea how much one of these go for?
Mr2'less
ashley

Post by ashley »

Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Phhhffft :lol: think i'll pass on that then lol.
Mr2'less
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Anymore photos/details? Link?
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I dont understand the fascination, the beams engine is good because its a NA engine. Why deface it with a turbo.

Graeme
Baker

Post by Baker »

cos its even faster?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Buy a turbo to start with if you want faster. The Beams is great as a quick everyday car :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

I kind of agree with Graeme and Chris, but if you're a follower why not I guess?

I don't believe there's plenty in any way but aside from Patricks fully built one (which I think will be in a different leage), I know one guy in the US is piecing together a turbo conversion at the moment and one guy in AUS who is close to getting his Rotrex supercharged one running now. Both guys building up their spare red tops then swapping the stock one out.

I think if I'd spent the money I'd want the security of an IC or CC though.

...Forced induction Altezza's seem to be cropping up more often recently though.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I do understand why people do it, but its not the way forward in my personal opinion, just like I dont agree with body kits and replica kits on mr2s, its personal preference.

I just think the beams engine was purely designed to be a quick NA engine.

I hope they dropped the compression on that engine before running a turbo without an intercooler.

Graeme
RST

Post by RST »

Graeme,

Shouldn't have had to touch anything inside I think running just under 6psi boost -not doing that much different from some of the the MK 3 guys I think though personally I'd have fitted some sort of cooling. I got pointed out tonight that it probably doesn't need cooling at that pressure :? . More interesting is the ECU -can't see any MAF in there though there may be one.

...Compare it with someone I've spoken to who who is taking an ST205 GT4, ditching the rev 3 3SGTE engine, trying to retro-fit a black top Altezza engine incl changing the gear box arrangement. But totally blueprinting the engine and going the FI route. Probably can buy a Gt4 for the price of the black top engine and converting it, then there's stripping the engine with forged internals and machining (all custom work). Why bother, for half the money you would have the same output from the 3SGTE and it would essentlially be the same apart from the kudos though the VVT-i would be different -in any case the guy says it's a show car and won't be tracked??? Guy won't consider anything other than Motec either so he's potentially paying double for an ECU without considering alternatives!

.....Fair play to him though I am glad to see folk playing with engines on a more reasonable scale.

Bit OT -but on top of the struts in the original pic that car has metal plates -I know they're supposed to increse strength but do they really?
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I dont know a great deal about the beams engine, but I was under the impression the CR was really high compared to the 3sge etc, high compression and turbocharged temperatures dont normally mix very well.

Whatever boost they are running its obviously holding up anyway so fair play there lol I would of still fitted a cooler tho.

Graeme
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Didn't andy forest convert his scoob torun on methanol which due to silly low temps, allow him to run non IC, looked really strange, loads of room up front with tubby going straight to TB!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Didnt he also put nitromethane through it and blow the head off?
RST

Post by RST »

I am reliably informed from banding this about the guys on the beams forum that the phonexs power conversion costs about $9,000 incl installation. That's allot of cash I have to admit -I would want allot more for the money having found that out!

...Engine should hold out at that level OK but I think we think an IC or CC would be included that that price for security surely. Gotta love the Jap's for ingenuity though!

...funny enough I came very close to FI on mine recently, and was perhaps recommended WI but I would still prefer a CC set-up personally.
toyokid

Beams tastic?

Post by toyokid »

Hi

Sorry for posting what might seem like an ignorant question,
but were there any Beams engined MR2s' produced by the factory?

Curious

Stephen
fizz

Re: Beams tastic?

Post by fizz »

toyokid wrote:Hi

Sorry for posting what might seem like an ignorant question,
but were there any Beams engined MR2s' produced by the factory?

Curious

Stephen

Yup... :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

www.beams-redtop.com

...some argument about actual numbers but in the MR2 about 1000 JDM only between 1998 ish and end of mk 2 production, or 999 minus 1 to get mine as a straight swap LoL :D .

...hope Rogue don't mind me using that pic. There are a few owners of original JDM rev 5 G-Ltd red tops in the UK, but not very many resgsister on the forum alas.

Return to “Modifications”