Were LSD's fitted to n/a's?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

anthonyg

Were LSD's fitted to n/a's?

Post by anthonyg »

Just a quick question, i'm trying to decide what car to base next years Nurburgring thrasher on and was wandering, were any of the Mk2 n/a's fitted with LSD from factory or would i have to fit aftermarket diff or get hold of a tubby gearbox or whats the easiest way around it?

Cheers :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Were LSD's fitted to n/a's?

Post by toxo »

The search function is your friend :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99513

Rogue wrote:They were optional from revision 4, and IIRC the EPC lists them as standard equipment for about the last six months of production.

A lot of people with revision 5 S54 gearboxes are unaware that they have a limited slip differential because they are of the torque sensing (torsen) type. They're notoriously difficult to test for and you can't tell just by jacking the wheels up and spinning them.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
steve b

Post by steve b »

Woodsport will convert n/a boxes to TorSen LSD using mk3 diffs :)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

toxo wrote:The search function is your friend :thumleft:

Rogue wrote:They were optional from revision 4, and IIRC the EPC lists them as standard equipment for about the last six months of production.

A lot of people with revision 5 S54 gearboxes are unaware that they have a limited slip differential because they are of the torque sensing (torsen) type. They're notoriously difficult to test for and you can't tell just by jacking the wheels up and spinning them.

Lol - that saved me some typing! As Steve says, the torsen diffs are interchangeable between mk2 n/a and mk3 gearboxes. You may also find the occasional MR2 Championship racer who finds one in their gearbox and can't use it...

Patrick
anthonyg

Post by anthonyg »

toxo wrote:The search function is your friend :thumleft:

:? I did try the search but i didn't find that. Cheers :thumleft:
anthonyg

Post by anthonyg »

Are the torsen type any good and are there helical options available for the mk2 n/a?
Marf

Post by Marf »

anthonyg wrote:Are the torsen type any good and are there helical options available for the mk2 n/a?

Same question but for a tubby.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Marf wrote:
anthonyg wrote:Are the torsen type any good and are there helical options available for the mk2 n/a?

Helical & Torsen is the same thing, also the same thing as a "quaif" type.

I thought (maybe wrong) early tubbys if they had an LSD had a plate diff and then later on Torsen as stock.

Plate type are more aggressive than torsen, my Eunos has a Torsen it only really comes into play when on power and loaded up. i.e. put a wheel on wet grass one on tarmac and it'll sit spinning the wheel on grass as it doesn't generate any load. Be on power exiting a dry grippy corner and it loads up and bites hard.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Marf

Post by Marf »

steve b wrote:
Marf wrote:

Helical & Torsen is the same thing, also the same thing as a "quaif" type.

I thought (maybe wrong) early tubbys if they had an LSD had a plate diff and then later on Torsen as stock.

The early tubbys have a viscous coupling, I'd much rather have a helical one, assuming that is that the helical ones on later cars bite up faster than the viscous units.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I was under the impression all MK2 turbo's had a viscous diff?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

anthonyg wrote:Just a quick question, i'm trying to decide what car to base next years Nurburgring thrasher on and was wandering, were any of the Mk2 n/a's fitted with LSD from factory or would i have to fit aftermarket diff or get hold of a tubby gearbox or whats the easiest way around it?

Cheers :thumleft:

Yep - our rev 5 NA has LSD - great fun :thumleft:
anthonyg

Post by anthonyg »

Cheers guys, starting to get somewhere now :thumleft:

SO...... New question.....

Which type of diff will lock up the quickest and most often, where do i get one from and how much will it cost?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Rogue wrote:Consider it confirmed. They were optional from revision 4, and IIRC the EPC lists them as standard equipment for about the last six months of production.

Just to clarify, last 6 months of production...
Do you mean the last 6 months of the rev4 NA had LSD as standard ?
Or the last 6 months of the NA mk2's in total had LSD as standard ?

I have an EPC, but still can't figure whether I have LSD.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Marf wrote:
The early tubbys have a viscous coupling, I'd much rather have a helical one, assuming that is that the helical ones on later cars bite up faster than the viscous units.

LOL, I thought it was the other way around!
I'm pretty sure rev1 tubbies had plate LSDs which are prone to wearing out, but are more agressive when in good shape. Rev2 onward had viscous coupled diffs, which are less agressive (a good thing for a road car) and much more reliable.

Patrick, you'll know the truth :lol:

My old tubby had an uprated LSD and it was interesting to say the least. Prepare for power-understeer and lift-off oversteer if you want an agressive diff! If it locks under deceleration (2 way diff), it'll cause understeer into a corner too. Basically, I wan't a good enough driver to get the best out of it!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

anthonyg wrote:Cheers guys, starting to get somewhere now :thumleft:

Which type of diff will lock up the quickest and most often, where do i get one from and how much will it cost?

If you want a tight diff a plate type is the best option. Rev1's had plate type diffs as did MK1 SC's. Am not sure if there are any fitting issues with an NA box though. IME the plate diff's i've tried on SC's always seem to be very tight which is exactly what you want on track.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
anthonyg

Post by anthonyg »

Lauren wrote:
anthonyg wrote:Cheers guys, starting to get somewhere now :thumleft:

If you want a tight diff a plate type is the best option. Rev1's had plate type diffs as did MK1 SC's. Am not sure if there are any fitting issues with an NA box though. IME the plate diff's i've tried on SC's always seem to be very tight which is exactly what you want on track.

Thanks Lauren, i did think about a Mk1 SC but after having one i fancy trying a mk2 n/a as they are a cheap base with 170bhp as standard and i really want to try nitrous :lol:

It's either that or Sierra Sapphire with a Granada Cosworth Engine as i'm also really fancying something v6/v8....

I take it i could just get a rev1 box with a plate diff and fit it to a rev 3 n/a or will need the shafts aswell?
Do plate diffs wear out, whats the average life span.....ish?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

anthonyg wrote:
Thanks Lauren, i did think about a Mk1 SC but after having one i fancy trying a mk2 n/a as they are a cheap base with 170bhp as standard and i really want to try nitrous :lol:

It's either that or Sierra Sapphire with a Granada Cosworth Engine as i'm also really fancying something v6/v8....

I take it i could just get a rev1 box with a plate diff and fit it to a rev 3 n/a or will need the shafts aswell?
Do plate diffs wear out, whats the average life span.....ish?

I'm not sure on the compatibility with a rev1 box and NA driveshafts. You certainly needed the driveshafts with an SC box to convert a MK1. I guess safest bet is to get the driveshafts as well because then you know it will work.

I expect someone else will know if there is a difference driveshaft wise between a tubby and an NA.

Well plate diff's can wear out though mine must be 20 years old now and was still going strong the last I heard, so as long as it's nice and tight it should be fine.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Rogue wrote:As Steve says, the torsen diffs are interchangeable between mk2 n/a and mk3 gearboxes.

What about between NA and Turbo boxes?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”