are side indicators an M.O.T requirment?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andyc1988

are side indicators an M.O.T requirment?

Post by andyc1988 »

The bomex nose cone now fitted on my two has removed the standard strip for the side indicators and so at present has no indicators on the side of the car. I have heard if they are not fitted that they dont get tested? will I pass or will I get problems do you rekon?
Thanks in advance for your input.
JimmyTheKosh

Re: are side indicators an M.O.T requirment?

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

Hope this helps

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986:

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Exempt Vehicles:

Direction indicators and hazard warning devices are not required by regulations on vehicles not fitted with any front or rear position lamps, nor are they required on vehicles first used before 1 January 1936.
But, if they are fitted, they must be tested.

Basicaly if youve got headlights, you have to have indicators..........i think.
The question about the requirement of indicators for M.O.T has always brought mixed opinions, personaly i think your best bet would be to give a testing station a quick call as its them that have the say.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Yes - you absolutely do require side repeaters to pass an MOT test. Not only that, but they have to be visible from a certain angle when viewed from the rear of the car - to the letter of the law, the toblerone front indicators on Japanese models are not legal in the UK.

That said, IIRC the MOT requirement is that side repeaters are fitted and working and their location is outside the scope of the tester's remit.

Patrick
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

Thanks for your help, took the 2 for the M.O.T without any and she failed ,but this was due to a knackered rear caliper and they said nothing about the side indicators :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

andyc1988 wrote:Thanks for your help, took the 2 for the M.O.T without any and she failed ,but this was due to a knackered rear caliper and they said nothing about the side indicators :thumleft:

Mine passed fine with no side indicators.

Also the police looked over my car and said nothing about them either

Maybe When you tell them its a Jap import they just think it doesnt need them due to being an import??

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”