[Mk2] [Turbo] Speedo problem still here 3 months later help required

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

NORRISMR2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Speedo problem still here 3 months later help required

Post by NORRISMR2 »

MR2 TURBO REV 3

I dunno what to do and need all help can get from you guys...

Car went for rebuild came back and speedo needle was bouncing about up and down frantically....

so i read up went to local scrappers and got an st205 celica speedo sender from the gearbox and the plug from the loom which connects onto it...

I removed my sender and joined the st205 plug to my loom...then the speedo quit working all together....

I went to other end speedo clocks and had a tinker in behind them removing delimter connecting up original speed signal wire (purple)..still nothing...

I then bought a 2nd set of clocks which werent right model i later found out rev 2 and mines a rev 3 but these obviously didnt work once fitted

When clocks were out i took speedo clock out of the speedo pod and replaced it again, the needle may have been touched slightly or moved :oops:

now the needle jumps to 50mph when the car ignition is turned and sitting at idle and doesnt move...

the ecu is receiving error as engine management light comes on after a short while of driving....

where do i begin to rectify this problem all help needed...

is the needle jumping to 50mph because needle has been moved?
jon

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Speedo problem still here 3 months later help required

Post by jon »

Do you have a multimeter? If so you can do some basic checks to make sure the wiring is OK.

With the ignition on, check you're getting about 13v on pin 1 (black/yellow) on the speed sensor connector. Also check the resistance between pin 2 (brown) and a grounding point on the chassis, the resistance should be lower than 200 ohms.

If both those pins check out OK, then the speed sensor should be getting the power it needs, and problem is either the speedo clock or the wiring from the sensor to the clocks.

Cheers,
Jon

Return to “Electrical”